The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2011, 08:31 PM   #1
LJOHNS

Remington 1100 trouble

I have an older model 1100 that will not cycle a second round. I replaced the o ring and checked that the gas ports are clear on the barrel. I even pulled the but plate off and checked the spring and everything looks fine. Anyone have any other ideas before I take it to a smith?
Old December 15, 2011, 08:57 PM   #2
oregunner

A little more info? Is it kicking the first shell out? The most common thing I see wrong are the rings (Gas piston) installed incorrectly. Then check the shell stop. Is the second shell coming out of the magazine? Mark
Old December 16, 2011, 05:35 AM   #3
LJOHNS

No the first shell does not eject
Old December 16, 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
lead head

Push the two pins out of the side of the receiver. Then pull on the trigger guard. You will now have the "hammer" and lots of moving parts that help in the function of the shotgun. Clean all of these very well, it's common for these parts to get dirt, sand, and powder residue. Don't worry they are all attached to the trigger platform and will not come out.
Old December 16, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5
AllenJ

Is your 1100 a 3" model? If so you'll need to shoot either 3" or heavy 2 3/4" to get it to function properly.
Old December 16, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
zippy13

The most common thing I see wrong are the rings (Gas piston) installed incorrectly.
+1, Youbetcha.
Old December 16, 2011, 01:50 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
The most common thing I see wrong are the rings (Gas piston) installed incorrectly.
+2 = 99.99% of the time, this is the culprit

Quote:
Push the two pins out of the side of the receiver. Then pull on the trigger guard. You will now have the "hammer" and lots of moving parts that help in the function of the shotgun. Clean all of these very well, it's common for these parts to get dirt, sand, and powder residue. Don't worry they are all attached to the trigger platform and will not come out.
This does not affect cycling - the gas system does
Old December 16, 2011, 03:09 PM   #8
lead head

It can affect the cycling as I have bought 2 1100's from people that couldn't get them to cycle after working on the piston system . I'm not a smith but the action has to go back in order for the shell to be fed. So if the grim is slowing the action and causing it to not feed then the problem can exist.

Last edited by lead head; December 16, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old December 16, 2011, 04:52 PM   #9
markj

There is a tube runs thru the butt stock this tube holds a return spring it can get gummed up so be sure to remove the butt plate and run some cleaner thru it till it cycles correctly. There is an upgrade kit for the older 1100s, your gun smith can get it for you, it has what is needed to restore an old 1100 that has quit cycling shells if all other things fail. (had one got it fixed) totsal cost was 175.00 at moneymakers here in Omaha ne on 16th street a few years ago.
Old December 16, 2011, 05:08 PM   #10
oregunner

Most 1100s don't work because they are dirty or misassembled, not because they are worn out. Get a manual or walk through it with someone that knows how to do it. Check out the videos on youtube. A gun that is clean and lubed will work the vast majority of the time. If you go to a gun club, ask around. There are probably half a dozen folks there that can take one apart and put it back together blindfolded. Mark
Old December 17, 2011, 05:42 PM   #11
LJOHNS

Thanks for the info. The gun is pretty clean. How can the gas piston be installed incorrectly? I have never taken that apart? And yes I know what kind of shells to use.
Old December 17, 2011, 05:50 PM   #12
zippy13

The rings can be oriented on the tube 8 ways and only one is correct. Check your owners manual. If you've never had them off for cleaning, then there's a pretty good chance the gas works are mucked up.
Old December 17, 2011, 07:03 PM   #13
LJOHNS

I just watched a few Youtube videos on the 1100 and I already found the problem. The sliding steel ring that goes on last and just behind the O ring is completely missing! I must have accidentally misplaced it the last time I tore it down for cleaning! I will order a new one from Brownell's and see how it goes. I have learned so much from Youtube!

Thanks
Old December 17, 2011, 07:10 PM   #14
oregunner

At least three people on here suggested that it was a problem with the rings, but do we get any credit? No.... It all goes to youtube. Oh, well. Mark
Old December 17, 2011, 07:11 PM   #15
LJOHNS

Sorry! thanks guys!
Old December 19, 2011, 04:56 PM   #16
markj

Quote:
not because they are worn out.
lol. I wore one out, shot thousands of rounds thru it over a 20 year frame of trap and skeet. Used to shoot 6 or 7 boxes a day thru it. I still have it if you wish to look it over, as I said they do make a restore kit for these makes em just like new.
Old December 20, 2011, 11:17 PM   #17
M4BGRINGO

Mine worked great for a bit over a 1000 rounds (have no idea how many had been put through it previously) before I had a problem. The action was flopping-around in the back, eventually was sticking and having a hard time ejecting shells, finally it jammed completely!

I found that the rear plunger assembly that locates and buffers the breech bolt assembly on the action bar was gone. After replacing the spring and plunger all was fine.