The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 8, 2012, 10:44 PM   #1
BDD8

Suppressors in Canada

Since suppressors are now legal (not sure as of when) in the US are they also legal to own/use at a range in Canada (Toronto, Ontario)?
Old October 9, 2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Theohazard

Suppressors have been legal in the US since they were invented over 100 years ago. Their purchase and transfer was regulated and taxed with the passage of the National Firearms Act in the 1930s, and those federal laws regarding suppressors have stayed pretty much the same ever since.

As for Canada, I have no idea.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:17 AM   #3
BDD8

Ok. I'll take your word for it. Maybe it's been the media that's been spreading this myth? Or maybe most people just assumed it would be illegal since most people only know of "suppressors" (aka "silencers") in action films.

This is probably why suppressor companies have to remind people on their websites that suppressors ARE LEGAL in the US...and I think in the UK.

Canada, being supremely strict as they are...I doubt it. But I'm hoping I'm wrong. So much more freedom here in the US.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Technosavant

Quote:
Maybe it's been the media that's been spreading this myth?
It's more that people generally have no idea what the US laws actually ARE in regards to many things related to firearms. At the national level they are indeed legal but regulated and taxed. Some states have flat out bans... not many, but some do.

With Canada, your firearms laws tend to be stricter than those here.

A quick internet search indicates that Canada requires a permit to own one, but such permits are no longer being issued. If someone has such a permit it was not invalidated, but if you don't have one you likely can't get one. However, you will need to consult someone more knowledgable about the specifics of Canadian law in order to get the actual information.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:56 AM   #5
scpapa

Federal law allows ownership, with taxes, etc. Some states prohibit them.

Rick
Member IALEFI, SCLEOA
Old October 9, 2012, 11:17 AM   #6
SDC

No, unfortunately, suppressors are considered "prohibited devices" in Canada, and are forbidden to the peons; like so many of our other ignorant laws, you can thank the Liberal Party for this.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7
BDD8

I think one of the reasons why there is a lack of knowledge about suppressors in general is suppressors are known to most people as "silencers". In other worlds something only used in war and action films (or for real). By soldiers, spies and assassins. So most people assume suppressors are illegal.

And as some of you mentioned they ARE illegal in some states still. Anti-gun people are already afraid of people with guns. To know some gun owners can legally own and use suppressors...heh...

On the other hand, as much as I'm for legalizing legitimate ownership/use in Canada, I can see where the liberal party (and similar types) are coming from. In our major cities, like in any major city, we have our share of gun related crimes. Home invasions targeting gun owners. Putting more guns on the streets. If they can minimize the chances of seeing suppressors added to the list...

In the end, if Canadians want to have the same rights as many American gun owners...we'll have to move to the state with the degree of freedom we're looking for.

Last edited by BDD8; October 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD8
I think one of the reasons why there is a lack of knowledge about suppressors in general is suppressors are known to most people as "silencers". In other worlds something only used in war and action films (or for real). By soldiers, spies and assassins. So most people assume suppressors are illegal.
Suppressors ARE silencers. Silencers ARE suppressors. Neither word is more or less correct, in common usage, than the other. Fact is, ATF forms use the word silencer.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:24 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
...unfortunately, suppressors are considered "prohibited devices" in Canada, and are forbidden to the peons...
I feel that a little additional explanation is necessary to help the many American shooters on this list to understand Canadian law.

In Canada, so-called "Prohibited" weapons are not truly prohibited in the strict and literal sense. Someone who is already the licensed owner of a Prohibited weapon is considered to be grandfathered and can obtain other Prohibited weapons of the same class. However, if one doesn't already legally own a similar type of Prohibited weapon, it is nearly impossible to get a new license to possess one, and building or importing Prohibited weapons for civilian sale is generally forbidden.

IOW the system is essentially a closed loop- current legal owners can choose from current legally owned Prohibited weapons, but new weapons and new legal owners are not allowed under normal circumstances.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10
hermannr

When Harper kept his campaign promise and dumped the long gun resistration, he could have done so much more...The liberals, and the progressives, have suppressed firearm ownership to a crazy extent, The Brady bunch would be proud if they could claim part of it.