The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2009, 08:10 PM   #1
sophijo

Browning BPS

BPS.jpg

I recently picked up a Browning BPS Upland..22" barrel. The "crown" looks like this (see attached photo); as if someone had hacked it off. Research revealed that this is what they look like from the factory! I'd like to finish it. Can I Dremel a radius on the crown and cold blue it? Maybe, forget the Dremel and just "turn" the radius with emory cloth?

Last edited by sophijo; August 1, 2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: addition
Old August 1, 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
john323

Do you mean the outside edge of the barrel? Otherwise just remove the choke tube and clean the barrel as you would normally.Clean the threads and remember to put grease on the threads ( lightly) before you reassemble.

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old August 1, 2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Pahoo

What I might suggest and have done in the past, on more than one occasion, is to mount one or those foam backed emery sanding blocks on a flat block of wood and position it over the muzzle. Make sure you are square and just rotate the block back and forth til you get the finish you want. This should allow for an even surface contact. Remeber that you just want a slight radius almost to small to see but you can feel it. take care not to get too far down the outside of the barrel or you will wind up chasing yourself. Then Spot blue the end.

Be Safe !!!
Old August 8, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
sophijo

BPS

John: yes, the outside edge at end of the barrell. It looks like Browning left out a stop on the production line. I checked two new guns last week and they were the same.

Pahoo: thanks, I'm going to use your technique. Do you have a "spot blue" recommendation?

Dave
Old August 9, 2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Pahoo

Quote:
Pahoo: thanks, I'm going to use your technique. Do you have a "spot blue" recommendation?
Right now I'm using a Brownells product that our local Gun Smith gave me but I suppose that most any would work. Might be a good time for the some other folks in the forum to provide input to this question. The product I am using is called T-4 Tough-up "Dicropan". Perhaps even just one of those felt tipped pens might work out well on this application. Might want to make sure your muzzle is pointing down when you apply the bluing.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 9, 2009 at 05:03 PM.