The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2018, 11:03 AM   #1
Winny

9mm 1911

I've been toying with the idea of a "carry" 1911 for quite some time in 9mm.

I like the idea of a Commander-sized 9mm 1911 (I know, I know I should shoot 45, but I prefer the 9mm cartridge for my own reasons)

The springfield Range Officer line looks nice to me, but I've heard good things about the newer RIA pieces.

Weight isn't much of an issue, I'm 6'3" 200lbs and have a habit of carrying full-sized double stacks (I even occasionally conceal a Beretta 92FS).

Any recommendations or suggestions for me?

Thanks
Old September 6, 2018, 11:21 AM   #2
RickB

A 9mm Commander is a really big gun for relatively few small cartridges.
If you like 9, get a gun proportional to the size of the cartridge.
The SIG P938 and Kimber Micro 9 are half the size of a Commander, weigh ten ounces less, and still hold 7+1 rounds.

The Springfield RO line is really good.
I had a full-sized .45, and liked it a lot.
Old September 6, 2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Ben Dover

Years ago, I had a full size 1911 in 9MM and it was a wonderful gun.

I don't particularly like 1911s, but if I ever get another one, it will be a 9MM.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 6, 2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Model12Win

Check out the Springer Range O's, good 9 milli. Not as much knock down power but does have a softer kickback and holds more bullets
Old September 6, 2018, 11:35 AM   #5
stephen426

I have the Springfield Armory Loaded in stainless and it is a great shooter. It is a full sized 1911 and holds 9 rounds. The heavier slide allows for a lighter spring, making it an even softer shooter. If you feel adequately armed with 9+1 of 9mm, carry what you like. I can't carry anything that big so I'm limited to sub compacts for concealed carry. I know someone will say to dress around my carry, but I am fine with my sub-compact and 2 spare mags.
Old September 6, 2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Ben Dover

There is no such thing as knockdown power in a pistol round. That's an old wives tale.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 6, 2018, 11:46 AM   #7
ferrarif1fan

Yep!. If a pistol round could knock the person down it hit, it would also knock down the person firing it.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Old September 6, 2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Brownstone322

I have a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm, and I love it. If I ever cut back on my collection (fat chance), it's one of the "core" firearms I'd never give up.

Meanwhile -- and you may know this history -- the army's original 1949 requirement for a lightweight sidearm specified 9mm, and this is how the 1911 Commander came into being; 9mm is closest to the Commander's roots. In any event, 1911s chambered in calibers other than .45 ACP are in fact "real," they're great fun to shoot, and I would argue they're actually better, at least in smaller sizes and weights.

All that said, if I were to carry a 1911, I think I'd want an aluminum-framed, Glock 19-sized piece, and my first choice would be the Springfield Range Officer Compact.
Old September 6, 2018, 12:42 PM   #9
Winny

Quote:
If you like 9, get a gun proportional to the size of the cartridge.
I’ve got a few of those... this isn’t an end-all, EDC, single-use pistol discussion.

One could argue my 92FS is an oversized, overweight 9mm, and they would be right. Doesn’t mean I don’t still carry it on occasion.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about the polymer wonder-9s and own a few.

I’m just looking for input on a 9mm 1911 that could be carried need-be.

It sounds like the Springfield RO may be a strong choice.
Old September 6, 2018, 01:58 PM   #10
SIGSHR

A 38 Super would probably be a better choice. A steel frame Commander does a good job of dampening recoil.
Old September 6, 2018, 02:19 PM   #11
CajunBass

I've owned a couple of 9mm 1911's over the years. A Rock Island, and a Metro Arms. I liked both guns, but traded them off for something else. The Metro was especially nice, with features found on much more expensive guns. They were also as slick as an eel.

These days's I've only got one, a Springfield EMP. Downsized for the 9mm cartridge, I like it quite a bit. Good shooter.

John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 6, 2018, 02:27 PM   #12
Rangerrich99

I have and carry the Ruger 1911 9mm LWT Commander and love it. Don’t let anyone tell you that the 1911 pattern is too big for the 9 mm cartridge; what it is, is a LOT of fun. Well, it’s fun if you like really fast and accurate shooting, with almost zero felt recoil, and absolutely minimal muzzle flip. If you don’t like that sort of thing, then I guess it wouldn’t be fun.

Though I do concede that one chambered in 38 super is ballistically superior. I’m hoping to get one of those next year, when the gun buying ban expires.

