The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Longshot4

L.E. Wilson trimmer case holders

I ordered a new case trimmer from L.E. Wilson. I also needed a case holder for my 22 K Hornet so I was only able to purchase a 22 Hornet case holder. These case holders hold the case like a tight chamber would.

Well I figured that the body taper was the same but it isn't. So now some how I believe I need to have the case holder reamed to the K Hornet taper since Wilson doesn't have a K Hornet listed. I would go to the smith that reamed the chamber to get the reamer but he is no longer available.

Dose any one have a suggestion?
Old August 16, 2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Marco Califo

Contact Wilson. They will probably do it for you.

Of course, you should be resizing before trimming. The resizing is what causes case length to grow. Resizing may make your cases fit better into the holder. I have the Wilson set up and 308 fit AFTER resizing, but not before.

Last edited by Marco Califo; August 17, 2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: DOH!
Old August 17, 2015, 06:48 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Quote:
Well I figured that the body taper was the same but it isn't.
Longshot4, I have case trimmers with pilots that will not fit the case neck after sizing, . Simple solution trim before sizing or get into mortal combat when removing the case from the pilot. OR: Grind the pilot to fit.

Again, This stuff does not drive me to the curb, I also have form/trim dies, a most accurate way to trim cases to length.

Back to the Wilson. There are two case holders, one for fired cases and one for sized cases . I inserted the eek because most internet reloaders insist 'only' trim after sizing. And then they get all snarky, that makes it difficult to discuss apexes and tappers.

If your holder is loose after sizing trim first.

F. Guffey
Old August 24, 2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Longshot4

Marco
Thanks that is a good idea. I contacted Wilson by E-Mail and they asked that I send it to them the holder with 3 cases in condition that I intend to trim them in. They also asked that I send them coverage for return shipping and that's all.
I think that L.E. Wilson is a quality outfit.

Guffey
You always have more than one way to skin a cat and I thank you for your input.
Even though I live in a industrial area I am not a machinist with all the options at hand. I thank you any way.
Old August 24, 2015, 06:15 PM   #5
gunnny12

Have to agree Longshot, they make fine stuff.
Got the 30/06 case one great so ordered the 270 one.
Old August 25, 2015, 06:00 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Thank you, more times than not I get 'The Vinney' response, it goes something like "I'm so confused".

Skinning a cat and trimming with the L.E. Wilson case trimmer. There are those that insist on trimming after sizing. I have equipment that not work like that, I have pilots that will not fit the neck of the case after the case is sized. Rather than get into mortal combat with the case trimmer when shoving the case onto the pilot and removing the case from the pilot after trimming I trimmed the neck before sizing. I am talking about 'before the Internet'.

Then there are cases that have the same shoulder/case body with different neck diameters and lengths. The Wilson case trimmer is not new. Reloaders having a problem holding the case is an old problem. Sizing before or after sizing has always been an option, except for those that insist on sizing first before trimming.

My favorite and most accurate case trimmer is a file.

F. Guffey
Old August 25, 2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Longshot4

Guffy
I can't disagree with you. You are a machinist and seam to haven't forgot about the basic tools... Like the handling and care of a fine file.
Old August 25, 2015, 10:02 PM   #8
F. Guffey

Quote:
Guffy
I can't disagree with you. You are a machinist and seam to haven't forgot about the basic tools... Like the handling and care of a fine file.
Quote:
My favorite and most accurate case trimmer is a file.
I have forming dies, my forming dies double as trim dies.

Quote:
My favorite and most accurate case trimmer is a file
When I use the forming dies I use the 'man tool', the hack saw, after the hack saw I use the file to finish. the form/trim die is one of the most accurate method for trimming cases.

"handling and care of a fine file", I have fine files, I am not talking about files I am afraid to use, when trimming cases above the die I knock the case above the die off. It is much easier to clean a course file than a fine file. Yes I have file brushes, at least 3.

F. Guffey
Old August 25, 2015, 10:07 PM   #9
F. Guffey

I also have the case trimmers that are attached to an electric motor, cutters for the trimmers with electric motors cost $15.00 each. Then there are case holders, about $45.00 each. Files? I have not purchased a file in over 40 years, if I ware out a file I have another to take its place JIC.

F. Guffey