The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1
AKGunner

Down side to shooting lighter loads? 45acp

I shoot a lot of 200 gr swc bullets through my 1911. From 200-350 each trip to the range. Do any of you all shoot the 185 or 155 gr so called "target loads" through your 45? The prices seem considerably lower from some lead casters.

Why not shoot them punching paper?

Thanks for your opinions
Old September 28, 2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Crosshair

The main disadvantage is a sometimes significant change in the point of impact. There is also the issue of cycling in some guns. Other than that, they are just fine for punching paper.

I cast the Lee 160 grain RN and will try my second batch sometime this week. I screwed up the first batch by casting them too hard.
Old September 29, 2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Scorch

I load 185 and 200 gr target loads for my 45. I avoid lighter bullets and very low velocity loads due to cycling issues. I imagine if you changed out the recoil spring you could shoot 155 gr at very low velocity with no problems. My favorites are the 200 gr LSWC because they cycle teh action reliably and don't kick hardly at all.
Old September 29, 2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Bailey Boat

Personally I try to have my practice rounds equal to my carry rounds, weight and recoil impulse wise. I carry Speer 185 grain Gold Dots that chrono around 900 fps. I load Berry's 185grain FP to the same (or as close as possible) velocity. POI is within an inch with either round at my practice ranges (usually around 3 to 20 yards) and my Colt Defender loves either load.....
Old September 29, 2008, 04:26 PM   #5
CowTowner

Quote:
Personally I try to have my practice rounds equal to my carry rounds, weight and recoil impulse wise.
+1. I carry 185 Grain Winchester Silver Tip HP in my .45 ACP and I load 185 Grain JHP from Zero for practice ammo. Not exactly the same bullet, but close enough for good practice. I also make sure to fire a box of the Silver Tips every now and then.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 29, 2008, 05:17 PM   #6
zippy13

For paper punching practice, my light load is fairly typical old school...
  • 191-gain SWC (alloy = equal parts of wheel weights and "hard" shot plus 1.5% tin)
  • 3.5-grains of Bullseye
  • CCI #300 Large Pistol primers
  • Remington-Peters cases w/ cannelure
This load is surprisingly accurate for home cast, and if functions flawlessly in my Gold Cup with the original type spring.
Old September 29, 2008, 10:16 PM   #7
dardascastbullets

Hi AKGunner,

Our .45-185 gr. SWC's are used by many bullseye shooters for 50 yds, 25 yds., and 50 ft. indoors with no problems. I believe your question is a searching question in that you would like to know the success of others using the 185 SWC?
Old September 30, 2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Mike1

In most of my guns light 185gr loads will feed and function OK (albeit somewhat slower) without changing a spring. I use these for fun paper punching. When it comes to more serious practice, I use a load that has a POI close to my carry loads.

Mike