Also, you can get 10 round magazines for these things, so if you carry a spare mag plus one in the chamber, that’s 21 rounds. So ‘ix-nay’ on the idea of not having enough rounds to defend yourself.

The SA 1911 9mm RO is probably a nicer gun than my Ruger, even the Ruger Night watchman. I just like a Ruger’s, which is Why I went that way.

If conceal-ability is an issue I’d also consider the SA EMP, which isn’t a true 1911 pattern (so I hear), but operates just like one while being slightly smaller. You can look up Rob leatham’s YouTube video of his review on the EMP If you’re not familiar.

Honestly, my only caveat here would be that if you’re really going to EDC this gun, i’d advise that you pick one from one of the more reputable manufacturers, such as Colt, SA, SIG, S&W, etc. Or Wilson Combat or Dan Wesson if you can afford such.

Just my two cents.
Old September 6, 2018, 03:41 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Of the various 1911s I have owned and shot over the years, I think my absolute favorite is my Colt 9mm Combat Commander. It balances perfectly in my hand and shoots like a dream.
Old September 6, 2018, 04:08 PM   #14
lantern2814

I am very partial to my Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. It sits fantastic in the hand and shoots amazing.

Old September 6, 2018, 05:00 PM   #15
David R

I have a 9 mm Springfield RO Champion. Aluminum frame, 4" barrel. Shoots incredibly well. Chip McCormic mags hold 10.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 6, 2018, 07:11 PM   #16
hodaka

My Springfield RO is a target/competition gun but it is very nice. Heavy, but very smooth with no recoil. I would not hesitate to carry it although the trigger is probably too light for that. I never thought I would go for a 9 mm 1911 but I love this one.
Old September 6, 2018, 07:37 PM   #17
pete2

I have a DW Valkyrie Commander in 9 mm. It's pretty sweet. To say it's large for a 9 mm, compare it to a Glock 19. NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE and, the 1911 has a safety.................
Old September 6, 2018, 08:17 PM   #18
Joe_Pike

Don't forget Colt. I have a 5" in 9mm and it is a joy to shoot. I'd like to have a Colt LW Commander in 9mm, but can't justify it at the moment.
Old September 6, 2018, 08:38 PM   #19
claydoctor

I second the idea of a 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian.
Old September 7, 2018, 07:48 AM   #20
Winny

Thanks for all the input!
Old September 7, 2018, 03:52 PM   #21
SDF880

Ruger 9MM commander here one word - excellent!
Old September 8, 2018, 08:28 AM   #22
tallball

If you want to try it out pretty much for free...

You can still easily buy Star BM's for $150-$200. It's a smaller 1911 in 9mm. Fondle it, shoot it, maybe even carry it a bit.

After that you will know if you want to spend the money to buy a "real" one or not.

Either way you could get all or most of your money back out of it after you tried it out for a while.

I got one for myself. It goes bang every time. I decided against a 1911 carry piece, but I kept the Star around just because it's a decent service pistol and is fun to shoot.
Old September 8, 2018, 04:22 PM   #23
Bottom Gun

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Kimber. My 9MM pro and full size Kimbers shoot just as well as my 9MM Dan Wesson Valor Commander. They are all extremely accurate and shooting them is pleasure.
I still like my 1911s in .45, but the 9MM is more fun to shoot in a 1911.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.

Last edited by Bottom Gun; September 8, 2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old September 11, 2018, 10:41 AM   #24
scottycoyote

i was exactly where you are.....i already have multiple carry guns but wanted a little longer barreled 9mm and was looking at the 1911. I found a nice deal on a kimber pro carry 2 I ended up buying. I had heard some quality control issues for the kimbers as of late but mine was made in 2010 so i felt like they didnt apply. At 28 oz empty i feel like this gun is on the very outer limit of what i would want to carry on a daily basis. I have a pf9, sig 938, glock 27 and now this gun so i feel like i have the whole spectrum covered lol.

I like how accurate i am with the kimber though i might move to a 3" gun like a defender or emp.
Old September 12, 2018, 08:53 AM   #25
smee78

I have a full size Springfield 1911 9mm and love it, such a smooth shooter and is a favorite of mine. If I was looking to add one to the collection today I also would consider a Ruger. Not sure if your looking at a light weight frame but it would help with the carry part of your equation.

My dad has a Colt Commander size 1911 in 9mm and it was the first centerfire pistol I ever fired and it holds a special place for me.

Tags
1911 , 9mm , ccw , commander