The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 17, 2002, 07:29 AM   #1
ETorbin

Standard vs Automatic

What do you think is better (from a self defense point of view), a standard transmission or an automatic. I've got a couple of thoughts on the issue.

1. All the cars that I've ever owned have been standards, and still once in a great while ( 1 or 2 times a year) I will stall the transmission. In a scenario where it is necessary to get away quickly stalling could be fatal. Although I can usually get moving after a stall in under a second.

2. In a carjacking where a criminal was sucessful in getting me out of my car, they might not be able to drive it.

3. A criminal might pass up trying to steal my car because they can't drive it.

4. In a situation where there are a lot of things going on, or an injury to one arm, it is difficult (not impossible) to drive a standard.

5. In a situation where your breaks fail, it is possible to slow the car down using the transmission (I've done this).

So what do you think? Standard or Automatic
Old January 17, 2002, 09:30 AM   #2
David Scott

Good points, but I'll stick with an automatic. The alarm system on my truck is more of a theft deterrent.

To me, the major factor is, what if I have to evade attackers? With an automatic, I have one less complex motor task to deal with in a crisis. Also, if necessary I can drive with my left hand while the Ruger is in my right.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
Old January 17, 2002, 10:19 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've stayed with my '85 model Toyota 4WD PU because of the solid front axle. (I'm in serious 4WD country far more than most folks.) As the years have gone by and the car-jacking stuff started, I've figured that having an old truck makes me much less of a target.

I've thought about this from time to time. Since I don't really like the overpriced stuff they foist off as new cars, these days, I guess I'll just stay with my "low profile".

, Art
Old January 17, 2002, 11:03 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

Average carjacker probably prefer auto over stick.

Most carjackers want sumpin nice for quick bucks.
Joyjacker nuther story.....liable to take anything at any time.

I'm like Art tho.......my 91 E 360 had nearly total desert pinstriping and rock remodeling by 92. Not 4X4 so have winch mounts on both ends....for WHEN it gets stuck.

Adopted a VW diesel wabbitt.......50+ miles to the gallon and so ugly that no sober person would even think of carjacking it.

Finally parted with all my resaleable stuff. Don't need muscles or ponys anymore.

Sam
Old January 17, 2002, 08:29 PM   #5
Hemicuda

Though my daily drivers (Ram 4X4 and Saturn pos) are BOTH automatics, my toys happen to be all manuals...

the 'Cuda, the racecar, and the Jeep are all 4 speeds... and I BY FAR prefer them!

most true drivers (read: people who love to drive, and are good at it) seem to prefer an manual...

in a carjacking situation, I figure it probably doesn't matter too much...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old January 18, 2002, 03:56 PM   #6
Apeach

You can accelerate faster in a manual (if you know how to drive it well), but in all honesty I think it really doesn't matter. They won't know it's a manual until they break into your car, and after they've done that, they're pretty much stuck for good, whether they can drive your car or not.
Old January 20, 2002, 02:13 PM   #7
Mannlicher

since the chances of a single individual being car jacked is pretty remote, I would not worry about what type of tranny is in the vehicle. It is a lot more important to be thinking of your surroundings constantly. I pretty much feel like Art, in that no one would want my old 1967 F-100 anyway.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 22, 2002, 03:41 PM   #8
Kharn

Why not just have a kill switch installed?

Kharn
Old January 22, 2002, 05:54 PM   #9
Bogie

I've got a bad left knee, and really hate clutches. Besides, I remember the horrid looks I got from the motor pool sgt the one time I checked out a jeep (having never driven a stick before).

So, can you drive the vehicle with one leg injured?

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old January 22, 2002, 08:28 PM   #10
Hemicuda

I can and have driven my Jeep with it's 4 speed with only 1 foot (left one injured...)

I disable the "clutch/starter lockout anyway, soo the easiest is to start it in gear, clutch engaged... then POWERSHIFT!

works quite well, and I have yet to tear out a tranny or a clutch, so it can't be that bad, if y'all know what you're doing...

gun and car collector.
Old January 23, 2002, 12:44 AM   #11
Caver

After my knee ligament replacement I drove my Golf for 3 months with my right foot wedged on the accelerator and my left foot working the clutch and brake.
Old January 23, 2002, 08:22 AM   #12
Hemicuda

Caver...you confuse me...

that is how you DRIVE a manual... right foot on gas, left one operating the clutch... (and either one on the brakes, depending on driving style...)

left foot braking is a valid technique taught in many performance driving schools here in the US...

gun and car collector.
Old January 25, 2002, 10:01 PM   #13
Quartus

Left foot braking is also what you do when your clutch and brake pedals are VERY close together, and you have a big fat cast on the left foot!

And it ain't fun! Trust me on this!

In a carjacking, I'd rather have the automatic, myself. Empty the mag, then reload.

Oh, not THAT kind of automatic? Well, I still prefer the auto, so I can handle a weapon with one hand and drive with the other. As stated previously, by the time they start the carjacking, it's too late to make your car unattractive.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.