The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 1, 2018, 07:41 PM   #1851
Low Friction

Quote:
Watch out for those gas checks, because the typical semi-wadcutter profile doesn't run well in lever guns...not sure about Henry.
I'll find out if they cycle. If not they'll be relegated in my revos. I'm in a holding pattern with any 327 load dev until I move. Hope to get rolling soon.
Old March 1, 2018, 07:50 PM   #1852
turkeestalker

Quote:
That tube is way too large and just adds additional weight.
Cost is the bottom line.
It costs less to use the same barrel blank and magazine tube.

You're absolutely right though, it does look ridiculous as the .32 rounds are dwarfed by it.
I thought that there would be issues with the rounds going into the tube as it's lowered, (some of my tube fed 22s are temperamental like that), but no problems at all.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:01 PM   #1853
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINEX19 View Post
Finally got my hands on the .327 Henry in 20". Very nice rifle with one glaring exception that I can not figure out why Henry allowed this firearm to be designed and sold in this manner. I know it is just a scaled down version of their other "Big Boy" models, but why O why would you go through the effort of creating this gun for the .327 and leave a tube magazine that is large enough to fit a 44 round in it? That tube is way too large and just adds additional weight. I would think it should have been an easy swap and to make it work. Looks goofy too, in my opinion. (I dislike front load tube mags anyway, but when your the only game in town, I have no option.)

The good news is that I have had zero problems and malfunctions so far (@ 100 rounds) with .327 Fed Mag, .32 H&R Mag., and 32 S&W long. I have not tried .32 ACP, but really have no desire to at this point.

Overall, I am happy with this rifle.
It's bawdy looking alright, but if the tube is that much larger than the bullet, one could make themselves a speed loader that's a tube itself and insert it into the end of the tube and dump the rounds in no problem.

I have a speed loader like that for my tube .22's, it's called a Spee-d-Loader. Looks like this:

Only issue is the tube for .22 is small and sometimes something will slip and I'll dump a bunch of .22 on the ground. Being able to insert the tip into the tube would fix that.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:11 PM   #1854
turkeestalker

Quote:
For deer, what bullet weight would you choose and what's the max distance you would take a shot that will be as clean a kill as possible?
I've taken a lot of whitetails with a 100gr bullet, but they were traveling a whole lot faster than Federal's American Eagles will from a 20" Henry barrel.
I suspect that 20 inches might be at or over the optimal tube length limit for a 327, but what do I know.

I need to bone up on what's out there, but I wasn't planning on getting into loading for mine until more suitably constructed bullets become available for what I perceive to be the potential for this rifle.
Are there any projectiles available that aren't constructed for typical hand gun velocities?

That said, I believe that it's going to be a shorter range proposition for now on deer with any commercially available ammo.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:29 PM   #1855
saleen322

One of the best performing bullets for the 327s tried so far is a 132 FNGC. It shoots very well in our Henry. Anything between 1.16" to 1.53" inches works in the Henry magazine without any problems. I have fudged that out to about 1.6" but snags in feeding increase as you get above about 1.54". The 32 S&W Long with a 95 grain bullet is fun to shoot and quite accurate so long as you are at least 1.16" OAL.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:39 PM   #1856
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeestalker View Post
I've taken a lot of whitetails with a 100gr bullet, but they were traveling a whole lot faster than Federal's American Eagles will from a 20" Henry barrel.
I suspect that 20 inches might be at or over the optimal tube length limit for a 327, but what do I know.

I need to bone up on what's out there, but I wasn't planning on getting into loading for mine until more suitably constructed bullets become available for what I perceive to be the potential for this rifle.
Are there any projectiles available that aren't constructed for typical hand gun velocities?

That said, I believe that it's going to be a shorter range proposition for now on deer with any commercially available ammo.
This is about the only one I know of:

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...roducts_id=301
Old March 2, 2018, 06:51 AM   #1857
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
For deer, what bullet weight would you choose and what's the max distance you would take a shot that will be as clean a kill as possible?
They tested three commercial loads for the following review. All of them broke 2000 feet per second when fired from the 20" Henry Rifle. The American Eagle soft-points came in around 2200 fps. I think those are the most affordable factory option and they'd be fine for deer.

http://www.guns.com/review/gun-revie...-fed-mag-video

As far as distance, it's probably in the same category as the other magnum pistol-caliber lever guns. I'll be very excited to read reports from anyone who takes this new rifle on a hunt. Heck, I'd be happy to hear any .327 hunting stories.
Old March 2, 2018, 07:48 AM   #1858
BIGR

Dang you guys, keep talking about the .327 pistol and rifle and your going to cost me a bunch of money. I've about got that gun buying itch that I am gonna have to cure.

All jokes aside, the more I read about that caliber I find it to be a very versatile addition to anyone's collection of guns.
Old March 2, 2018, 08:59 AM   #1859
Real Gun

Quote:
This is about the only one I know of:

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...roducts_id=301
I wonder about that .312. My Rimrock gas checks are .313 like the rest of my lead bullets and are used among my most accurate loads.

Seems like everything out there is for 32-20, 32 SWL, or 32 H&R, not 327 Federal. Some of the ogives are long enough that rounds at minimum COL and standard trim length will not gauge but do fit in my Single Seven or SP101.

