The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: When looking at guns during a shortage
I want a gun in a cartridge that I already have, or is well established 27 87.10%
I am open guns with new cartridges that are just getting started 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 26, 2022, 10:29 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

New cartridges during shortages?

So in thinking about Federal's new 30 super carry I had a question. Why would they release a new cartridge in the middle of a shortage? During shortages it has been my experience that people tend to consolidate, or purchase guns in cartridges they already have or are familiar with. Something that feels reasonably stable. Not new cartridges that are uncertain.

During a shortage, would you consider adding a new to market cartridge to your lineup? Or are you looking for something you already have, or that is already well established?
Old January 26, 2022, 11:02 PM   #2
rc

Maybe the ammo has been in a Wearhouse and it's time to sell high and guns will sell if they have ammo.
Old January 26, 2022, 11:27 PM   #3
eflyguy

All our match, carry, and HD handguns are 9mm, with the exception of a lovely 1911. I got rid of everything else. It's just simpler that way.

I don't have anything against other calibers, but I have no use for them.

Rifle is a little different. We compete @ 100 with .22LR and have a couple, but need a .308 (or anything else bigger than 6mm - rules) for high power silhouette, and have an AR because reasons.

I have no desire to buy more firearms just because there are other calibers. Everything we own serves a purpose, except for the 1911 and AR - and even the 1911 is loaded with JHP and easily accessible at home. Same Ruger SR1911 that Prof recently bought and reviewed.
Old January 27, 2022, 01:24 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I voted for a gun in a cartridge I already have. I will amend that slightly, as I would be open to a new cartridge, IF it was based on some common case that I already have, or could easily get.

The .30 Super Carry doesn't make that for me.
Old January 27, 2022, 12:49 PM   #5
74A95

The 30 SC looks like a nice cartridge, and has genuine merit. I'm always open to new ideas.
Old January 27, 2022, 02:48 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Personally, I don't see the merit in the .30SC but that's just me.

I've got a bunch of guns chambered for cartridges that "had merit" but were commercially discontinued (or nearly so) years before there were ammo shortages or the buying panic(s).

Right now, it just doesn't make sense to me to go with something new (and unproven) when there isn't enough of the regular stuff to go round...

Maybe they've been sitting on warehouses full of the new stuff, and are releasing it now because, literally, people are buying everything that shoots, but what happens AFTER those stocks are sold?

Are you going to be able to get ammo next month? Next year? For a niche round that only has one company making ammo?

Always keep in mind that a gun and cartridge made only by one company is liable to be discontinued at any time the bean counters figure sales are "too slow", no matter if its good at what it does, or not.
Old January 27, 2022, 03:00 PM   #7
Sevens

It’s at least a little interesting that this cartridge is the same bullet diameter as the .327 Federal Magnum that was also released during a turdstorm ammo and component market. Many of us who were early adopters of the .327 Federal felt like we got dropped off on an island with a new cartridge and seemingly zero support for it.

With the .30 Super Carry, it just seems to me that the niche, purpose and target audience for this round are the (still!) tons of folks approaching a gun counter for the first ever time. I’m speaking of the folks who only know “a 9 millimeter” from what they have seen on their TV.

From a counter jockey’s perspective, this seems like a very marketable new option. From the point of view of hardcore gun forum posters, I’m not sure why anyone cares all that much.

As for why they marketed it now? I think it’s because this project has had wheels turning for months and I’ll also guess that they have a strong contract with Federal and the ammo has been piling up in production over the last year or more.
Old January 27, 2022, 03:09 PM   #8
Sevens

The other thing that is easy to forget when we are years+ deep in to an ammo/component market turdburger is that everyone feels like we cannot find any ammo at the gun store or online retailer, but that’s because we are looking for 9mm, .45 and .38, and so is everyone else in the country.

We aren’t asking about case lots of .30SC.

The only people who will be fighting each other for the last box of .30SC on the shelf are the small slice of market that just bought a handgun within the last 3 weeks chambered in .30SC.
Old January 27, 2022, 03:31 PM   #9
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Maybe they've been sitting on warehouses full of the new stuff, and are releasing it now because, literally, people are buying everything that shoots, but what happens AFTER those stocks are sold?
Spoken like a true conspiracy theorist.

