The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 1, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1
jbp7hl

Remington 600 Mohawk

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the Remington 600 Mohawk
Old January 1, 2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Elkslayer

My 660 6mm and my 600 308 are both very accurate! In fact I don't think I have ever read a post of accuracy problems with Remingtons 600 series of rifles. Those short, stout barrels don't seem to have problems. Both of mine are 20"ers tho.
Old January 2, 2007, 12:29 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Hunting rifles

they are carbines, actually. I have Model 600s in .222 and .308. Accuracy is great for 3 shots fairly close together. More if time is taken to allow the barrel to cool. The thin barrels on the original M600 tends to walk a bit as it heats up. Not everyone understands this, and blames the rifle, when in reality it behaves exactly as it should. These are light weight hunting guns, and are not intended to show good grouping from the bench.

I also have a Mohawk 600 in .243. The barrel is somoewhat heavier than the ones on the original Model 600 rifles, and it groups better off the bench. Most people use a 5 shot string to judge group size, and my rifle does tolerably wellm but it is not what it is intended for. Sighted properly, the first shot will be on target, a rapid second will be close.

A Remington model 600 (.308) was my first centerfire rifle, and they will generally group well enough for hunting, whatever the game. Just don't expect it to hold a tight group when it warms up, and they warm up fast.

If you want to shoot varmints, get a varmint rifle. 600 series Remingtons are game rifles, intended for deer in .243, 6mm, and .308, and they do a fine job. In .222 I would call it a "pest" rifle. Quite fine for occasional shots, but not up to the kind of job a heavy barrel varmint rifle is built for.

The 600 series rifles were sadly, ahead of their time. Never as popular as other offerings, but fine rifles none the less. Their cosmetics didn't appeal to alot of people 30+ years ago, but today they are enjoying considerable popularity with people who understand what they are for, and how to use them properly.

Jeff Cooper used the model 600 as the original basis for testing his Scout rifle concept. While not perfect, the 600 came closer to Cooper's ideals than any other commercial offering at the time.

If you want the best for punching paper, get something else. If you want a fine bolt action rifle that carries, points and swings well *(and is more than accurate enough), the old 600 series rifles are hard to beat.

If your rifle doesn't perform to your satisfaction, there are a few simple fixes that usually cure any problems. If you don't care for the gun on personal ground, pm me, I'm always looking for another one.

p.s. If you take the action out of the stock, be careful to get the sheet metal magazine box properly inserted when you reassemble it. The most common thing I see wrong with these rifles is somebody didn't do this, and "bowed" the nylon floorplate by tightening the action screws without having the magazine box correctly seated. They aren't perfect, but they are fine little guns. And remember, this was Remington's "economy" model! Times sure have changed.
Old January 2, 2007, 10:29 AM   #4
castnblast

My uncle had one chambered in 6mm. He loved it. I watched him kill lots of pigs with it. I don't ever recall him missing. I looked at it this past summer, and the closest thing I could get to it in length nowadays is the Howa 1500 w/ the 22" barrel. I never shot the gun, but he likes it because it is VERY easy to manuever in a hunting situation. That short little barrel doesn't catch on anything, especially when you are used to slinging a 26"er around.

Only negative thing I can say about that gun is that I recall there was some sort of recall on the trigger assembly or something along that line. Does anyone recall the specifics? I could be wrong though...
Old January 2, 2007, 01:33 PM   #5
trooper3385

I have a Mohawk in a 243 and have had wonderful results with it. This was my first gun that my dad bought for me I think in 1979 when I was 2 yrs old. He started grooming me early for deer hunting. I shot my first deer with it when I was 7 yrs old. The accuracy was always excellent with the rifle with reloads. It shoots almost identical with reloads and the few boxes of manufactured ammo that I've used in both 100 gr and 85 gr. bullets. I have since put a synthetic stock on it because my dad had cut the stock down to fit me better when I first started using it. I wouldn't say it is a long distance rifle with the short 18 in barrel, but I did make a one shot kill on a pig at 250 yds. Probably not a good idea with the 243 at that distance, but it did drop it in its tracks. It's not the best rifle to use at night to spotlight varmits since that 18 in barrel sends about a foot and a half torch out the end of the barrel. It's a fun and accurate little gun though that I still hunt with on occassions. I also have a friend that had one in a 308. That gun looked horrible, but it was deadly accurate. In my neck of the woods, there kind of hard to come by now. I did find 3 of them at a gun store in San Antonio a few months back that looked pretty used and were all going in the mid $600 range with a cheap scope on it. My father in law bought one off a a guy for a couple of hundred dollars in a 6mm this summer that looked pretty good. I would love to find a decent priced one in good shape in a 308. That would be a great brush gun. If you can find one in good shape, I would definatly get it. If you don't like it, your not going to lose any money on it on the resale.
Old January 2, 2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Wiley

I had one rechambered to .358 from .35 Rem, wish I had kept it.
Old January 2, 2007, 07:48 PM   #7
one-shot-one

my mohawk 600

in .308 will group as good as any 700 or mod. 70 stock out of the box.
Old January 2, 2007, 08:57 PM   #8
paknheat

I had a 600 in 6mm Rem, and it was a fine shooter. I kinda regret trading it off.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:22 PM   #9
essexcounty

I had one in .222 and it was quite accurate as one would expect, plus nice and handy. Regretfuly, itwent as trading fodder twoards a Wheatherby I HAD to have.......Essex
Old January 7, 2011, 12:02 PM   #10
pioneer95

I've used the mohawk 600 .243 since I was 7 and for the last 16 years it's hit 100% accurate i've had the scope sighted once in all those years, it's all a matter of how well u take care of your gun
Old January 20, 2011, 09:42 PM   #11
FALPhil

Mine shoots a cloverleaf for 4 shots. Trooper is right on the barrel heating.

I have always attributed the accuracy of my 600 (308 Win) to the short, stiff barrel. I did a lot of trigger work on mine. Triggers on the 600 are probably the trickiest of the entire Remington line. It is very easy to make them unsafe. I finally got mine where it needs to be and that contributes to the practical accuracy too.