The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 19, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

AWB Removed From Base Gun Control Bill in Senate

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/20...-gun-ban-bill/

Please don't get complacent. What happened is Feinstein was told that her AWB (S. 150) will not be part of the "base gun control bill" offered by Dems. This means that the bill that gets a floor vote will not have AWB language in it. However, Feinstein can still offer her bill as an amendment to this bill (or any other gun bill) and if she has the votes (50 or 60 depending on the procedural tactics used) it will become part of whatever bill she tries to attach it to.

The reason they did this is because the Dem leadership really wants registration and they are afraid that putting the AWB in the base bill will kill all of their gun control - and cause them to lose Senate races in 2014.

The game here is with the AWB separate, your not-so-Second-Amendment-friendly Senators can tell you in 2014: "I support the Second Amendment and voted against gun and magazine bans; however I continue to support reasonable, common-sense gun laws like (having you stupid hillbillies tell me what guns and magazines you own so that after I'm re-elected I can fix that) universal background checks."
Old March 19, 2013, 11:47 AM   #2
speedrrracer

Yeah, they'll try to backdoor it as an amendment, but it's still radioactive and won't get on board. Reid remembers '94.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Gaerek

Apparently the Universal Background Check bill will also not be a part of it either.

http://www.therightsphere.com/2013/0...ah-about-that/

Quote:
Democrat insiders say the universal background check, supported only by Democrats, will not head to the floor either.
You are correct, it's not time to get complacent, but this news is a big victory for gun rights. It appears that Harry Reid is an unlikely ally for gun rights. If registration were the plan, Reid won't kill UBC. Although we have nothing concrete, it looks like UBC won't have it's day on the floor either. I think it's almost as "radioactive" as the AWB is. Reid also knows, that being a purple state democrat, he needs these bills dead if he wants an even longer career in the Senate.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Let's hope the insider commentary is right as S.374 is much worse than just background checks and worse than any AWB. However, we still have to be alert and aware of amendments.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Gaerek

Agreed. We won't know for sure until the gun control package actually hits the Senate floor next week. I'm hoping that Reid's actions here kill any significant gun control law proposals for a while.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't feel real warm and fuzzy about universal background checks, but even that is preferable to registration. Registration is the first step on the road to confiscation.

The irony is that, in the days of the Founders, we had registration. Every able-bodied adult male was a member of the militia, and the commanding officer of each militia unit obviously needed to know what arms his troop would have at its disposal. Since in those days each member of the militia supplied his own rifle and basic ammo load, that meant that the militia commander had a registration of what his men kept at home for weaponry.

If I could actually believe that my state and/or local police department wanted to know if I have an AR-15 so they'd know who to call up in the event of a zombie invasion, I would support that. Unfortunately, I don't think that's quite what they have in mind.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:43 PM   #7
JimDandy

I didn't see a whole lot of registration in Schumer's BG Check bill, but you may want to read it Aguila. It's a train wreck. Gifts between immediate family are allowed, but transfers are not. So letting your kid shoot the 22 you own while he learns to shoot responsibly becomes a crime. You have to give him his own 22, he has to store it, etc. If you go plinking in the desert or national forest, you can't give anyone with you a turn shooting your newest aquisition (or any to be technical).
Old March 19, 2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

How do I "give" someone a firearm without "transferring" it?

Train wreck indeed ...
Old March 19, 2013, 01:10 PM   #9
BarryLee

While this initially sounds good I wonder if we would have been better off if the AWB proposals were left in the bill. Without it I think the main thing left is the ban on magazine capacity and this could make it much easier for some Senators to vote for those restrictions. They can now say they voted for “reasonable restrictions” without denying anyone the right to own a specific firearm.

