The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 15, 2005, 04:38 PM   #1
beenthere

Help with starter for Grand-daughter

I was just checking out muzzleloaders at the Rossi site as they have a new youth size model. It is available as 45-50 caliber. Short 20 inch barrel. Till now I've never done any M/L shooting so I need to ask whether a 45 cal. round ball would be too much for a 50 pound 10 year old. I wish they offered it in a 32 or 36 caliber but no such luck.The combination is available as 22LR/ 410ga/ 45M/L and I'm pretty sure she could handle the 410 okay.

Of course Grandpa will have to get something to shoot with her. Probably another 45 cal so she can be shooting the same as Grandpa.
Old February 15, 2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Mark whiz

If she can handle a 410 - she can handle shooting Round Ball with 60 to 70gr of powder, especially in .45cal.

But IF you ever want to shoot something beside round ball (i.e. sabots or conicals) - I would advise going with a .50cal instead. Between the two, you won't see any noticeable increase in recoil with balls - but You'll see a BIG increase in accuracy with the 50 when shooting sabots or conicals.
!
Old February 19, 2005, 05:27 AM   #3
SmokinTom

Check out the muzzleloaders at Bass Pro Shops online.They have a bunch of them and youth models too.Excellent prices too.
Old February 21, 2005, 01:41 PM   #4
armedandsafe

My granddaughter (11yo) now owns my .36, but loves to shoot my .50. Even with hunting loads and 350gr REAL bullets it is not too much for her. Of course, she is large for her age, but still pretty skinny. Another of my granddaughters is pretty small for her age, but she shoots the .50 quite well from the bench. She has trouble holding the weight when shooting offhand.

With "standard" or target loads, there is not too much recoil for either of them to handle. Remember that recoil is partly a function of the weight of the weapon. The heavier the gun, the less recoil. That's why my Belgian 16 gauge SxS whacks the H... out of me and the 16 ga Model 12 doesn't bother me at all.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old February 21, 2005, 04:15 PM   #5
beenthere

M/L for Grand-daughter

Thanks for the input. Her only experience so far is with a 22 and I'm anxious to get her moved up to a "bigger girls" rifle. Sure is fun doing with the grandkids.