The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 23, 2020, 12:13 PM   #26
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
It seems to me all carry guns are a compromise if you have or want to carry concealed. A rifle or shotgun is a better defensive tool than any handgun but they don't conceal very well. it just gets better from there, a 6" .357 Mag. is great but it also doesn't conceal very well, A baggy jacket or shirt will conceal even the 6" .357, 1911 or Glock of your choice. I wear t-shirts and cargo pants or jeans most of the time. Pocket carry works best for me. The 642 revolver draws better than the LC9 so i carry the 642. LC9 in the pickup console.
Other than just hanging out at the house, I typically don't wear a t-shirt rather a untucked loose fit polo or button up.
That said, a Glock 19/23 is easily concealed under a t-shirt as pictured.
Dressed in t-shirt and shorts, concealed is Glock 19 AIWB and Kahr PM in pocket.

Old September 23, 2020, 01:58 PM   #27
Bill DeShivs

I find it amusing that others want to tell me what I should be carrying, and why.
Old September 23, 2020, 02:52 PM   #28
Lavan

You should be carrying your passport, voter registration, drivers license, and a blanket form apology you can sign.

Just to cover the bases.

Old September 23, 2020, 07:06 PM   #29
shurshot

There are others in this nation who don't want you to carry (or even own) anything other than a bright green squirt gun.
Old September 23, 2020, 07:18 PM   #30
hounddog409

I wear cargo pants and tshirts all the time. I have no issue whatsoever concealing a Smith M&P 9c. Hell I've even carried my Berretta M9A1 wearing the same.

I thinks most peoples issue is trying to make cheap ass holsters work. An Uncle Mikes $4 holster is not going to work.

Spend a little and carry what you want, when you want, wearing what you want.

I use a white hat holster IWB holster. Same style as the super tuck and others.

Looks huge. When on, I don't even know its there. Sit down. Stand up. In and out of vehicle. Loading up lumber at home depot. It does not move. Never have to fuss with it.

Stop trying to make cheap holsters work. And good luck trying to fish a gun out of a cargo pocket quickly.
Old September 24, 2020, 01:06 PM   #31
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
I find it amusing that others want to tell me what I should be carrying, and why.
My philosophy is, of the concealable handguns owned strive to carry one that would be preferred in hand if you had to defend yourself.

If one would prefer a Kel-Tec P32 in hand to defend against lethal threat(s) that is their prerogative, certainly not mine.

There is nowhere I'd prefer a pocket 380/38 snub in hand rather than a Glock 19 (23) to defend my life and I carry accordingly.

starting a thread =/= telling others what they should be carrying

Encouraging, not telling.
Old September 26, 2020, 08:04 AM   #32
GarandTd

Pick your poison. For me, changing the way I dress to accommodate a larger gun is going to get me just as much bad attention as printing.
Old September 26, 2020, 10:54 AM   #33
Geezerbiker

I've worn a belt pouch for the last 30 years. Packing or not, I wear it every time I go out. I don't think anyone can tell that I have a S&W Shield tucked away in there.

Some years back I bought a Colt Detective Special and I ended up selling it when funds were tight. While it was well made and a beautiful gun, it was bulky chunk to carry. I don't miss carrying it at all...

Tony
Old September 26, 2020, 01:02 PM   #34
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
Pick your poison. For me, changing the way I dress to accommodate a larger gun is going to get me just as much bad attention as printing.
My typical attire affords easy concealment of a Glock 19.
Pictured is a Glock 19 (23) easily concealed in "summer attire"
Old September 26, 2020, 01:36 PM   #35
Bill DeShivs

I don't care what anyone has stuffed in their pants, a pistol in your pocket is always there, and is no trouble at all.
Old September 26, 2020, 01:56 PM   #36
AK103K

Quote:
I don't care what anyone has stuffed in their pants, a pistol in your pocket is always there, and is no trouble at all.
Same goes for a pistol stuffed in your pants, and its easier/quicker to get into action, from any position, and gives you a lot more flexability.
Old September 26, 2020, 05:21 PM   #37
GarandTd

CDW4ME, what holster are you using? have you always carried the Glock 19 or did you work up to it? Did you always carry a back-up? It does look like that Glock conceals well on you. Good job. I'm relatively slim, wear clothes that fit, and don't typically wear cover garments until the weather makes me. I haven't mastered a comfortable concealed carry with my compacts yet. I haven't gotten that far on my journey.
Old September 26, 2020, 05:38 PM   #38
imp

Don't forget that ability isn't everything.

