The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 23, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
tchunter

hogs down

Just thought the hog hunters might like these pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120211-00152.jpg (244.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120211-00151.jpg (182.7 KB, 116 views)
Old February 23, 2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

A picture isn't worth a thousand works, especially when sideways. No information? You downloaded these from the internet, killed them all yourself, had help, shot them on safari in Turkey, killed with your bare hands, used dogs?
Old February 23, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
rickyrick

Tags?
Old February 23, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4
hoytinak

Quote:
Tags?
I noticed that too. Guess they're not over run with'm like we are here in TX.
Old February 23, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
tchunter

Sorry for the lack of info guys. A group of us got invited to south texas by our boss for a christmas bonus hog hunt. The tags just had names on them so they knew who's was who's. Turn out a few of the guys had their hogs sent to a butcher. We sat in blinds morning and evening with not much luck so on the last day we went for a little spot and stalk and stacked them up. Oh ya didn't realize the one pic would be siseways, got bored at work and downloaded from my phone.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Logan9885

Looks like a d@mn good time to me!!! Congrats!
Old February 23, 2012, 01:47 PM   #7
rickyrick

Glad you had fun....and glad you killed some of our pigs.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:44 PM   #8
farmerboy

Yep there's plenty here in Texas for everyone. It is fun though. I find myself chasing them about every week or two around here. A 223 does wonders right in the ear!
Old February 24, 2012, 03:12 PM   #9
tchunter

Ya they aren't real fond of a .25-06 to the ear either, kind of messy
Old February 24, 2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Hansam

About hunting hogs in TX.

I'd been wanting to do that for a while but never been able to get down to TX and for that matter I don't know anyone down in TX or where I'd go hunt hogs.

Any tips?

Oh yeah do you need any specific licenses to hunt hog in TX?
Old February 24, 2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Okay, that is a little better. How about, how many hogs did you get? What did you shoot them with? How far? I understand that the guy who is the worst shot often shoots the biggest pigs (what else can he hit?). Did that apply to you guys? How many folks got hogs that time?

Often people overly embellish their hunting stories as they regail us with yarns about their shooting prowess, woodsmanship, craftiness in the selection of their shooting spot, or round up a 150 yard shot to 200 yards...but you haven't given us any of the good information.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; February 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old February 25, 2012, 08:58 AM   #12
tchunter

I guess I'm a rookie at telling hog hunting stories but here's the answers. 30 people total went, took 57 hogs. The property I was on had 8 of us hunting. Everybody in our group shot at least one. Out of the entire group, one guy got skunked. The only reason I used yardage was because I used my range finder, can't realy speak for everybody else. *Except as you say the guy that probably shouldn't even cary a gun shot the biggest hog and I personaly ranged from the hog to the blind 296 yards. The moon and planets must have been aligned just right that day. Don't get me wrong I had some luck on running shots but most of the guys spent a fortune throwing lead. As for over embelishing, i can only speak for myself. Not too sure of the guys who "dropped them at 500 yards running". I did range mine. So in the end I shot two with a 25-06, and our group of 8 shot 17 hogs. In the future I will use more detail when telling a hunting story, my appologies.
Old February 25, 2012, 09:07 AM   #13
tchunter

As for going hog hunting in texas I am lucky enough to have a boss who takes a select group down there every year, and he foots the bill. On the down side we go to ranch that can provide the hunt and lodging. I would much rather hunt private property but can't really turn down a free hunt. There is a license required for non resident that is 48 bucks. If you don't mind the drive most hog hunt packages are pretty reasonable. On the down side if you hunt a ranch you do it their way so you can't really just take your gear and go hunt.
Old February 25, 2012, 09:19 AM   #14
tchunter

Sorry again the yardages I talked about were on another thread. Shot a texas dall at 186 yards, an 80lb sow at 92, and a 120lb boar at about 50ish running at mach 2. All with savage axis .25-06 and bushnel dusk and dawn 6-18 scope. Hornady superformance 117gr sst, nikon riflehunter range finder, oh ya won the gun/scope last year in a 10 dollar rafle.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing. That is very cool!!
Old February 25, 2012, 06:38 PM   #16
farmerboy

I have alot of hunting tales. Alot of them may not mean alot to you but alot of them will be remembered from me forever. Alot of pigs I drive to a spot about 2 miles away because I can drive right up to it in my truck, never get out and overlooking a huge bottom land that you can see for about 3/4 of a mile. Ive made alot of shots about 50 yards to 300 yards. Took alot of pigs to town and gave them away to the hispanics hor food and when they get enough I shoot and let buzzards have them for 2-3 weeks. Yes some may exagerate distances or amount of game taken. I dont know you yourself may be one of those people for all I care. I dont have to, I probably shot more deer out my window than most shoot in a lifetime. The amount of shots I made and will make believe me if I miss, I miss and if I make good shots I do. All in all most are my stories without wittnesses. O well, my memories!