Ya gotta love when people just make crap up out of thin air.
Old January 27, 2022, 03:38 PM   #10
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
The only people who will be fighting each other for the last box of .30SC on the shelf are the small slice of market that just bought a handgun within the last 3 weeks chambered in .30SC.
And that would be who . . . nobody?

It's clear that they have hit the shelves yet.
Old January 27, 2022, 06:09 PM   #11
Scorch

Well, take a look at cartridge introduction history over the past 20 years, keeping in mind that history repeats itself.
17WSM- no ammo for rifles introduced
22 ETron- no ammo for rifles introduced
9mm Federal- expensive ammo for a 9mm revolver
327 Federal- hard to find, expensive ammo
9X21- no ammo except from custom loaders
9X23- same
9mm Winchester Magnum- same
45 Winchester Magnum- faded as fast as the LAR Grizzly
45 GAP- hahahahaha!!!!
ANY SAUM cartridge- typical Remington
ANY WSSM cartridge- lots of hype, then they pulled the rifles from the market.
224 Valkyrie- yeah, whatever.
22 TCM- uh huh
7mm STW- typical Remington
8mm Rem Mag- ditto
30 TC- it's as good as a 308 but costs 2X as much!! Yay!

And I could go on for a page and a half. I have a lot harder time remembering cartridge lauches that went well!
17 HMR- that one was done right. Rifles showed up, and there was ammo
WSM cartridges- Rifles and ammo really delivered
6.5 Creedmore- lots of hype, but there was substance.
can't think of many others.

Biggest thing, if you have a cartridge that offers nothing more than an existing cartridge, and ammo is more expensive or hard to get, it probably won't fly. 22 Creedmore vs 22-250? 22 Nosler vs .223/5/56? 30 TC vs 308 Win?
Old January 27, 2022, 06:49 PM   #12
ballardw

I'm not sure what the "22 TCM- uh huh" is supposed to mean. Guns and ammo have been available.

Last year I bought a couple boxes of on-shelf centerfire pistol ammo at my local Cabelas- 22 TCM, and I didn't buy all the 22 TCM or the lone box of .32 something. Point is 22 TCM was on the shelf when no .380, 9mm, .38, ,357, .40, 10mm, .44, .45 (ACP or Colt) were available.

I've consistently found sites with 22 TCM available when I've looked over the past year and probably more surprising the prices often weren't even two times the pre-pandemic price much less the 3 or 4 times for many other cartridges.
Old January 27, 2022, 07:12 PM   #13
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
9X21- no ammo except from custom loaders
9X23- same
Wrong.
Wrong.

Don't know about the others, but it's hard to take you serious when you are wrong on obvious stuff.
Old January 27, 2022, 07:56 PM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
I'm not sure what the "22 TCM- uh huh" is supposed to mean. Guns and ammo have been available.
I didn't say there was no ammo. The 22TCM was launched about 10 years ago and nobody knows about it. That's a launch flop.
Quote:
Wrong.
Wrong.

Don't know about the others, but it's hard to take you serious when you are wrong on obvious stuff.
Don't know about you, but I have not seen 9X21 ammo from a major manufacturer in like years. And I work in the gun trade. And Carolina Munitions and Botach are custom loaders.
Old January 27, 2022, 08:27 PM   #15
74A95

Quote:
Don't know about you, but I have not seen 9X21 ammo from a major manufacturer in like years. And I work in the gun trade. And Carolina Munitions and Botach are custom loaders.
I guess you haven't been looking for it. I've purchased 9X21 by Fiocchi, PPU and Winchester in the last couple years, the Winchester within the last year.

Thanks for the heads-up on CM and Botach. Botach has Winchester 9X21 in stock. Carolina Munitions might too if I'm reading their website correctly - you can add it to the shopping cart.
Old January 27, 2022, 08:59 PM   #16
Wildernesshunter

I just purchased a 6.5 PRC and I can't find any ammo for it.

If anyone has a line on it.... please send me a PM.

My son's Bass Pro showed it in stock for $48 a box of 20 and I told him to go buy two boxes and when he arrived... they were sold out.

Old January 28, 2022, 05:29 AM   #17
ballardw

Quote:
I didn't say there was no ammo. The 22TCM was launched about 10 years ago and nobody knows about it. That's a launch flop.
Interesting interpretation.

