The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 30, 2018, 07:00 PM   #1
JGKC9AYC

Holster fit

I just purchased a Don Hume belt holster for my G19.
Are leather holsters supposed to be ready to go right out of the wrapper?
I have to push my weapon in so hard it just about racks the slide. Is this normal?
Old August 30, 2018, 07:47 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

Leather holsters out of the box tend to be a pretty tight fit, this is so the holster will mold itself to the gun over time, sometimes called "training" the holster. this is just getting the leather to stretch just the right amount so your gun slides in easily but still has some retention so the gun doesn't just fall out if you stumble or something.

There are a myriad of ways to train your leather holster; I wrap some wax paper around my gun and then insert into the holster and leave it there for a couple days. Some people use a plastic bag (like a ziploc), some draw and insert the gun several dozen times while wrapped, and so on. I think you can do a search like "leather holster fit," or something similar and find several threads on the subject.

Or just wait a while. Everyone has there favorite way of doing this.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:40 PM   #3
ocharry

I would just put it on and wear it a few days....I bet it limbers right up...your body heat and just moving around should fix it right up...and draw and re-holster a few times will help too

Ocharry