The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 9, 2020, 10:36 AM   #26
jackstrawIII

The Tikka felt very "plasticy" to me, wasn't my favorite.

Stainless Winchester 70 is the best of the standard makes, in my opinion. But a Remington Model 7 in 7mm08 would be perfect for what you're looking for. Short/handy gun.
Old September 10, 2020, 06:18 AM   #27
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I went through two of those and for some reason I just couldn't keep the bore free of nasty copper accumulations and reluctantly sent them both back. Henry is one of the tops in customer service, they will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

Now I have one of their 45-70's and am VERY happy with it.
My .41 seems to be good about copper in the bore, my .357 on the other hand will copper foul about the last 2-2.5” if I push the copper coated type bullets too hard. If I keep MV at 1200fps or just under as recommended by manufacturers then no issues. Regular jacketed are no problem even when pushed real hard.
Old September 10, 2020, 08:52 AM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
My .41 seems to be good about copper in the bore, my .357 on the other hand will copper foul about the last 2-2.5” if I push the copper coated type bullets too hard. If I keep MV at 1200fps or just under as recommended by manufacturers then no issues. Regular jacketed are no problem even when pushed real hard.
What my .41 mags suffered from--and even my 45-70 has to some extent--is that there is clearly some chatter in the rifling grooves in the last few inches leading to the muzzle. I've started noticing this more and more in production rifles; I'm wondering if a particular method of rifling the bore is more prone to that.
Old September 10, 2020, 10:30 AM   #29
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
If all you are going to do is shoot deer any rifle of the caliber you choose will do that. They are all capable of hunting accuracy. The T-3 is a really nice lightweight hunting rifle. Lightweight. Kicks hard but very good for walking around. If you hunt from a stand and have long range shots you may wish for something heavier. Buy the one you like, and can afford. You also need a good scope on it.
This would be the way I'd say to go. Different people like different things! What one guy thinks is ugly another guy love's, go figure! One guy love's a custom rifle and couldn't do without it and another something else. had a brother in law years was madly in love with his Mossberg mod 800! Preferred it to my Sako L61. Find one you like and go for it. I'm not sure there are any bad rifles out there, mostly just different.

As for cartridge, you can kill a deer with an old mod 94 in Montana just as easy as with a 50 BMG! The deciding factor in how well any cartridge works is the person using it.