The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 24, 2020, 11:52 AM   #1
steve4102

Constitutional Carry vs GFSZA

Is carrying a firearm within 1000 feet of school property a violation of the GFSZA, in states that have passed Constitutional Carry?

I have read that there will be some armed protest scheduled for the 25 in Louisville KY, just a few blocks from a school. Is that a violation of federal law?
Old July 24, 2020, 01:58 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

The lack of an actual license is the problem. The GFSZA provides an exception, but you have to be in possession of an actual license issued by your specific state.

Here's the word from the ATF [pdf].
Old July 24, 2020, 04:10 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102
Is carrying a firearm within 1000 feet of school property a violation of the GFSZA, in states that have passed Constitutional Carry?
Whether or not a state has passed "constitutional carry" or not doesn't make any difference. The ATF letter Tom Servo gave us a link to sums it up pretty well. The only exception under the law is a carry license or permit issued by the state in which the school zone is located. If someone is carrying without a permit under a "constitutional carry" law ... then they don't have a license issued by the state in which the school zone is located.

This is why I collect non-resident permits. I can carry in more than 40 states based on the several licenses/permits I have, but for the states I'm most likely to visit I obtain non-resident permits (if available) precisely for protection under the GFSZA. The fact that the law specifically says the license must be issued by the state in which the school zone is located means that reciprocal recognition of your home state permit is not protection under this law.
Jeepaholic
Old July 25, 2020, 02:02 PM   #4
ghbucky

Well, they are off to a great start. The group that called for the armed protest had an ND and shot 3 people today.
Old July 25, 2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky
Well, they are off to a great start. The group that called for the armed protest had an ND and shot 3 people today.
Which side are they [supposed to be] on?

Link?
Jeepaholic
Old July 25, 2020, 02:45 PM   #6
ghbucky

Quote:
This is what I don't get. AFAIK, there is no 'side' supporting the police shooting innocent people. And Louisville does not appear to be doing anything about it. They convened an investigative committee this month. 4 months after Breonna Taylor died.

That does need protested.

But, yeah, the ND
Quote:
The group staged in Baxter Park Saturday morning, then began marching toward Jefferson Square at about 2 p.m.

The march comes shortly after three members of the NFAC were shot after a militia member's gun accidentally discharged in Baxter Park, according to Louisville Metro Police Chief Robert Schroeder.

Those three people were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to Schroeder.
Old July 26, 2020, 06:20 PM   #7
ghbucky

OK, these guys are pretty scary.

I went through some pictures from that protest yesterday, and in the article I see a guy wearing ear muffs with his finger on the trigger.

They also apparently went right by a high school, meaning that Grandmaster Jay, the leader, who is from California, violated federal law.

They also are handling their weapons in the presence of the police.

These people are going to be shooting each other again.
Old July 27, 2020, 02:50 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Their own. A week ago, they were marching around Stone Mountain, Georgia confronting people in traffic over the monument there. This week it's Breonna Taylor. Next week, it'll be something else.

Quote:
These people are going to be shooting each other again.
Here's a video of their "training." Sadly, I agree.