The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2022, 11:03 AM   #26
BillM

95% of my reloading is pistol, with 80% of that 9mm. 10,000 plus
per year in that caliber. I give it all a little spritz of Hornady One Shot.
40 and 45 it doesn't make a huge difference, they are straight wall
cases. On the tapered 9mm case the difference is VERY noticeable.
For practice/local match ammo I don't do anything to remove any
residual lube. For major match ammo I give it 10 minutes in some
fine walnut (Lizard Litter) because SHINY!
Old January 24, 2022, 11:48 AM   #27
Unique

Pistols with carbide dies, never have but I might give it a try.
I know it’ll make it easier but to be honest I’ve never had a problem in the last 30 plus years.

Last edited by Unique; January 24, 2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old January 24, 2022, 07:15 PM   #28
gwpercle

I found a little case lube made sizing , even with a carbide sizer, so much easier !
I like it when things slip into and out of a hole nice and easy ... I don't have a problem with a little lube ...easy in - easy out , what's not to like .
I use Lee Case Lube , thinned with alcohol and applied with a spray bottle ...
Spray on a light film , let dry and carry on ...not messy .
Gary
Old January 24, 2022, 07:25 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm
Do you lube your pistol brass before sizing?
Yes -- not with the liquid stuff used to lube bottleneck rifle cases, but with Hornady's One-Shot aerosol case lube. It dries almost instantly, but it leaves a wax (?? I guess) coating that makes resizing effort significantly less. I also use carbide dies, but I lube anyway.
Jeepaholic
Old January 24, 2022, 07:52 PM   #30
THEWELSHM

I reload everything Magnum tumble in walnut finish in walnut with new shine. Don’t need to..

Thewelshm
Old January 24, 2022, 08:59 PM   #31
rclark

All straight walled cases use the carbide resizing die, so no lubing required. All other cases I do. Nor do I clean the brass every session either (nothing hits the ground). Not necessary.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 24, 2022, 09:22 PM   #32
Beagle333

No. But I always use carbide.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 26, 2022, 12:21 PM   #33
ragsflh

i lube.easier on brass
Old January 26, 2022, 03:16 PM   #34
buck460XVR

I lube about every other case when sizing my .460 brass even tho I use carbide dies. Makes so I don't have to stand on the press handle.
Old January 26, 2022, 07:39 PM   #35
Nick_C_S

Quote:
. . . my .460 brass . . .
I bet those are fun to load.
Old January 28, 2022, 07:39 AM   #36
jetinteriorguy

Never lubed a single straight wall pistol case in over 30 years of using carbide dies. I have loaded many thousands of rounds in 9mm, .38sp, .357mag, and .41mag and have never had any issues with decreased case life. I have some.38sp brass that I bought from an old target shooter about ten years ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if these things are 40 years or more old and been loaded so many times it’s hard to count, so far I haven’t lost a one. Some of my .41 brass is the very first stuff I bought back in the 80’s and the only ones I’ve lost were crappy Remington brass after a couple dozen reloads.
Old January 28, 2022, 04:54 PM   #37
Unclenick
Staff

It's too bad. From what I read, Remington once made great brass, while Peters made a lot of thinner wall stuff that work-hardened fast. Looks like when the two combined, Remington picked up the Peters designs rather than sticking with their own.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 28, 2022, 07:26 PM   #38
Kevin Rohrer

Nope. No need to.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 30, 2022, 09:18 AM   #39
gnappi

No "lube". Even my 9x25 and .357 sig I do not libe. On both I size first in a 10mm carbide die.
Old February 14, 2022, 09:33 AM   #40
the45er

I found this thread very interesting because of how many folks lube brass even when they use carbide dies. I've loaded 380, 357/38, 9 mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 45 LC brass for years with carbide dies and never had any issues with sticking or otherwise. I don't really understand why it's ever necessary but to each his own!
Old February 14, 2022, 10:53 AM   #41
Geezerbiker

Remembering how sore I was after the last time I resized 500 9mm cases, I intend to try some of that Midway case lube spray the next time I size 9mm cases. Unlike .45ACP and revolver rounds, 9mm has a slight taper to the cases making them a bit more work to size. Of course getting old doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Tony
Old February 14, 2022, 01:47 PM   #42
Schlitz 45

I just started having to lube pistol cases when I started reloading 50AE. Only dies available were Lee Pacesetter set of 3. Started using Hornady One Shot but it wasn't cutting it so started using the Lee case lube that came with the dies & their resizing smoothly now. Other than these it's never been necessary.
Old February 14, 2022, 04:19 PM   #43
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by the45er
I found this thread very interesting because of how many folks lube brass even when they use carbide dies. I've loaded 380, 357/38, 9 mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 45 LC brass for years with carbide dies and never had any issues with sticking or otherwise. I don't really understand why it's ever necessary but to each his own!
I've been loading for about 15 years, so far all handgun and mostly .45 ACP. As I've mentioned, I use carbide dies (Lee), and I lube with Hornady One-Shot aerosol.

