The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 31, 2019, 02:45 PM   #1
PhotonGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 1, 2019
Posts: 104
GOA

The GOA the Gun Owners of America in some ways I prefer better than the NRA. The NRA does have some good programs and I will definitely keep my membership but I when it comes to fighting for 2A rights the GOA has it made, more so than the NRA. The GOA is less compromising, fights harder, and if the GOA had the money, resources, and membership level of the NRA we would've won the war on gun rights by now.
PhotonGuy is offline  
Old March 31, 2019, 03:42 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff
 
Join Date: February 12, 2001
Location: DFW Area
Posts: 22,368
Quote:
...if the GOA had the money, resources, and membership level of the NRA we would've won the war on gun rights by now.
NRA membership levels amount to about 2% of the adults in the U.S. 2% of the country is not enough to force Congress to comply if the other 98% don't agree.
__________________
Do you know about the TEXAS State Rifle Association?
JohnKSa is offline  
Old March 31, 2019, 04:25 PM   #3
sigarms228
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 29, 2011
Posts: 1,600
I dropped my membership to GOA and instead send that amount to NRA-ILA and SAF. After some research I had found very little that the GOA had actually done for Second Amendment Rights such as winning court cases at federal and state level. As JohnkSa pointed out the big problem is a very small minority of firearm owners financially support ANY Second Amendment Rights organization and take their Second Amendment rights for granted or otherwise justify not doing so.
__________________
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by sigarms228; March 31, 2019 at 04:34 PM.
sigarms228 is offline  
Old March 31, 2019, 04:39 PM   #4
TXAZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 5, 2010
Location: McMurdo Sound Texas
Posts: 3,674
I'd submit negotiations / politics-wise it's a better approach to have a more non-compromising group (GOA) calling out NRA and the gun-haters. It makes NRA look more reasonable to many.
__________________
!أنا لست إرهابياً
TXAZ is offline  
Old March 31, 2019, 07:03 PM   #5
dogtown tom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 23, 2006
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,409
Quote:
PhotonGuy ...The GOA is less compromising, fights harder,
The only thing the GOA mantra of "no compromise" gets them is donations. They really accomplish very little. Few congressmen have ever heard of GOA, much less fear it.



Quote:
and if the GOA had the money, resources, and membership level of the NRA we would've won the war on gun rights by now.
Based on what success? The only success GOA talks about is when they piggybacked on lawsuits filed and funded by others.
__________________
Need a FFL in Dallas/Plano/Allen/Frisco/McKinney ? Just EMAIL me. $20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
dogtown tom is offline  
Old March 31, 2019, 08:12 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff
 
Join Date: March 11, 2006
Location: Upper US
Posts: 19,799
Quote:
NRA membership levels amount to about 2% of the adults in the U.S. 2% of the country is not enough to force Congress to comply if the other 98% don't agree.
No, its not enough if the other 98% disagree, but first off, the other 98% would have trouble agreeing that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

The other thing, and the one the numbers alone don't show, is the real reason the NRA is so respected/feared. Those who AGREE with NRA members and VOTE, but aren't NRA members.

A Silent majority kind of thing. Politicians know that its not JUST the NRA members, but their families, friends and others who aren't on the NRA's member lists but hold similar opinions about the issues, and do vote, that give the NRA its political clout.

PLUS its the tendency of firearms enthusiasts to make the gun issue THEIR issue, and vote against gun control politicians, even when they agree with them on other issues.

So, belong to as many pro gun groups as you want, just remember that while you may disagree on tactics, we are all on the same side.
__________________
All else being equal (and it almost never is) bigger bullets tend to work better.
44 AMP is offline  
Old March 31, 2019, 08:34 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff
 
Join Date: September 25, 2008
Location: CONUS
Posts: 12,237
I agree with both of dogtown tom's statements:

Quote:
The only thing the GOA mantra of "no compromise" gets them is donations. They really accomplish very little. Few congressmen have ever heard of GOA, much less fear it.
And:

Quote:
Based on what success? The only success GOA talks about is when they piggybacked on lawsuits filed and funded by others.
Especially number two. GOA is quick to claim credit for wins in court but, when you check into it, it's usually either the NRA or the SAF who funded and organized the lawsuit, paid the principal lawyers, and did the heavy lifting.
Aguila Blanca is offline  
Old April 2, 2019, 12:36 PM   #8
5whiskey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2005
Location: US
Posts: 3,120
Quote:
I'd submit negotiations / politics-wise it's a better approach to have a more non-compromising group (GOA) calling out NRA and the gun-haters. It makes NRA look more reasonable to many.
I'd submit that you may be on to something here, although I don't know how much affect it really has. The GOA is little known outside of us hard core gun guys.

Quote:
Based on what success? The only success GOA talks about is when they piggybacked on lawsuits filed and funded by others.
Ha! Like claiming that they significantly influenced Heller! The Libertarians over at CATO institute deserve ALL the credit for heavy lifting on that one. All GOA did there was file an Amicus brief. Well, so did dozens of other organizations. Heck the ILEETA (International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association) filed a brief supporting Heller, at the behest and with the support of elected District Attorneys from Orange, San Bernadino, and Fresno Counties in CALIFORNIA (YES! California elected officials supported the Heller case on our side!). So did the Retired Military Officers, several congressmen, Dick Cheney, Congress of Racial Equality (with support from NAACP)... all in favor of Heller and his individual RKBA. Tons of authorities filed an Amicus brief, GOA isn't "special" there. NRA is often vilified over their early hesitation to endorse Heller, but Justice Stevens himself came out and documented the fact that the Heller decision was basically a battle between himself and Justice Scalia lobbying Justice Kennedy (the infamous swing vote). Stevens takes credit for influencing some of the alleged "poison pill" language in Scalia's opinion. So the NRA, at that time, recognized that it would all come down to Kennedy and was being prudent in their approach.


I'm not against GOA, but I'm not a member. My individual analysis is that they do attempt to take more than their share of credit.
__________________
Support the NRA-ILA Auction, ends 03/09/2018

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
5whiskey is offline  
Old April 6, 2019, 08:37 AM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff
 
Join Date: September 27, 2008
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
Posts: 12,415
Quote:
Like claiming that they significantly influenced Heller!
They also claimed to have done the heavy lifting when Ohio got concealed carry, while the folks working on the state level have no recollection of anyone from GOA being present, much less doing anything.
__________________
Sometimes it’s nice not to destroy the world for a change.
--Randall Munroe
Tom Servo is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.05842 seconds with 10 queries