I shoot with about 10 folks. A few years ago one of them came to town and we were sharing our new "toys". We both had 22 TCM 1911 double stacks.

2 of 11 would be pretty fair market penetration for many products...
Old January 28, 2022, 09:46 AM   #18
Rob228

This reminds me of 2006 when I used some deployment money to buy a Kimber 8400 in .325 WSM. Awesome rifle, sure as heck can't find ammo for it.
Old January 28, 2022, 10:54 AM   #19
rickyrick

Not looking at guns really, but if I were I’d probably buy something that uses the cartridges that I currently have in my stash.
I have a lot of ammunition, buckets and buckets full.
Never intended to hoard so much, but I used to shoot daily, so I constantly bought ammunition.
I slowed down on shooting without even realizing it but I kept on buying ammunition at the same rate.
I stopped purchasing ammunition a couple of years ago, I still have a lot of ammunition.
I took most of it out of packaging and filled up buckets with a lot of .308/7.62nato .223/5.56 and 9mm.
To a lesser degree, 6.8spc and 300aac.
I stopped using things like enfields in .303, mosin nagants and the like, I’ve passed those on to family just to streamline my modest collection.
I have a couple of shotguns, but only a few boxes of shells, I’d like a better shotgun I suppose, and maybe a couple of bolt guns.

I gave up on 22lr long ago lol
Never really considered myself a gun nut or a prepper, but I may have inadvertently become one because I like to have the supplies I need for my chosen activities.
Loosing 2/3rds of my family’s income due to COVID-19 restrictions... I’ve added to my food and water storage and have paid off all debts z
Old January 28, 2022, 10:55 AM   #20
stinkeypete

Wait until you have the dies and brass in your hands before buying something weird. Then, who cares?
Old January 28, 2022, 10:58 AM   #21
natman

Quote:
9mm Federal- expensive ammo for a 9mm revolver

9mm Winchester Magnum- same

ANY WSSM cartridge- lots of hype, then they pulled the rifles from the market.
The 9mm Federal was doomed when they discovered that it would fit and fire in old 38 S&W revolvers, despite being loaded to dangerously higher pressures. That and the fact that virtually the same revolver was already available in 357.

I've always believed that the 9mm Magnum would have been a hit if it had been chambered in a factory M1 Carbine. The stuff that dreams are made of.

The WSSM cartridges had a lot of potential. I was sorely tempted by the thought of a short, light deer rifle in 25 WSSM. The cartridges were introduced in 2004, but were doomed by Winchester USRAC going out of business in January 2006.
Old January 28, 2022, 11:20 AM   #22
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
Interesting interpretation.

I shoot with about 10 folks. A few years ago one of them came to town and we were sharing our new "toys". We both had 22 TCM 1911 double stacks.

2 of 11 would be pretty fair market penetration for many products...
I'd missed this earlier. Even I have a top end conversion for the 22 TCM.
Old January 28, 2022, 02:46 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
45 Winchester Magnum- faded as fast as the LAR Grizzly
I have 3 .45 Win Mags, a Wildey, an LAR Grizzly and a T/C barrel.

Admittedly I haven't looked for any ammo for them in years, I have a stash of several hundred rounds and about an equal amount of brass. Last time I looked, you could get brass from Starline (but that was pre-panicdemic)

FWIW, the LAR Grizzly didn't "fade" it was canceled by the parent company in order to focus on other things (their .50 rifle, for one).
Old January 28, 2022, 05:44 PM   #24
Scorch

Quote:
2 of 11 would be pretty fair market penetration for many products
Biased sample. In the past 10 years I have worked on roughly 30,000 firearms (about half handguns) and have only seen 2 22TCM 1911s. That makes market penetration about 2/30,000, poor market penetration IMO. But neither are unbiased samples.
Old January 28, 2022, 06:01 PM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
Biased sample. In the past 10 years I have worked on roughly 30,000 firearms (about half handguns) and have only seen 2 22TCM 1911s. That makes market penetration about 2/30,000, poor market penetration IMO. But neither are unbiased samples.
The devil's advocate rebuttal might be that the .22 TCM pistols from Rock Island are so good from the factory that they have no need to be worked on.
Jeepaholic