There was a day a few years ago when I just wanted to make up a few dummy, action-proving rounds. I was only going to make five, so I didn't think it was worth gatting out the spray can. I don't remember the brand of brass, but one of the cases got STUCK in the sizing die. It was so stuck that it deformed the case head and ripped it out of the shell holder, leaving the case stuck in the die. I had to take everything apart and use a long rod to drive the case out of the die.

Since then, I always lube.
Jeepaholic
Old February 14, 2022, 04:31 PM   #44
Shadow9mm

I have only stuck rifle cartridges. However I have noticed since switching to wet tumbling, even with carbide, sizing force has increased. 9mm was not a huge deal. 44mag and 357 mag were what was challenging, even with carbide.
Old February 14, 2022, 06:44 PM   #45
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I have only stuck rifle cartridges. However I have noticed since switching to wet tumbling, even with carbide, sizing force has increased. 9mm was not a huge deal. 44mag and 357 mag were what was challenging, even with carbide.
I agree with you 100% on this ..wet clean are almost too squeeky clean .
Wet tumbling gets them so clean you just about need to put a little slick-em on the clean cases or even short 45 acp / 9 mm Luger get hard to size with a carbide die .
I went back to cleaning cases in dry treated walnut shell media because it left the cases not so squeeky clean ...rifle cases wet cleaned , were the ones that wanted to stick the worse and if not properly lubed gave me the most resistence on the press handle , both going in and coming out ... on one batch of 303 British cases I had to resort to STP Oil Treatment as a case lube because they wanted to stick so badly . How I didn't stick one was only because I paid strict attention to resistence going in ... if it started feeling hard , back out and relube it .

All you new guys ...if a case feels hard when sizing... stop ... don't force it into the sizing die ... it will just get harder to remove from the die and pull the rim off ...
... Hard In = Harder Out and Harder out might tear off a rim ...
... you want to remember that resizing rule .
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; February 14, 2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old February 14, 2022, 06:53 PM   #46
zeke

All my current pistol dies have carbide or some such insert. While lube is not required, am keeping some imperial wax (oe whatever it's called now) close buy to give the odd case a little dab will do ya. So much easier, and not enough to worry about cleaning off the cases.
Old February 15, 2022, 06:19 AM   #47
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
I agree with you 100% on this ..wet clean are almost too squeeky clean .
Wet tumbling gets them so clean you just about need to put a little slick-em on the clean cases or even short 45 acp / 9 mm Luger get hard to size with a carbide die .
I went back to cleaning cases in dry treated walnut shell media because it left the cases not so squeeky clean ...rifle cases wet cleaned , were the ones that wanted to stick the worse and if not properly lubed gave me the most resistence on the press handle , both going in and coming out ... on one batch of 303 British cases I had to resort to STP Oil Treatment as a case lube because they wanted to stick so badly . How I didn't stick one was only because I paid strict attention to resistence going in ... if it started feeling hard , back out and relube it .

All you new guys ...if a case feels hard when sizing... stop ... don't force it into the sizing die ... it will just get harder to remove from the die and pull the rim off ...
... Hard In = Harder Out and Harder out might tear off a rim ...
... you want to remember that resizing rule .
Gary
Wet cleaning works fine, just leave out the pins and they won’t have any abnormal resistance in a carbide sizing die. It’s the way I’ve been doing it for two years now. I’m referencing pistol cases, not rifle of course.
Old February 15, 2022, 03:22 PM   #48
Steve in PA

Never lubed straight wall pistol brass (.380, 9mm, .38/.357, .44 and .45acp) in 30 years of reloading while using carbide dies. And I would load thousands upon thousands of those rounds every year….before the Covid madness.
Old February 15, 2022, 04:51 PM   #49
Shadow9mm

jetinteriorguy

I will give that a try!

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 15, 2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old February 17, 2022, 02:01 AM   #50
thump_rrr

I typically don't lube straight walled pistol cases since my dies are carbide.
Today I was sizing 100 new Starline 454 Casull cases.
After 10 or so cases the resistance started to increase.
I put a little Unique on my fingertips and lubed every 7th or 8th case.
It made things go much easier.

Even though you can barely make out that the cases were lubed I will tumble in corn cob when everything is loaded for a final polish.