The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 6, 2001, 11:49 PM   #1
PaladinX13

Non-1on1 Mixed Martial Art Events?

I realize MMA is considered a sport but it's still also considered by some to be the most realistic analog to a "streetfight"... one of the most common criticism of MMA styles is that "That wouldn't work against a group of attackers". Another thing that isn't trained in alot is fighting in teams or groups. Short of some illegal bloodsport, are there any MMA events where one fights many or teams of people fight in a fairly realistic manner (I'm not talking about no contact/impact demos by old "masters" causing their students to fall over)?

The only ones I can think of are armed events using foam weapons... still, I'd love to see the poetry of a two man team fighting strategically or see what styles work best against multiple attackers.

A side question: If there are no such events, what would it take to create a safe but fairly "realistic" MMA event (without resorting to NHB)?
Old September 7, 2001, 01:29 AM   #2
Mort

Let's see, Sambo (Combat Sambo, different from Sport Sambo), has the concept of "rescues". This is where you have one guy on top of you and your buddy, who is standing, comes to help. So, it's a two-on-one situation, or one-on-two reversed. When I did this, I took turns in every position--attacker, defender and rescuer. If the attacker doesn't fight really hard, the drill is meaningless. Much pain and adrenaline. So, that's an example of multiple attackers, but in a training rather than a sport context.

Next, add a training blade to the drill. Now things are interesting!

Of course, since this situation isn't strictly "real", it disallows many of the techniques that would tend to really equalize the fight.