The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1
WaltherRuger

Loading .45 ACP with lead bullets in Beretta PX4

Thus far I have only shot 230 gr out of my Beretta PX4. Besides factory rounds, I have loaded both plated and lead RN. I had zero problems with the plated, but had some problems with the lead bullets.

Several loads wouldn't fully chamber (slide stopped just short of fully forward). I went back and tried placing them in the barrel (removed from the gun) and sure enough, they wouldn't plink all the way with ease. Shortening OAL didn't help. Finally, I ran them through the Lee Factory Crimp Die and now they chamber fine.

My bullets measure between .452 and .453. The loaded rounds measure between .472 and .473 after the FCD. Some measured .474 before the die.

I'm curious if anyone has ever slugged their PX4 barrel and if they run a little smaller than other 45s. I've heard European gun makers use smaller diameters?? I also would appreciate any advice.
Old September 8, 2013, 05:47 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Suggest trying a crimp of .469--.470" first.

OAL of your load?
Old September 8, 2013, 08:12 AM   #3
WaltherRuger

WESHOOT2,
AOL: 1.235 seemed to work best. I tried as low as 1.220 and as high as 1.255.

I thought you weren't supposed to crimp heavy with .45 ACP. My reasoning is probably wrong, but I figured if I went from .474 to .471, my crimp would be too heavy. Is it possible to go down that far and still be applying a taper crimp. As you can tell I'm fairly new at this. Have done a lot of reading, but still lack experience.
Old September 8, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Sergeant

After I started using the Lee factory crimp in my semi loads, I no longer had an issue.

I started reloading again do to the higher cost of ammo these days. My past experience was all revolver that were roll crimped. The semi pistols get a tapper crimp.

To light of a taper crimp and you can have the feed ramp shove the bullet back, that would cause higher presser and also not get good ignition. On the other had, if its taper crimped to tight, it could cause the presser to be to high again.

I just went by the Lee instructions on the factory crimp die and it seemed to work great. They are adjustable for fine tuning.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:10 AM   #5
mikld

Pull one of your bullets after you use the FCD and measure it. Prolly swaged down, right? I would say the .453" bullet is too large and size 'em down to .451"-.452", then check and see if they will chamber (without FCD).
Old September 8, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
WaltherRuger

mikld,

Is this what you're talking about. I have never resized bullets before.

http://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.452.html

Sergeant,

I am intrigued by the idea of sizing the bullets down, but like you said, all is well as long as I send them through the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Thanks all. Any more advice is certainly appreciated.

Last edited by WaltherRuger; September 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

WaltRug

I have been doing BPCR for quite some time and have used the kit you show in the photo for four different calibers.

It works well as a sizer but as a lubricator it is very messy.

I finally got rid of all of the kits I had (because of the nature of the marketplace I was able to sell the used at a higher price than I paid for them new.) and went out and bought a used Lyman 450 lube sizer. It does the same thing as the Lee lube sizers but just (IMHO) in a cleaner way.

Problem is, you need a separate press. The Lyman 450 is a good one. I have no experience with the newer Lyman 4500 but my guess is that it is a great product.
Old September 8, 2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Sergeant

I use the Lee sizer. The Lee tumble lube is a little messy.

They way the tumble lube works, is you put some bullets in a plastic bowl and roll them around after squirting some lube on them. Tumbling until there all covered. Then place them on wax paper to dry.

If you look at the Lee molds you will see TL in the part number indicating the bullet is designed for tumble lube.
Old September 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #9
mikld

Quote:
mikld,

Is this what you're talking about. I have never resized bullets before.

http://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.452.html

Sergeant,

I am intrigued by the idea of sizing the bullets down, but like you said, all is well as long as I send them through the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Thanks all. Any more advice is certainly appreciated.
Nope. The set you linked is a Lee sizing kit. I'm saying the FCD is probably swaging the bullets down in the case, after they are seated, which negates any bullet sizing. Can lead to barrel leading and accuracy problems...