The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 8, 2001, 11:28 AM   #1
exilefromhell

Armed robbery

Scenerio- you are held at gun point w/ or w/out your family. You have a concealed weapons permit and you are armed. You can choose to discuss either one or both. What do you do?

This is a simple but serious question. You can inject the envirnment. I.e. back alley, daytime or night, etc. I can not seem to answer this question for myself because of all the variables.

Thanks
Old November 8, 2001, 12:36 PM   #2
David Scott

If you're already at gunpoint, it may be too late to act. You should have been more aware of your surroundings and not let yourself be cornered. You may have to just give them what they want as long as it look like they'll go away when they get it. Here in FL you can't shoot them once they have your wallet and are running away.

If you are confident in your quick draw, and carrying strong side, the motion of drawing is a lot like reaching for your wallet. If you take this chance you must fire from the hip as soon as you clear leather. Doing this depends on how many of them there are and whether or not you have innocents with you.

A distraction would help, of course. I always carry my keys in my left hand with my thumb on the truck's alarm panic button.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
Old November 8, 2001, 01:51 PM   #3
Betty

In my case, it would most likely be a hit-and-run purse snatching, but let’s say he wants more, like my jewelry or my body. We’re in a secluded alleyway. He’s standing no more than a foot away from me with the gun up to my head, yelling in my face to intimidate me. I’m a sniveling weak female, and not perceived as a threat to him. I’m supposed to comply.

I’m not stupid enough to draw on a guy who’s got a gun up to my head, but the first second that barrel isn’t pointed at me, he’s fair game. My hands, already up to my face in a defensive “please don’t hurt me, take whatever you want” stance, will spring into action.

I’ve often contemplated this maneuver. For me to reach my gun, I need valuable seconds, and I’ m not going to try to outdraw a guy who’s already drawn. I need to disarm HIM first. I have no special training, so I’ve devised my own tactics. This guy is physically stronger than me, and if I can’t “snatch the gun” out of his hand quickly, I need a better method. I have surprise and speed on my side.

When the gun is not pointed at me, I grab for his weapon hand with both my hands, kicking him in the balls to knock the wind out of him. I spit in his face and he closes his eyes and flinches. I very quickly redirect the muzzle into the ground, a dumpster or anywhere safe, and with my finger and his both on the trigger, I shoot the gun until it’s empty. It’s now only useful to pistol-whip me with, but with the sudden surprise of my actions and his nuts in absolute pain, I should be able to defend myself freely now, whether it’s beating him into a bloody pulp or drawing my knife, baton, or gun.

So ... what do you think? Nuts?
Old November 8, 2001, 06:18 PM   #4
exilefromhell

Wow. Both are good responses. Thanks! Sparked some ideas for me.
Old November 10, 2001, 12:45 PM   #5
coz

Fake fear.
Fake submission.

Somehow get him confident that you will obey..

IWB in back waistband, just like reaching for a wallet, but you have to be fast.

Or the ole drop the money or wallet and say, "I'll get it" and as you come up push the BG's gun up with nonshooting hand and shove yours under his rib cage and empty it into his chest cavity.
Or alternatively under his chin and one shot his brains into the air/ceiling.

I've told my wife, that in this scenario, she can use what God has blessed her with to distract the BG (if it's a he). I tell her to flash those 38 C's and I guarantee he'll take a gander...and then it'll all be over for him.....

Now another idea is to submit and give him your money and as he's walking away, say "Hey, *******, you forgot something"
and as he turns......show him that he forgot the Hydra-shoks.....

I dunno. Once you're in this situation, being cool is tough...just shoot the bastard if you can........
Old November 12, 2001, 01:17 PM   #6
Hemicuda

Runt...

if you are the blonde subject of Oleg's posters, I'd HATE to confront you in an alleyway ... even if I AM 6'-3, 280 lbs, AND armed... (I only wish MY GF would shoot with me...)

as for what I'd do? if all he wants is my money, he can have the little I carry... the cellphone is the bosses, and the watch I wear daily is a Timex...

the "prescious metal" (indian silver, and a "Montana Silversmiths" gold and silver one)

he/she can have them all, who cares... it's only stuff...

but IF he/she appears unstable, or threatens a family member/friend... then I find a way to draw, from small of back, (going for wallet?) and let them have a few rounds from the Ol' Smitty...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old November 12, 2001, 04:14 PM   #7
Betty

Nope, I'm the brunette subject, more of which you'll be seeing in Oleg's posters, once I permanently have him in my clutches.
http://www.olegvolk.net/newsite/betty/betty.html
Old November 12, 2001, 08:01 PM   #8
CWL

If his gun is already out, you've already lost. Best would be to give him/her your valuables & let him run away. Your life is the only thing that cannot be replaced.

If you are carrying concealed, try to surrender your wallet/valuables in a manner that will not draw attention that you have a gun(s) on you, which may aggravate the situation.

If you have nothing to lose because you know that he plans to shoot you anyway and you want to take him with you, try to be within arm's length, either knock the weapon aside or grab the barrel while you draw your weapon and double-tap. "Juke" and fake movement in one direction while you actually move in the other, use your eyes.

Even if you can get your shots off STAY MOVING. You will be harder to hit if you move. Put distance between yourselves -hopefully the perp doesn't practice.

Best defense against a holdup is knowing your environment and being alert.
Old November 13, 2001, 11:52 AM   #9
stinger

coz,

do you really want your wife showing her goods to a man with a gun? that seems like a disaster waiting to happen. why not just tell her to take all of her clothes off and really distract him.

the best thing to do is just give up your money. a few dollars is not worth your life. if your instincts tell you that this guy is going to hurt/kill you, then react like a bolt of lightining.

stinger
Old November 13, 2001, 01:56 PM   #10
coz

stinger,

If he's gonna kill us, I think it's a good distraction.....

If he gets distracted and I can draw...well, he won't be describing them to anyone soon now will he?

Old November 13, 2001, 04:46 PM   #11
LASur5r+P

Happened

Been there done that. Three gunmen, though, in a parking lot.

Wife and mother in law were with me and I was still hurting from being in a car accident (wife too)...It happened two days before this incident.

"Wrote this story about a year ago on TFL."

There were three other incidents which involved guns and knives...also wrote about them.

In either case, used either unarmed martial arts, dumb luck, or verbal judo to get me out of the situations.