The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 4, 2010, 06:13 PM   #26
Crosshair

Yea, same here.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:40 PM   #27
UpandAtIt

All 5 have now been spoken for and purchase agreements sent.

The price is about $600 less than a national average for orig and pristine examples like this. We were not going to just give them away. The 50% donation to WWP brings these well below what they should go for.
Old July 17, 2010, 04:36 PM   #28
h2oroof

Survival Rifle M6 question

I recently inherited an Ithaca M6 survival rifle. The serial number is 111904. It is a 410-22 hornet. I do not know if it is registered. Can anyone tell me how I go about finding out if it is? Thanks.
Old July 17, 2010, 06:14 PM   #29
Crosshair

Quote:
I recently inherited an Ithaca M6 survival rifle. The serial number is 111904. It is a 410-22 hornet. I do not know if it is registered. Can anyone tell me how I go about finding out if it is? Thanks.
Are you sure it is an authentic 14" M6? The latter 18" versions are not regulated by the NFA.

If it is a 14" model and you have to go to an online forum to ask about its legality, then it probably is not legal. If you don't have an ATF Form 4 with your name or legal trust on it then you are in illegal possession of an NFA item.

There are several possibilities. The gun was legally transferred, but upon death of the legal owner the proper ATF paperwork was not filled out and the gun was just given to you. In this case there is a record on the NFA registry, but it is incorrect.

The other possibility is that the gun was "liberated" from the government supply system. In this case there would be no record on the NFA registry.

There are several possibilities.
*Find the NFA paperwork that should have accompanied the gun and file for a tax free transfer to your name since the original owner has passed away.
*Arrange with and give the gun to an SOT, have them register it, then transfer it back to you via an ATF Form 4 and $5 tax stamp. (Not an option today with MGs, but it is with other NFA items.)
*Shut up, hide it, and make sure nobody finds out you have it.

What route you take is up to you.
Old July 18, 2010, 03:04 AM   #30
David Hineline

First off call the ATF NFA branch and have them run the serial number to see if it is registered or not and if so to your relative, then you get the gun transfered to yourself on tax free form 5 as a lawfull heir of the deceased.

If it is not registered already it is illegal contriband, you can not give it to a firearms manuf. because they can not register illegal contriband, you could turn it over to local police dept. for their use or turn over to ATF for their use.

ATF has in the past allowed such items to be removed from the scope of the NFA by welding on a barrel attatchment to bring the barrel length into compliance.

There is also a chance that since not registered that it is stolen government property that they want back.
Old July 18, 2010, 07:33 AM   #31
h2oroof

Thanks for the information. It is definitely a 14" M6. The story is that we recently found the gun when cleaning out my deceased aunt's duplex that she rented out many years ago. Is it illegal to sell it unregistered?
Old July 18, 2010, 07:37 AM   #32
h2oroof

What's an SOT?
Old July 18, 2010, 09:02 AM   #33
n7qvu

SOT

Special Occupational Tax.

This relates to a FFL(01 or 07) that has paid a yearly TAX to ATF/NFA to deal with NFA weapons(SBS, SBR, Silencers, MG etc.

I think the name comes from the fact that folks dealing with alcohol and/or tabacco pay a similar tax.
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old July 18, 2010, 09:09 AM   #34
n7qvu

The NFA rules state that a NFA/SOT Class 2 has to engrave their name and city/state on the items(there are a few exceptions) to manufacture/register them.
I would think this extra engraving would decrease the value of these firearms?
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old July 18, 2010, 10:47 AM   #35
Crosshair

Quote:
I would think this extra engraving would decrease the value of these firearms?
Well right now it's value is $0 because of the lack of proper paperwork.
Old July 18, 2010, 09:18 PM   #36
David Hineline

If the gun does not belong to your family history then just turn it over to the ATF as found contriband, if it is stolen or belongs to some family they will contact and get it back to them or destroy it.

in the situation described even if it is registered it is not registered to you.

Having an NFA regulated firearm is subject to up to 10yrs in federal prison or up to $250,000 fine or both for each violation. Now that you have blab blab blabbed in public about having the gun, it is going to be hard to claim you did not know about the laws when you try to sell the gun to an undercover officer, or sell it to a biker who gets popped with it and brings officer friendly back to you.

Call the police and have them come pick it up.

You would do way less time if it was a kilo of drugs that you just found on the street.
Old July 18, 2010, 11:15 PM   #37
medalguy

I think I would remove every part off that gun that I could, and abandon the receiver ONLY to ATF. The parts alone would be worth several hundred bucks. No point in destroying good parts needlessly. Remove everything including the barrel as quickly as you can.
Old July 21, 2010, 06:08 PM   #38
h2oroof

Blab, blab, blad has turned the gun in.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:07 PM   #39
mattamiller

Warning fraud!!!

WARNING!!! "UpandAtIt" is a second username of a known FRAUD! He tried to defraud me out of $225. He's been banned from every major online firearm auction site. Please if anyone has any other information on him or his alias's please come forward. We need to bring this guy down!

He frequents gun shows in the Cleveland area, and will let you know his "Disabled Vet" status every chance he gets.

Here's a picture of the man in question.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...55#post4382055

Username Aliases:

UpandAtIt
ImJustTired
41022collector
Emails:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Brothers Username:

GringoGrande (Steve)

[email protected]

He also sells hiking sticks in the Cleveland area.

Here's his pitch he uses in selling his hiking sticks. Typical fraud card using his "Disabled Vet" to warm you up.

51 year old US Navy Disabled Vet due to blindness in Cleveland Ohio (westside). I hand make each and every Hiking Stick, hand cut and hand dye the leather lace wrist straps and hand grips, hand mix the finish. I have made Hiking Sticks since 1988 for friends, family and to sell at open air market shows like Yankee Pedler and "The Mess" in Berea Ohio. I prefer to sell only to USA Residents due to ease of shipping as I cannot fill out international forms due to not being able to see them. All sticks are shipped via US Postal Priority Mail with delivery confirmations.

Last edited by mattamiller; January 4, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:10 PM   #40
mattamiller

And to the moderators who chose to shelter this man, by deleting my post. This warning needs to be in this thread. This is the thread I found via google search for "Ithaca M6" which has all the information someone uninformed to stumble in to his trap. All of his contact information is posted and he will no doubt gladly rip off any unsuspecting person inquiring on his Ithaca M6 find.

Please do not delete my post again.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:11 PM   #41
PTK

Your link to a photo is broken. If this is the same guy I heard of years ago in Ohio...
Old January 4, 2011, 11:17 PM   #42
mattamiller

fixed it
Old January 5, 2011, 09:55 PM   #43
saemetric

Which one is he??
Old January 7, 2011, 01:08 AM   #44
mattamiller

I believe he's the one who spent too much of somebody else's money on too much McDonalds (the left).