The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 9, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Maddog2020

Sears & Roebuck 22cal rifle

Can anyone assist? I need ammunition info on a 22CAL bolt action rifle that was sold by Sears. What 22CAL rounds can it shoot? LR, SR, etc.

The info printed on the barrel (see below) seems vague and I can't find any info on the internet.

Mod 1 CAL22
Model No. 27327010
Sears & Roebuck and Co.

Thank you ahead of time.
Old July 9, 2009, 04:21 PM   #2
ninjatoth

http://www.gun-data.com/sears_roebuck_guns.html

If it is the 1T,then it was manufatured by marlin.In marlin,it is the marlin 80.Check out a marlin 80,and if that is the same gun,then there should be info on the marlin 80 of what ammo it takes
Old July 9, 2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Maddog2020

Thanks Sam.

How do I determine if it's that model?
Old July 9, 2009, 04:33 PM   #4
csmsss

Quote:
If it is the 1T,then it was manufatured by marlin.In marlin,it is the marlin 80.Check out a marlin 80,and if that is the same gun,then there should be info on the marlin 80 of what ammo it takes
You misread the chart. The 1T was manufactured by Winchester, not Marlin.
Old July 9, 2009, 04:34 PM   #5
ninjatoth

if it looks like this pic than it is the same gun.I found a marlin 80 pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix2141963578.jpg (16.2 KB, 566 views)
Old July 9, 2009, 04:36 PM   #6
ninjatoth

sorry,I misread the chart,maybe check out ould winchester .22s now
Old July 9, 2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Maddog2020

CAL22 Picture

Thanks again.

I don't have weapon with me, but it's close by. I'll take a few pics and post so you can look at it.
Old July 9, 2009, 04:42 PM   #8
ninjatoth

like csmsss pointed out,we believe it is winchester and not marlin according to the chart
Old July 9, 2009, 05:01 PM   #9
ninjatoth

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_made_t..._Model_1_rifle
Old July 9, 2009, 05:03 PM   #10
ninjatoth

so according to wiki,it is a winchester model 121

http://www.rediscovered-shooting-tre...chester121.htm

is that it?
Old July 14, 2009, 12:26 PM   #11
Maddog2020

Sears Model 1 22CAL Rifle

Hi Sam,

Sorry it took this long to get back to you about this.

Yes I believe it's the exact same scenario you described to me in your second to the last post (which I took the liberty to re-post below). The rifle my grandson has appears to be the junior model too because it does look shorter in length and there are no swivels attached for a shoulder strap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Who made the Sears 22 cal Model 1 rifle?

Answer: The Sears Model 1 22 caliber rifle was a single-shot made by Winchester. Winchester also made the gun as their model 121. I have a "junior" model of the Sears Model 1 that I received from my father in 1967. The junior model is a smaller version of the gun for the beginner shooter. I have seen a Winchester 121, and it is not only longer than the Model 1, but the gun stock is also slightly different. The model 121 had sling swivels and my Model 1 does not.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ammunition information I needed was in fact stamped on the barrel of the rifle, but wasn't given to me when I asked for it. This Jr. model does shoot all three 22CAL shells, S, L, & LR, which makes perfect sense seeing how it's a single shot bolt action and has a lot of room to eject a LR shell.

I found a lot of rust underneath the barrel once I removed it from the stock (plus a few spots on top) which motivated me to re-blue it using a cold bluing process. I went to Big5 Sporting Goods and purchased Birchwood's Cold Bluing kit for next to nothing compared to what I paid the last time I sent one out to be done professionally, and I must say I am extremely happy with how it turned out. I've always wanted to try this one day and here was the perfect opportunity.

For those of you who may have said the same thing, well I'm here to tell you that I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow... just remember the old adage about the quality of a job being every bit as good as the amount of preparation that went into it! Well that's still true today as it is here.

I do have one more question to ask anyone who can tell me and that is how to do I go about disassembling the bolt from this rifle so I can re-blue just the parts that were blued to begin with. Does anyone have a basic set of instructions?

