The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 10, 2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Don P

Revolver in IDPA

I have been thinking of trying my hand at SSR in IDPA. Can someone enlighten me as to why the speed-loaders are carried in front of the holster and not on the opposite side as with magazines? I don't remember covering this at our safety officer class and the rule book does not explain it nor give a option as to position.
Thanks
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 10, 2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Mas Ayoob

You can have them behind the opposite hip if you want. Most carry on their dominant hand side because unlike reloading an auto, speedloading the wheelgun requires simultaneously aligning six little cartridges with six little holes. It's more dexterity intensive, so most do better by allowing the more dextrous hand to perform the task.
Old October 10, 2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Don P

Thanks Mas for the info. Boy I can see this is going to take a bunch of practice.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:53 AM   #4
jmorris

It's really a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. I reload with my weak hand and never have to loose grip with my strong hand.
Like Mas I am also a 5 gun master so it can be done effectively. My best advice is to play with a timer set on par time and see what you are better at.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:45 AM   #5
MrBorland

Quote:
Most carry on their dominant hand side because unlike reloading an auto, speedloading the wheelgun requires simultaneously aligning six little cartridges with six little holes. It's more dexterity intensive, so most do better by allowing the more dextrous hand to perform the task.
And unlike ejecting a mag, ejecting the empties ties up both hands, so when one hand is finally freed up, it needs to get to the speedloader pronto. The quickest route is straight down, which just happens to be right in front of the holster.

Quote:
Boy I can see this is going to take a bunch of practice.
Anyway you slice it, smooth revolver reloads take a bunch of practice. If you can, find a good SSR shooter to help you through the reload. The good news is that 1) lots of practice can be done at home and 2) the practice pays off handsomely.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:07 AM   #6
shootniron

Quote:
The good news is that 1) lots of practice can be done at home and 2) the practice pays off handsomely.
This is very true. Mas said that it is normally done with the dominant hand and it is for most folks, but I have practiced it a ton and I actually use my weak hand to place the cartridges in the cylinder, so it works better for me to carry them on the weak or left side. So, whichever side you choose, practice will produce measurable results. Good luck.
Old October 10, 2011, 11:57 AM   #7
MrBorland

Either strong hand or weak hand reloads are viable. I generally use a weak hand reload for moons, and a strong hand reload for speedloaders, but I can switch if the situation calls for it (e.g. cramped quarters).

There are advantages in being able to switch hit, but I'd start off with the one that comes more naturally.

One note on the strong hand reload, though: Watch your muzzle! Ideally, you'd get the muzzle vertical to help clear the empties, but this can put you perilously close to a muzzle violation, and a possible DQ if you mess up. I try to keep the muzzle a little a little forward to be safe (see pic).

BTW, as you can see in the photo, my strong hand immediately goes to the speedloader as soon as The Switch is made. When the gun comes down, the speedloader's waiting for it, and the rounds go in. Lowering your 2 hands (& the gun) before grabbing the speedloader is very common, but a real time waster.

Another time waster is closing the cylinder. Many pinch the cylinder closed with their fingers, then raise the gun. Bah. Once the rounds are in, snap your eyes to the target and push the cylinder closed with the butt of your weak hand as you raise the gun. Your weak hand is perfectly positioned to do this as it's re-establishing its grip.

Old October 12, 2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Don P

Great advise and tips to help get the ammo falling ( hopefully into the cylinder and not the floor)
Excellent info and pics MrBorland