The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2015, 01:50 PM   #1
TruGrit1960

8lbs of HP-38...Am I CRAZY for....

Stopped by the local gun shop today and to my shock they had an 8lb container of HP-38 ($179)! Even though I haven't used W231/HP38 before, am I CRAZY for not buying this container?! I have wanted to try this powder and can't find a lb container anywhere. I use primarily Bullseye, TiteGroup and Power Pistol now but have read/heard such great things about W231/HP38 that I'm tempted to drive back to the LGS and buy 8lbs ?

A general "any thoughts" question. Also, this is my first post so go easy on the newbie!
Old August 20, 2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Sevens

I probably look at powder quite differently than many and certainly differently than newer handloaders. So what I would do is probably NOT helpful at this point.

Yes, you probably should purchase that powder. If stored properly, it won't go bad in the next 30 years, even if it takes you that long to use it. It is popular and hard to find for a reason.
Old August 20, 2015, 02:01 PM   #3
condor bravo

Yes if 231 is that hard to come by, join the ranks of the crazies. I'm crazy too, recently paid $250 for five pounds of Trail Boss (but volume wise that is nine of the usual one pound cans, each filled completely to the brim).
Old August 20, 2015, 02:35 PM   #4
mikld

Welcome 'grit!

HP38 is very successful loaded in several calibers. I've only used it in my 38 Specials, .357 Magnums, 9mm, .44 Specials, .44 Magnums, and 45 ACP. But there are many others that work well with HP38/W296. I don't think you done wrong...
Old August 20, 2015, 02:40 PM   #5
TruGrit1960

Thanks for the replies Sevens & condor bravo, I appreciate the opinions! I'm leaning towards buying...just bought 2 new trail cameras and a tree stand for deer season that starts in 3 weeks, so the HP38 showed up at a bad time on the "hobbies" budget!! lol
Old August 20, 2015, 02:43 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Hi. Never buy components in bulk until you have worked up a load. It's possible your firearm will not like HP38. No point having a keg of stuff you can't use. Does become trading goods though.
Old August 20, 2015, 04:26 PM   #7
TMD

W231 / HP38 is my pet powder for my .45acps. Sadly I haven't seen any on the shelves for about 2 years. I think I'm down to my last pound.
Old August 20, 2015, 04:40 PM   #8
condor bravo

While I'm in favor of making the buy, to be practical I guess you do need to consider if 8 pounds would be on the far side; depend somewhat on the number of calibers you would use it for and amount of shooting to be done. Now, there is a frustrating web site out there called Reloading Unlimited. They are over priced but often do have hard to find powders. I just checked it for the w231 and after finally being able to make a search, a hit brought up what appeared to be the availability of one and four pound containers of the 231. But then I hit the wrong thing and lost the page before I could study it and could not get it back. But if you would like to fight with that site, difficult to find what you might be looking for, you could try bringing up the 231 powder and see if the smaller containers are available.
Old August 20, 2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

You're crazy

More seriously, W231/HP-38 is among the most tried and true pistol propellants - ever. It's a "sure thing," even if you've never loaded with it before. I don't know anybody who doesn't like it. Works great for many calibers, but is a particularly outstanding performer in 38 Special and 45 ACP.
Old August 20, 2015, 05:42 PM   #10
KEYBEAR

I have a keg of AA-9 I just used up today . Loaded 120 44 Mags today and before I tossed the bottle I looked at the price $76.95 .

I do not use AA-9 much anymore but did look up the price on a replacement of the same $147.95
Old August 20, 2015, 05:42 PM   #11
kosby

I'd buy it while you can.
Old August 20, 2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Average Joe

Plenty of other powders on the market that do the same thing...I would not pay that for any powder.
Old August 20, 2015, 11:28 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

That's over $22.00/ lb. I personally would pass since I don't really need it. If there is only one there it will probably be gone by now anyway. In a 45
Colt it would make about 8,000 rounds. Could be a lifetime supply for some folks.
Old August 21, 2015, 03:52 AM   #14
Gravedigger56

With all the rumors floating around it's probably already gone.
Old August 21, 2015, 07:10 AM   #15
TruGrit1960

During shooting league last night I asked a friend if he used W231/HP38, which he does! I asked if he wanted to split it with me and he does! Can't get back to the LGS until this afternoon, but if the 8lb'r is still there it's mine!!