I CAN conceal just about any full sized pistol I want. On occasion, I do. However, my normal everyday carry is a S&W bodyguard .380 holstered in my right front pocket. Its very comfortable.

My chances of needing it are miniscule. My chances of needing more gun than that are so small it's almost incomprehensible. I've come to place a higher value on comfort and convenience the last decade or so.
Old September 26, 2020, 05:45 PM   #39
1911_Hardball

Quote:
A pistol in your pocket while standing is always there and easily accessible.
A pistol in your pocket while seated in a chair, restaurant booth, etc., is inconvenient.
A pistol in your pocket while seated in a vehicle (particularly while wearing a seat belt) is virtually useless.

You have to dress for the occasion. Most people wouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt in -20 weather; or a parka and snow boots on Miami Beach in July.

As I've alluded to before, just as you dress for the occasion, you need to arm for the occasion.

Last edited by 1911_Hardball; September 26, 2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old September 27, 2020, 09:43 AM   #40
pete2

Pistol in a pocket is not easily drawn in a car but the one in the console or door pocket is.
Old September 27, 2020, 09:51 AM   #41
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
Pistol in a pocket is not easily drawn in a car but the one in the console or door pocket is.
Ill do that very thing on occasion, but with a second gun, and not the one Im carrying.

To much to go wrong, and the gun isnt on you.
Old September 27, 2020, 12:47 PM   #42
CDW4ME

Quote:
This clip-on Kydex holster is no trouble at all AIWB and is always there, unless I decide to carry strong side IWB (then that is always there).

I've carried nothing smaller than a Glock 19 (23) in over 3 years, including moving houses, walking dogs, trip to the store, washing vehicle, .... no trouble.
Old September 27, 2020, 12:55 PM   #43
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
CDW4ME, what holster are you using? have you always carried the Glock 19 or did you work up to it? Did you always carry a back-up? It does look like that Glock conceals well on you. Good job. I'm relatively slim, wear clothes that fit, and don't typically wear cover garments until the weather makes me. I haven't mastered a comfortable concealed carry with my compacts yet. I haven't gotten that far on my journey.
Whether its the clip-on (K1) or the one strong side (K10) its a Fist kydex.
http://www.fist-holsters.com/storage-prod/kydex.html

For years (couple decades) the best I could do on work days was a pocket 380.
On non- work days, Glock 26/27 moved up to 19/23 eventually.

I took early retirement about 3 years ago, the smallest I've carried since is a Glock 19/23.
Old September 27, 2020, 01:04 PM   #44
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
My chances of needing it are miniscule. My chances of needing more gun than that are so small it's almost incomprehensible. I've come to place a higher value on comfort and convenience the last decade or so.
I've had concealed carry for over 25 years and never "needed" it.
I'd say (hope) that my chances of "needing" it are slim.
That said, the point of carrying is "just in case" I unfortunately "need" it, somebody(s) is trying to kill me.
Defending my life, I'd strongly prefer a Glock 19 (23) or full size 1911 in my hand than a pocket 380/38 snub.
I don't feel I'm sacrificing comfort or convenience to carry a "decent" pistol.
Old September 27, 2020, 01:12 PM   #45
Bill DeShivs

I never said that I only have/carry one gun. Pete has it figured out!
Carry what you want. Learn to shoot it well.
Old September 27, 2020, 02:16 PM   #46
GarandTd