I am a fair hand at most things mechanical so I'm not worried about reassembling this later. If anyone could point me in the right direction first then I think it may go a lot quicker.

Regards.
Old August 4, 2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I do have one more question to ask anyone who can tell me and that is how to do I go about disassembling the bolt from this rifle so I can re-blue just the parts that were blued to begin with. Does anyone have a basic set of instructions?
I believe it's basically the same action as the Model 131, which is a repeater and has a detachable magazine. In the 131, if you look down on the open chamber, there's a tiny catch which can be depressed with something like a brass rod to release the bolt. Also, in the 131, if you remove the stock, there's a wee lever in front of the magazine well, which releases the bolt when you press it. I've don't know whether the 121 has anything similar on the underside of the receiver, as there's no magazine well, but I assume the basic mechanism is the same.
The model 121 Single Shot rim fire rifle was designed to provide beginning and young shooters with a bolt action system that would provide a safe, efficient, and reliable first firearm. In addition to handling one cartridge at a time, the rifle has a safety catch that automatically engages itself in the "safe" position each time the bolt handle is raised. The rifle cannot be discharged after each loading until the safety has been manually depressed. Three different versions of the basic model were available. The Youth model offers a short butt stock for the younger shooter; the standard has a stock of conventional length for the average man-sized youngster or adult. In addition, a third, Deluxe version has a standard length stock with the extra features of a Monte Carlo, fluted comb and sling swivels. The Model 121, in all styles, handles 22 short, long, or long rifle cartridges interchangeably. It was introduced in 1967 as part of a matched family of 22 rim fire rifles.

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS OF THE M/121 SINGLE SHOT BOLT ACTION RIM FIRE RIFLE

TYPE Single shot bolt action.
STYLE Youth, Standard, and Deluxe versions (youth version 1 1/4 inches shorter).
MAGAZINE None (one round in chamber maximum loading).
CHAMBER 22 rim fire; short, long, and long rifle interchangeably.
STOCK Walnut finish American hardwood; one piece modified Monte Carlo.
SIGHTS Bead-post front and open rear (Deluxe version has bead post front ramped and dovetailed; adjustable open rer sight). All M/121 rifles are grooved for telescopic sights.
RECEIVER Steel.
BARREL Winchester Proof Steel, 20 3/4 inch, round, 1-in-16-inch twist.
WEIGHT 5 lbs.
SAFETY Engages automatically when bolt is lifted for loading.
SERIAL NOS. The Model 121 rifles had no serial numbers.

The Model 121 rim fire rifle was last listed in the 1972 catalog and was dropped from the line for 1973. A total of 72, 561 were made.

From The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1992
By Thomas Henshaw, Pete Kuhloff, Duncan Barnes, Thomas E. Hall, George R. Watrous, James C. Rikhoff
Edition: 6, illustrated, revised
Published by Academic Learning Company LLC, 1993
Hope this helps.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:01 AM   #13
Maddog2020

Thanks for the detailed information...

Thank you Vanya. That was more than a mouthful and very well appreciated.

I am familiar enough with most bolt action hunting rifles such that I had already removed the bolt from the rifle when I first asked the question
about disassembling the bolt itself. Removing it however, is much the
same as you describe for the model 131 and becomes very obvious once
the stock is removed. I have disassembled and reassembled the bolt for
bluing and have already taken my grandson to the firing range. Everything
seems to be in working order or at least the same before I blued it.

My grandson already wants to modify the weapon by adding a scope to it so I have another question for the experts: As stated in the specs., the rifle
barrel is notched in such a way to accept what looks like a clamp-style
mounting ring(s). Is there some brand name or industry standard term used
that defines this type of mount? I have tried to purchase some via the
internet, but nothing I've seen so far looks like what I think they should
look like to accommodate these notches. Please tell me what's the proper
name to use when ordering these rings?

Note: Cross referencing the gun make/model to find them doesn't usually
work out because the Winchester model 121 is never listed.

Thanks ahead of time.

Maddog2020

Tags
22cal ammo sears roebuck