The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 20, 2019, 06:31 AM   #51
HiBC

Supposedly folks made 22 LR bullets more effective on small game by cutting a flat meplat on the bullet.

In simplistic terms,it might be that a bullet harder to drive through a target transfers more energy.

For temporary cavitation,I think the round nose bullet will provide for more lateral acceleration of the fluids than a skinny VLD

A rock makes a bigger spash than a javelin thrown into a pond.

There is another factor...the 257 dia 117 gr rd nose as case in point.

Some riflemakers ,among them Remington,were known to emphasize lighter bullets/higher velocities for marketing.Often the rifles came cursed with slow twist barrels.

Stabilization with twist is about length,not weight. A flat base round nose will stabilize in a slower twist than a boat tail spitzer,bullet weight being equal
Old February 2, 2020, 11:45 PM   #52
Blue Duck

Wow! This thread is 20 years old, and I actually posted on it in year 2000. Apparently, I posted under another name back then, not my current name. I think I had some computer changes or something and for some reason had to open under a new handle.

Back then I posted that I loaded 200gr roundnoses in my 350 Rem mag with very good results. I still own the 350 mag, but I have gotten lazy and have not loaded for it in quite a while, being mostly content to use factory loads in my .308 Browning BLR among other guns. I shoot the 45/70 with 300gr hollowpoints quite a bit and I love the close range smack down of those loads for hogs and such.

The .308 BLR loves the old 180gr factory Winchester Silvertips that are not made anymore. I am still using them, because I bought a case of them many years ago and they shoot and work so well in that gun that I never saw much need to experiment.

The thing I like about bullets like many of the roundnoses, and those Slivertips is that they are not fancy trick bullets that might or might not open up and work like I might expect. I just like fairly heavy bullet with plenty of lead up front to open up reliably and enough bullet weight to stay together and blow through the animal for a good blood trail if needed, but frankly, I don't often need the blood trail and the animals usually drop in sight.
Anyway, wow! It's feels funny posting on the same thread I posted on 20yr ago.
Old February 3, 2020, 01:23 AM   #53
bamaranger

wish I could find some of these

When I was a kid, one fella that hunted with our bunch (ol' Ted!) shot a short .243 bolt rifle and loaded it with 105 grain Speer round nose slugs. He always claimed it made the .243 a better killer.

When I finally got around to hunting with a full stocked Mannlicher style .2143 carbine (I'd been a basher for years) I tried to find 105 RN in keeping with the mannlicher tradition of long heavy roundnoses and ol' Teds comments.

Like different slugs that I've come to favor, they've been discontinued.
Old February 3, 2020, 12:32 PM   #54
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Duck View Post
Wow! This thread is 20 years old, and I actually posted on it in year 2000. Apparently, I posted under another name back then, not my current name. I think I had some computer changes or something and for some reason had to open under a new handle.

Back then I posted that I loaded 200gr roundnoses in my 350 Rem mag with very good results. I still own the 350 mag, but I have gotten lazy and have not loaded for it in quite a while, being mostly content to use factory loads in my .308 Browning BLR among other guns. I shoot the 45/70 with 300gr hollowpoints quite a bit and I love the close range smack down of those loads for hogs and such.

The .308 BLR loves the old 180gr factory Winchester Silvertips that are not made anymore. I am still using them, because I bought a case of them many years ago and they shoot and work so well in that gun that I never saw much need to experiment.

The thing I like about bullets like many of the roundnoses, and those Slivertips is that they are not fancy trick bullets that might or might not open up and work like I might expect. I just like fairly heavy bullet with plenty of lead up front to open up reliably and enough bullet weight to stay together and blow through the animal for a good blood trail if needed, but frankly, I don't often need the blood trail and the animals usually drop in sight.
Anyway, wow! It's feels funny posting on the same thread I posted on 20yr ago.
Well this is just BS! You have been on this site for 20 yrs and haven't made any more post's than that? :-)
Old February 3, 2020, 01:17 PM   #55
jfruser

.375H&H with 270gr RNSP does not need a CNS shot on wild hogs or deer for a DRT, no-trail deal in my experience. A shot through the boiler room leaves some lung and heart outside the body and has been enough to persuade them to DRT. Done right, no meat loss. Done wrong, say buh-bye to that shoulder. Either way, no tracking.
Old February 3, 2020, 01:44 PM   #56
T. O'Heir

OP is 20 years old.
Silvertips were semi-jacketed with an Al cap. Friggin' fabulous bullet too. Used a 220 out of an M1 Rifle one time(with no damage to the rifle of any kind.) that literally blew the off side of a ground hog into mush. A very decidedly sad day when Winchester made the mistake of discontinuing 'em. Have a few rounds of 150's I bought at a gun show eons ago, loaded in .308 for my semi'd Winchester M-14.
Old February 3, 2020, 09:14 PM   #57
Hawg

Quote:
Ain't it odd how we could dream up stuff like that when we were kids.
I wont even mention a lot of the stuff I dreamed up and did as a kid. I used a lot of round nose back in the day. I prefer ballistic tips now. They don't perform as well at close range but they do kill. I shot a deer at 40 yards with one in a 30-06 and the entrance hole was bigger than the exit hole. I hit her high in the lungs and her lungs were mush. A piece of the lead core was all that made it through. She walked about 25 yards and piled up.

Last edited by Hawg; February 3, 2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old February 4, 2020, 11:33 AM   #58
ms6852

I do, have been using Remington Cor-lokt bullets on deer and elk for over half a century. They are inexpensive, proven, and gets the job done every time. The work good in my Winchester 94 or my 30-06.
Old February 6, 2020, 08:38 PM   #59
2damnold4this

It might be a 20 year old thread but there is wisdom here. Some of these posters are no longer with us and being able to read their posts is worth the bump.
Old February 12, 2020, 07:01 PM   #60
Normana

It seems to me that I have less blood shot meat with round nose bullets.
R
Old April 12, 2020, 12:36 PM   #61
fireitall

Haha. Well they can come here and learn now.