I currently carry a "pocket" 380, but I'm not a fan of pocket carry. I have too much other stuff that has homes in my pockets. I don't carry a fanny pack, man purse, satchel, and, as much as I like cargos, don't like loading up all the pockets. Also, for me and my attire, pocket carry has accessibility challenges. I wear my pocket pistol on my waste. It is comfortable and conceals very well. I am less concerned about printing than I am about my shirt hanging up on the pistol grip and exposing it to the masses. I don't have that problem with my small 380.
(Edit)
In my personal situation, I am the sole gun advocate in my household. While my spouse and children know that I am a gun advocate and that I carry, they are not on the same page as me. It is just as important to me that they are in the dark about my carry habits as the general public.
(Edit+)
"Don't ask, don't tell" comes to mind, but they(family) get closer to me than the general public. Not everything(in reality, nothing) is simple and black and white. Everyone has their own personal reasons for what and why they carry. It is a very personal decision with no right or wrong answer.

Last edited by GarandTd; September 27, 2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old September 27, 2020, 08:17 PM   #47
Carl the Floor Walker

Pocket gun's all the way. Love them. And shoot them well. My hobby for over a decade. Sometimes carry one in a small sleet OWB holster. Really feel totally uncomfortable with anything larger and especially IWB. Which drives me nuts. If you can carry a compact or larger than that is great. Just will not work for me and never has. I most likely would not carry if I had to. I do like the Micro 9'mm in the winter, in a OWB, but still prefer a pocket gun.
Heck, even a Pocket gun can feel cumbersome on some days.
Old September 28, 2020, 06:49 AM   #48
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
I've had concealed carry for over 25 years and never "needed" it.
I'd say (hope) that my chances of "needing" it are slim.
That said, the point of carrying is "just in case" I unfortunately "need" it, somebody(s) is trying to kill me.
Defending my life, I'd strongly prefer a Glock 19 (23) or full size 1911 in my hand than a pocket 380/38 snub.
I don't feel I'm sacrificing comfort or convenience to carry a "decent" pistol.
Agree totally.

Hopefully, actually needing it is slim. Reality is though, when you do need it, you REALLY need it, and you only have what youve brought. You dont get to pick and choose how things go down either, so you also get what you get and have to deal with it.

Look at it this way, if you have to go through the judicial system, do you hire the best attorney you possibly can? Or do you take the state appointed attorney youre entitled and hope for the best?

Really no difference here. Do you want the gun youre most likely to shoot and do best with, across the board, have practiced with regularly and realistically, and have the best chance at making things work?

Or do you pick a second or third line gun, that you shoot here and there, and take your chances?

Its not at all hard to carry pretty much anything you want (if you want to), so why would you choose to limit yourself?

I get the impression a lot of people dont really think this through all that much. Seems they figure they have a gun, its "convenient", and they are good to go. What else do you need?

And out of curiosity, when you say you "shoot it well", what are you referring to? Do you practice with it for a full gamut of things, shooting quickly and accurately, moving and shooting, sights/no sights, close range, longer ranges, multiple targets, starting from how you carry it, etc?

Or do you shoot at your leisure at a bullseye target or cans, whatever in the yard at close range, where you know you can hit and base your skills on that?

What you carry, has to give you the best chance to get through "anything" you might get, and not just that one gunfight you always win in your mind. You have to be up to the task of letting it do that for you.
Old September 28, 2020, 12:04 PM   #49
Deja vu

With the right pants you can pocket carry a pretty big gun. I regularly carry a light weight N frame 357 (8shot) revolver. Of course I am a pretty big guy

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 28, 2020, 02:03 PM   #50
Bill DeShivs

No handgun is a death ray.

For instant PHYSICAL incapacitation, you need a central nervous system hit. There are many other ways of incapacitation- fear of getting shot, pain from getting shot, fear of getting shot again, shock, etc.

But the only way you are going to instantly stop the mythical zombie, is to have a CNS hit. Someone intent on doing you physical harm can do so for minutes after a fatal, non CNS shot.