The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 2, 2020, 10:28 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

gotta clean em

So I have a beater mossberg 500 with a field barrel I got in trade over 6 years ago. I did pull the action apart and give it a cleaning when I got it but never touched the magazine tube. I haven't shot it much since I got it, 2-3 informal rounds of skeet, and a sight in for a turkey hunt since then. I pulled it out today to go skeet shooting and the shells did not want to come out of the tube. They were not stuck, it was only pushing them out about 1/2 way, real sluggish. I pulled it all the way apart, barrel, bolt, magazine tube to works. I got all sorts of thick junk out of the magazine tube. Looked like gummed up WD40 or grease. After a little oil and reassembly she it running nice and smooth. All in all, you gotta keep em clean and oiled if you want em to work. I clean my rifles and handguns religiously after I shoot them, I'm not sure why I did not apply this philosophy to my shotgun.
Old July 3, 2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The shotgun magazine tube is possibly the most ignored and neglected part of a shotgun.
People just don't seem to think that the mag tube might need servicing, if they even think about it at all.
I've seen them so fouled with gunk, rust, and old lube you could no longer get rounds into the mag.

I've recently been experimenting with using a dry lube in shotgun tubes.
I found WD-40 Dry Lube With Teflon to be about the best.
I simply haven't been using it long enough to reach a conclusion as to how effective and reliable it is, but it's something to think about.

Prior to this experiment I used standard lubricants like CLP Breakfree or Super Lube grease or oil.
The Super Lube oil is a thicker lube that stays put and won't run down the tube like more liquid lubes do.
Old July 3, 2020, 06:49 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfariswheel View Post
The shotgun magazine tube is possibly the most ignored and neglected part of a shotgun.
People just don't seem to think that the mag tube might need servicing, if they even think about it at all.
I've seen them so fouled with gunk, rust, and old lube you could no longer get rounds into the mag.

I've recently been experimenting with using a dry lube in shotgun tubes.
I found WD-40 Dry Lube With Teflon to be about the best.
I simply haven't been using it long enough to reach a conclusion as to how effective and reliable it is, but it's something to think about.

Prior to this experiment I used standard lubricants like CLP Breakfree or Super Lube grease or oil.
The Super Lube oil is a thicker lube that stays put and won't run down the tube like more liquid lubes do.
i used the lucas extreme series oil. It is really slick stuff, even in a very light coat, and stays in place very well, not runny at all.