The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 17, 2017, 12:00 PM   #26
RC20

I have done 3 that were factory so far.

Two were easy, one was hard.

I am not sure hard is the norm.

From the Savage nuts it seems to be maybe 1 in 8 plus or minus.

On the other hand I have a bolt screw I have yet to break loose!
Old February 17, 2017, 12:34 PM   #27
Stats Shooter

Quote:
On the other hand I have a bolt screw I have yet to break loose!
If you are talking about the screw in the back of the bolt, I have replaced two bolt handles and had to remove that screw. Both were stiff. What I found that helped ALOT was filling a small tuppeware or glass container with WD40 or some other kind of brake-free type liquid and let the bolt screw end soak in it for a day. then i clamped a set of vice-grips on a big fat screw driver for leverage and with the bolt clamped to my bench i got the screws to turn.

You may already know this, but i will add that you need to put that screw back in VERY tight...if not it can come loose. I used some plumbers tape to keep from having to torque it back in as tight as it was from the factory but, unlike barrel nuts, that screw must be put back on about as tight as it was when you removed it.
Old February 17, 2017, 02:39 PM   #28
Jim Watson

I saw a picture of the Savage factory barrel installer at work.
He had a looong cheater handle on that nut wrench. Of course he was doing it all day and the long lever arm saves fatigue, but he was still pulling on it hard.
Old February 17, 2017, 06:57 PM   #29
taylorce1

Easiest way to remove the hex bolt from the rear of a Savage bolt. This is on Savage Shooters Tech page.

Quote:
First off, as its been said here, the easiest way to remove a stubborn BAS is to insert the 1/4" allen wrench as shown below. Then on a carpeted surface or rug, apply pressure (as indicated by the orange arrow) downward with your foot. I recommend wearing shoes when you step down. Do not be surprised if you hear a "crack" sound when the BAS breaks loose, and in rare cases you my have to bounce or stomp on it to get it to break free.

Old February 17, 2017, 07:00 PM   #30
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Easiest way to remove the hex bolt from the rear of a Savage bolt. This is on Savage Shooters Tech page

That's all well and good.... Except that the screw on both my bolts takes a flathead screwdriver.
Old February 17, 2017, 07:41 PM   #31
reynolds357

Heat is your friend. Just do not change the temper of the steel too much.
Old February 17, 2017, 11:56 PM   #32
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi
That's all well and good.... Except that the screw on both my bolts takes a flathead screwdriver.
RC20 didn't state what kind of screw he has, and I was posting it more or less for his benefit. On the bolt screw like yours I just use an impact driver. One good whack with a dead blow and it's loose, can do the same with a hex head screw if you own an impact driver.
Old February 19, 2017, 12:21 AM   #33
Stats Shooter

Here's another question along the lines of Belted mag headspace.... Would a tighter chamber help reduce the potential bulge just below the belt? I really have never had a problem with my belted magnums bulging or separated case heads, the necks crack when my brass is spent.

But wouldn't a SAAMI minimum chamber reduce the chances for bulging? As stated before, the difference between SAAMI min and max in a .300 win mag is 0.008. The difference between my go and No-go is 0.004....But it's still "safe" at say 0.007 Which would not chamber a field gauge but leaves more of the case unsupported right?

I know if you are shooting factory ammo always it doesn't matter (provided it's within SAAMI), but as a handloader, wouldn't a tight chamber help prolong brass life?

I am aware of the collet die, but that squeezes the brass back into shape, it doesn't fix the spot that has been weakened by stretching and squeezed back (work hardened).
Old February 19, 2017, 11:36 AM   #34
RC20

First you have to hope the slot does not beat out if you use an impact wrench.

Not easy.

Also bolt has to be seriously secured (VICE) any give and the impact is absorbed

I would go with heat (and a vice)

I put mine on a towel and use a rubber hammer per the above setup.

In this case I need a wood piece over the wrench and a 5 lb hammer from the looks of it.

It do not think stepping on this one will do it (I am carefully with sudden jars to my back!)
Old February 19, 2017, 11:41 AM   #35
RC20

Mississippi:

Any stretch only occurs on the first firing. Its fine to set the head space up as short as you can but not a huge deal.

Your split necks are a result of neck hardening, aka you could extend with annealing.

If you are not breaking cases off at the base then you are doing it right. Minimum shoulder setback is the key.

Just set the headspace to where the bolt starts to close on the go gauge, but not fully.

Cross check that factory ammo fits.

Then go shoot.
Old February 19, 2017, 05:52 PM   #36
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
First you have to hope the slot does not beat out if you use an impact wrench.

Not easy.

Also bolt has to be seriously secured (VICE) any give and the impact is absorbed

I would go with heat (and a vice)
I didn't say impact wrench, I said "impact driver" there is a difference. An impact driver is made to be struck with a hammer and it barely rotates the stuck bolt/screw at all. Once you strike a good solid blow with a 1-2lb hammer the bolt assembly screw (BAS) like what's on the Savage rifle will be easy to remove.

Yes it's best to secure the bolt into a vise with "no-mar" vise blocks. I'm able to use all my gunsmith screwdriver bits in my impact driver, so it works just fine on the older slotted Savage BAS without screwing up the slot. When you put it back together a little dab of blue Loctite will keep you from having to torque the BAS screw as tight. It is all pretty easy to do.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 19, 2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Make Picture Smaller