The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 6, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Jeff #111

Pre-War Colt Official Police. Finally found one.

So a couple nights ago I learn that I have a little over $600.00 in my Toy Account (i.e, saving account). Hooray says I. Yesterday after several hours of working out in the yard I decide to treat myself and take a quick drive over to my favorite LGS ( Boulevard Gun & Pawn ) and see what they have in stock. He's always good for classic revolvers. I've gotten some great six shooters from him in the past such as a Pre-war S&W Heavy Duty and a pre-war OM Target.

My wife asks if I'm going to be buying anything. I respond with total sincerity "Oh no honey. The only thing I'm wanting right now for my collection is a Colt Official Police with a 4" barrel. I have yet to find one of those for sale here in the area. I'm just killing time." I really meant it by the way. I had begun to consider buying an OP from the Internet while I still can.

Well obviously you can guess the rest. I walk in and what should I see in the display case but an Official Police with a 4" barrel. The stars had aligned themselves. The owner's wife gets it out for me and I check it out. There is holster wear, but no pitting or rust. I found myself wondering if it had been either a cop or security guard's revolver at one time. The bore is nice and clean. Timing is on - very nice lock-up. Serial number is 601XXX giving it a date of birth sometime in 1936. Above the serial number is a T - which I understand means Targeted. Which Colt would do to all revolvers ordered by police and other governmental agencies. So it really was a Cop Gun at one time.The story might not be accurate, but it's a neat story. Carried often and not shot all that much. My suspicion about the holster wear makes sense.

The sticker price was $450.00. I haggled with the owner for a few minutes and he came down to $400.00 + tax. Bringing the final price to $425.00. Not bad. I can live with it. Yes I probably would have paid $350.00 three months ago, but can't be helped. I whip out the credit card and go home with my Official Police. Finally I now have one in my little collection of Colt handguns. But it's one that I've been wanting for many years now. Even more than the Python if you can believe that. Many will ask what's the big deal. It's just a plain-Jane utilitarian duty revolver. Well that it might be, but I've wanted one in my collection for several years now. So I'm pretty pleased.

Old March 6, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
MercyfulFate

Very nice! I thought about buying one for $325 some time ago, but as I had just bought a S&W Model 10 I passed on it. Nice find though!

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 6, 2013, 10:41 PM   #3
SaxonPig

That's a nice one. The OP is a treat.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:12 AM   #4
Chesster

Congrats. I love the COP and WWII Commandos. They one below is a prewar 5". The make great house guns as my wife can us them with minimal training and the heft keeps the recoil down. I've had at least one in my safe since the mid 70s. One of my favorite models.

Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 8, 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
salvadore

Here's my 1931 32/20 OP and my 1955 Marshal.
I would advise pulling the side plate, both of these shooters triggers were greatly improved after cleaning. The Marshal had dried gunk in the guts you could actually chip out.

Old March 8, 2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Very nice!

A few months ago I picked up an OP in .32-20, a 6".

I also have a late 1960s OP 6" in .38 Special.

Now I want a 4" .38 pre-war, either an OP or a PPS, preferably with the black rubber grips.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Jeff #111

That Marshall is a good looking revolver. I like the rounded grips. As you know you've got a real collector's piece there. Congratulations.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
salvadore

Glad you like it jeff, the action is so smooth the Misses, (not a gun person) can keep her double action shots inside a 5" bull from 15 yds most of the time.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Hundy

Thank you

Just wanted to thank you to everyone for posting the pics. Those are some real nice firearms. I hope to get a orginal one for myself in the future.
Thanks for sharing

Jay
Old March 10, 2013, 01:06 PM   #10
roaddog28

Great looking Colt. The Official Police and the S&W M&P always remind me of simplier times. Both were made to be simple yet effective.
Thanks for sharing,
Howard
Old March 11, 2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Mesquito Whitey

Very happy for you finding one you like. Mine is a 1935 that was a U.S. Customs gun, #429. I managed to trade an early S&W to the man that inherited it. I had it gone through by a well repected smith and yes, I had it reblued. I know some look down on that, but I want that gun to be brand new for one of my grandsons. Anyhow, here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt Official Police 010.jpg (260.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Colt Official Police 001.jpg (250.2 KB, 26 views)
Old March 11, 2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Chesster

Whitey, I see take off grips on ebay from time to time if you are looking to upgrade.

I was looking at my various COPs and find one made in the 50s marked COP with a round butt.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 13, 2013, 07:58 AM   #13
Jeff #111

That's a good looking OP whitey. I figure the choice to re-blue is just that. The owner's choice. Looks good to me.