Also, from a purely strategic standpoint restricting magazine capacity of rifles to ten rounds would significantly impact their popularity which might make them easier to ban down the road.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 19, 2013, 01:23 PM   #10
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
I don't feel real warm and fuzzy about universal background checks, but even that is preferable to registration. Registration is the first step on the road to confiscation.
UBC's could be the precursor to registration. Once checks are mandatory there will eventually be a bill or amendment to allow ATF to maintain records of when and who a NICS check was run on. Death by a thousand cuts? Be watchful.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:25 PM   #11
JimDandy

Quote:
How do I "give" someone a firearm without "transferring" it?
I mean you can't temporarily loan your kid YOUR 22 under your supervision on a day/camping trip to the Natl Forest, or desert or unincorporated area. You have to buy them one of their own as a gift. Gifts can go back and forth all day long, but Dad can't take Jr Shooting, then take the gun away again afterwards so Jr doesn't have it unsupervised.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I don't feel real warm and fuzzy about universal background checks, but even that is preferable to registration.
I can't see any sort of universal background check system working without registration.

How would law enforcement know a background check was conducted? That information would have to be recorded in some sort of persistent storage.

So yeah, it doesn't use the word, but registration is implicit.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:44 PM   #13
mayosligo

AWB Removed From Base Gun Control Bill in Senate

This does 2 things:
1. Democratic politicians in pro gun states do not have to vote on the AWB and it could help them come election time.

2. Sets up a compromise chip to get on the fence, weak pro gun politicians the opportunity to cave on the UBC (which is a gun registry scam).

Also, the longer it went the more distasteful the random list of guns became.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:59 PM   #14
TXAZ

2nd Amendment +1, Not-so-Feinstein -0-

A small but significant victory for the constitution :
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-19-13-51-09

If you believe in the Congressional Kabuki dance, then this was a minor victory.
If not it is a major victory.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 19, 2013, 02:09 PM   #15
2damnold4this

It looks like the bill increasing penalties for gun trafficking and the school safety funding will pass the Senate but the renewal of the AWB is dead.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:11 PM   #16
tynman

Its a start....
Old March 19, 2013, 02:15 PM   #17
dos0711

Don't be lulled into a false sense of victory...this is probably just a strategic move.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:15 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

Threads merged.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:24 PM   #19
Yankee Traveler

This is a huge victory, but as said, it will not end. Guard the back door just as well as the front!

Back to writing my Reps!!

But...why I gotta be a stupid hillbilly?
Old March 19, 2013, 03:09 PM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

You can expect heavy pressure for state laws like NY or CO to be passed.

The only reasonable stop is another round in the SCOTUS and perhaps this time Scalia and friends won't be so loose with reasonable restrictions.
Old March 19, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
adamc

You forgot Connecticut's Gov and Senators will chime in.....to further the push

Don't trust them....

it isn't over until the PLUMP lady sings, AND I'm NOT Talking Hillary

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 19, 2013, 03:26 PM   #22
harrys ghost

“Right now her amendment, by the most optimistic measures, has less than 40 votes,” Mr. Reid said. “I am not going to put something on the floor that can’t succeed.”
Old March 19, 2013, 04:39 PM   #23
Mausermolt

im so happy about this small step forward! either way you look at it, its still a victory for us. im gonna go celebrate with a nice cold victory beer
Old March 19, 2013, 04:50 PM   #24
harrys ghost

Another "fan" weighs in ...

http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/19/sa...defeat-of-fein

Following the embedded links take you to some interesting, and amusing, articles.
Old March 19, 2013, 04:52 PM   #25
BarryLee

Ok, looks like we still have a little issue here.

Apparently Mr. Reid plans to hold two votes on Ms. Feinstein’s bill. One will be the AWB bill including the magazine restrictions. I think we all know this is not going to pass, but provides some cover so Senators can vote against it while supporting the other initiatives.

Mr. Reid apparently plans to also hold a separate vote on just the magazine limit portion of the Bill. Apparently the Senate Leadership believes the magazine restrictions might have a chance of passing.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...aning-support/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman