The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 13, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Wparrish

Best deal

#1. Smith and Wesson m&p full size 9 mm. For $479

#2. Sig sauer sp2022 full size 9 mm for $549

#3. Sig sauer sp2022 full size 9 mm for $599 with night sites.

Give me your opinions. Firearm will be used for home defense and range shooting.
Old July 13, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
allenomics

I'd buy the M&P because it is a striker-fired pistol and in my opinion easier to operate.
Old July 13, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

I've heard the Sig mags are expensive but both will serve you well!
Old July 13, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Tomac

Either 1 or 3 depending upon which action type you prefer, adding night sights to the S&W will make it's cost about the same as the SIG w/night sights.
Tomac
Old July 14, 2013, 06:35 AM   #5

Go with the new M&P. Make sure it has the new trigger
Old July 14, 2013, 06:41 AM   #6
shuler13

Best deal

The Sigs are overpriced in this scenario and the M&P is underpriced/right on. So for me the M&P is the better deal. The 2022 is less refined than the M&P or the rest of the Sig line but i still like it. However, I don't like the M&P trigger, even with the Apex kit installed, so I'd look around for a less expensive 2022.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Best deal

The M&P 9mm.

I love mine. As for the SIG's? I'm in love with my 2 P series SIG's. So if those were options, it'd be a much tougher call to make.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
CDW4ME

Either option 1 and add night sights or option 3.
Old July 21, 2013, 09:11 AM   #9
wbw

I got mine used for a decent price with two mags. It's a really nice pistol in my opinion. A little more difficult to take down than my 229, but other than that, I'm liking it a lot. It's a service pistol.

Old July 21, 2013, 11:04 AM   #10
RC20

I don't care for stricker pistols for SD/HD/CC. That said if the S&W had the manual safety I would put it in the running.

I have fired that gun but have handled it a number of times and its a good feeling gun and I do like S&W sights (but they are not night sights).

The SP2022 is an oustanding gun. Prcies seem a bit high but I am not up to date on them. Extra magazines are expensive no getting around that.

As for quality and relaiblity the SP2022 stacks up well with the guns in the 800-900 range.

One of the nice featrues is the slide relae and takedown lever that is combined. It makes for a cleaner left side. I like that.

Trigger is a good DA pull and while not as good as a DA revolver pretty close. Same for the SA, not as good as revolver but good and right up there with Poly guns. Its an easy shift from a revolver to that type of gun (My opinion) and I have no issue with the auto shift from DA to SA after the first shot. I tended to shoot my revolver SA unless it was very close shooting. I always liked the option to calm accurate fire vs lead throwing. I am not fast but I can be pretty good if I stay centered and calm.

I would not buy a gun without night sights, they work well. Sigs have good ones.

Price wise the S&W is the better value, but if you shoot the gun at all, that cost is quickly considered in ammunition so should not be the prime determinant (best you can do for what suits you is my motto).

MP has a good reputation so if the striker suits you odds are it will shoot well and likely be reliable. Some issue with S&W repair these days when in the past they were very good. One guy had a gun in twice and still not fixed. Sadly not uncommon as no one seems to be stellar on repairs at least from what I am hearing.

My nephew got a SP2022 and it had a bad chamber (problems seem in about the 5% range with Sig). They did give my brother the break in song and dance to start with until he flamed them. No issues on correcting it when it got sent in, but the chamber was very obvious and the gun function fine, just left nasty marks on the brass (someone not reloading might not care but it also had the chance of an ejection issue so I would not have let it pass anyway)
Old July 21, 2013, 02:15 PM   #11
RBid

Buying the right firearm > buying the right price, in my opinion. Your buying experience lasts less than 1 day. Your owning experience, given the right firearm, could last for years.

I think the SP2022 is badly underrated. There are more than 500,000 of them going strong in service use around the world. The down side is mag pricing, which is very steep. While they use high quality mags from Mec Gar, Sig and Walther charge a lot more for them than say... Smith and Wesson, who I believe is using Mec Gar mags for the M&P series.

The M&P is a fantastic pistol. The old trigger is bad for dry fire, but I don't mind it at all for live fire. Mag pricing beats the SP2022's, but mag availability has been a big issue for the past 7 months. For some reason, I've heard a lot of grumbling that M&P mags have come back slower than others.
Old July 21, 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Backwoodsboy

A good deal is purely based on ones perspective. For those of us who do not own or have a bad taste in our mouths for any of your selections, we can only give advise based on ideas and interpretations we've gotten mostly through second hand knowledge. My advise is too handle the pistols mentioned, shoot them if at all possible, and make a decision based on what you like about each. If in the end you are happy with your purchase then in my opinion you have gotten a good deal.
Old July 21, 2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Ratmanxx

Hi Point 9mm

Anyone have any experience with any of the Hi Point 9mm?
Old July 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #14
blackamos

Sig Pro is a very under valued pistol. I think they might be the best deal out their right now.
Old July 21, 2013, 07:23 PM   #15
ritepath

I went to a funshow yesterday with either a M&P or 2022 in mind. Their sigs were a bit on the expensive side vs the Smiths price, so I decided on either a 40 or 9 full sized M&P both for 470 bucks. Just when I was going to get the 40 I noticed a SR45. The rest of the story is history. I saved 71 bucks and come home with a fun gun...

Now I still need an M&P because I have 17 round mags and holsters.