The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 9, 2020, 09:01 PM   #1
Polinese

NY friendly sources for lowers

I don't need one now at the moment, not that they're easy to find. I used to always use PSA stripped lowers, I think I have 5 or 6 of them total. But as of august 2020 they changed their policy and won't ship stripped lowers to NY anymore.

Anyone know of an alternative source?
Old September 14, 2020, 08:15 AM   #2
jackstrawIII

I'm not really an AR guy, but I do know that you can walk into most gun stores and legally buy one (following NICS check and all that). I see them in shops quite often. Call around to the shops in your area and ask who's got one.
Old September 14, 2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Houndog

Aeroprecision and Spike's Tactical both make excellent lowers. I recently bought a blemished one directly from Aeroprecision. But I'm in CO now, so no issue with having them ship to my FFL. Not sure what their policy is with respect to NY.

Might try looking at some of the usual suspects - JoeBobs, Aim, Primary Arms, Brownells, etc. to see what their policies are and if they have stripped lowers in stock and will ship to NY.

And you are correct - I used to live in NY and was able to get a stripped lower shipped to my FFL.
Old September 14, 2020, 06:44 PM   #4
Polinese

Yeah I used to get stripped ones sent here. I think aero has a moratorium on NY as many companies opted to do with our BS laws. I liked buying the psa, as I would buy the blemished, sometimes on sale and they were dirt cheap. When stores have stripped lowers round here they're usually asking 100 to 150 for one. Hard to swallow when I'm used to paying 30-50 for one haha.
Old September 17, 2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Houndog

I think I paid $70 for the blemished Aeroprecision. I know in the past I've definitely picked up blemished lowers for closer to $45-50.

And yeah, NY sucks. Lived there for about a year prior to moving to CO. Put my AR's and a half dozen handguns in storage and then shipped directly to CO, rather than dealing with NY BS. At least, as of last year, NY FFL's were transferring stripped lowers. Supply should open up again after the election and this Covid stuff calms down.

Moral of the story - when you find a lower at a bargain price buy multiples. Same with lower parts kits.
Old October 11, 2020, 09:08 AM   #6
Logs

Have you looked at CDNN? They have Remington complete lowers that are not assembled for $199.