The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 20, 2021, 01:25 AM   #26
TunnelRat

I've owned both Blackhawk SERPAs and the Safariland ALS. I find the ALS superior. YMMV.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 20, 2021, 01:55 PM   #27
Rob228

At one of the indoor ranges I go to (its only a ten minute drive) there aren't really any ROs and the staff has cameras set up on the range but only on the firing points. Two of the biggest things I've caught that get me from zero to 100 really quick are:

Muzzles going in every direction but downrange. The firing points have walls between them so unless you step back from the firing line there is a good chance you have no clue that the guy next to you is inserting a magazine and chambering a round with the muzzle pointed hard left or hard right from the firing point.

Uncasing firearms (particularly handguns) at the tables ten feet behind the firing line instead of on the firing line.

That being said, the second one wouldn't bother me if it were people I knew and trusted and shoot around daily but when it is strangers uncasing behind me I tend to get nervous and perhaps my language is not so polite when I ask them to stop doing what they are doing.

There was a lot of hate for the SERPA for a while. I've had a few and have managed to avoid shooting myself when drawing. I don't carry them daily, only when I am in a place where I know I want the retention (crawling through thick brush etc).
Old November 21, 2021, 12:00 PM   #28
ghbucky

I have a few options for nearby indoor ranges. I go to the most expensive one because they have ROs on duty at all times and those barriers between range stalls are bullet proof.

One of the ROs told me that he saw a .45 hit one of those barriers and it did stop it.

The entire range is armored, so the viewing/showroom is also protected.