Thanks for all the input guys, lots of good thoughts!
Old August 21, 2015, 10:24 AM   #16
Nick_C_S

So am I crazy too??

Well, Cabela's has had TiteGroup for many days now (well over a week, I believe). The thing has been staring me in the face on Gunbot for some time now.

I decided not to wait for my LGS to have a pound for me to test.

I just went ahead an bought 4#'s (4 one-pound containers) of TiteGroup - untested.

I figure dozens of folks here on TFL praising the performance of TiteGroup can't all be wrong. The chances of me finding it so hideous as to be only good for lawn fertilizer is nil, right?
Old August 21, 2015, 04:15 PM   #17
TruGrit1960

I bought the 8lb'r of HP38, splitting with a friend. It was actually $167 plus tax, I feel good about buying it having heard good things here on TFL! Plus I load a lot of 45 and can't wait to see the results!
Old August 21, 2015, 04:40 PM   #18
serf 'rett

I think you will find the W231 will produce great target loads for your 45Auto. I also load it in 9mm for use in pistol matches. I haven found a couple of good W231 loads for my 40S&W; however, the tightest groups are with the 45.
Old August 21, 2015, 04:49 PM   #19
TruGrit1960

serf...I am loading 9mm 124gr LRN also and have switched to 200gr LRNFP in 45ACP. Care to share a couple of your favorite loads, if you use the same/close to the same bullets?
Old August 21, 2015, 08:02 PM   #20
Kosh75287

Pretty good powder.

If I simply HAD to be stuck with 8 pounds of SOME pistol powder, W231 would not be a bad one to be stuck with. It is more versatile than the 8-pound keg of RedDot (Promo) sitting in my reloading room, which is already QUITE versatile.

Anyone who's read my posts knows of my affection for Alliant Unique, but I have to say that W231 is a pretty good powder to have. I don't think it's as versatile as Unique, but it's still pretty versatile, plus it tends to meter much better. For smaller capacity cases, it's as good a powder as you'll find. It's a little bit "short-legged" for the magnum set, though it still sees use in them. If you are a high-volume shooter, you'll eventually go through the entire 8 pounds. If not, you may find that 8 pounds of W231 lasts a VERY long time.

I wouldn't say that you're CRAZY for not jumping on it, but you should seriously consider going back after it. If you find an 8-pound keg of Unique, let ME know about it, okay?

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old August 21, 2015, 08:14 PM   #21
condor bravo

Kosh:
He did buy it; see his post #17. We all like to help other people spend their money.
Old August 21, 2015, 08:51 PM   #22
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I load a lot of 45 and can't wait to see the results!
TrueGrit1960, you're not going to be disappointed. I've been loading 5.0gn W231 under a 200gn LSWC in 45 ACP for decades. Quite possibly my most tried n true round. Can shoot the eyebrow off a gnat at 15 yards.
Old August 22, 2015, 02:18 PM   #23
WVsig

I almost paid $189 OTD for a jug of HP-38 back in Feb. I ended up getting some at Wideners 2 8lb jugs for $140 each delivered, including shipping and Hazmat Fee.

I am new to reloading and this is the first powder I loaded with. I have had good results with 9mm, 45 ACP and 38spl. As others have said it is a versatile and reliable powder.
Old August 22, 2015, 04:40 PM   #24
Kosh75287

WHAT!?! I have to read all the OTHER posts before replying to the OP!?! Perish forbid! [email protected] unsporting, and all that!

But seriously, TRUEGRIT1960, I'll bet that you'll like HP-38/W231. I haven't used it in years, but I would do so tomorrow, if I couldn't find my favorites on the shelf. The way things are going, I may YET get the opportunity...

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old August 22, 2015, 05:30 PM   #25
condor bravo

No doubt good to have bought it. According to some posts in the Powder Inventory thread, the 231 is supposed to be discontinued.