Gauges and lead bullets don't work very well, but they do tell you when your loads are off standard...some rounds fit and some don't, right on the edge.

Shorter semi-wadcutters like Penn's 95 grain could hang up in a lever rifle action. Truncated cone (TC) with flat point is really what we need in a lever rifle.
Old March 2, 2018, 09:11 AM   #1860
Low Friction

I have some of these Cast Performance 113gr GC:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...eck-box-of-250

Unfortunately have not tried them yet but they have a truncated cone profile.
Old March 2, 2018, 09:13 AM   #1861
Real Gun

The latest edition of Guns of the Old West has an article on evaluation of the 327 Henry. I didn't think it belonged in that topic but the article was interesting. A number of references to use in Cowboy Action Shooting struck me as a bit lame, because the Henry is not the best equipment without the ability to effectively reload on the clock (tube load versus gate load) (less than a 5 second penalty). The modern Henry Repeating Arms action is not from the 19th century, so it isn't widely respected or even allowed in some categories requiring authenticity.

There was also a couple references to putting a scope on the gun, which might be okay with a 30-30 (like my Marlin) but not good form on a pistol cartridge saddle gun meant for very moderate distances and styled to suggest the Old West. I guess my eye might accept it on the Steel but not the Brass model. Whatever.
Old March 2, 2018, 11:02 AM   #1862
Real Gun

Quote:
I have some of these Cast Performance 113gr GC:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...eck-box-of-250

Unfortunately have not tried them yet but they have a truncated cone profile.
What came up for me using that link is a Flat Nose with a leading band (ahead of the crimp). A TC works because of the flat-sided taper and for lack of that leading band to catch in the action as the bullet approaches the chamber. A truncated cone is very plain. The truncated part is the flat nose.
Old March 2, 2018, 11:50 AM   #1863
Low Friction

Here's a pic of the bullet. It does have a flat side just ahead of the crimp groove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP.32.113gr.jpg (70.6 KB, 409 views)
Old March 2, 2018, 01:08 PM   #1864
Real Gun

It is a round nose flat point. There is an obvious arc to the ogive. Imagine it continuing to a ball nose, a sort of egg. Nevertheless, that bullet should work except for that leading band. I had some 44 cal bullets that weren't running in my rifle and I wound up being able to use them by crimping over the leading band, hiding that ledge that gets caught. They were cowboy loads, so no real concern about loss of case volume with a deeper seated bullet.
Old March 2, 2018, 06:13 PM   #1865
saleen322

I had some of the Cast Performance 113 grain and they shot fine in the revolvers and in the Henry. I just never bought any more because they were lighter than what I wanted and I got a 132 grain mold. I don't know what rifles had issues feeding the 113 but they were never a problem in the Henry.
Old March 7, 2018, 12:05 PM   #1866
ViperR

Hey all,
Finally got my Ruger Lipsey's Single Seven .327 back and the gun smith did a wonderful job fitting the classic plow handle grip (replacing the Birdshead grip frame).
I ordered the rosewood panels and the grain is beautiful and contrasts nicely.
It has perfect balance for me now with the 3 3/4" barrel and it does look a Sheriff's model.
Now, off to the range!

Last edited by ViperR; January 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old March 7, 2018, 03:25 PM   #1867
BIGR

Nice pistol ViperR, let us know how the range session goes.
Old March 8, 2018, 10:27 AM   #1868
Satchmoeddie

.327 Fed Mag will do some things a .357 S&W Magnum cartridge can't do, and will never do. 17-20% more ammo in the cylinder, and with the super Magnum velocity with a smaller diameter projectile, it goes through barriers like helmets, car doors, doors, walls and windshields at much greater distances. No government agency is likely to revert back to issuing wheel guns, or pistol caliber carbines, for a standard duty gun, but these rounds will do so neat tricks their jelly bean ammo just won't. It shoots flatter farther. It's a great coyote or feral pig round. Your .327 can shoot .32 H&R, .32 S&W, .32 Short, .32 Long colt, and it should even shoot .32ACP. If you want to talk about a truly stupid useless round: .45GAP, none of the power of even .40S&W, and all of the drawbacks of .45ACP, so you get the worst of both worlds! I like my little .327 guns! I can load up .327 while driving, then dump that out and load .32 H&R or Long for the hotel room, so I don't send any bullets into the next 9 rooms through the tissue paper walls. .32 H&R is not a really an old round either. There no finer DA trigger than a Colt D or I frame that has had a little work done, but a stoned & polished S&W can come very very close.
Old March 8, 2018, 10:51 AM   #1869
Real Gun

From the loading data I see that even subsonic light loads in 327 cases are a good bump in velocity above maximum for 32 H&R loads. I use these for carry ammo, since full power 327 Federal would be just crazy without hearing protection. If I was a hunter I would use the light load there too, saving full power stuff for a rifle and ear plugs.

I refer to loadings taken from Brian Pearce's article in the Handloader magazine some years ago.
Old March 9, 2018, 10:24 PM   #1870
centurion20000

Picked up a pair of these. I flat out LOVE this round.

That one with the adjustable sites is going to get converted to a BH and chopped a little.

End goal planned, a perfect woods packing pistol with more authority than a 22 mag and a nice backup pistol that literally fits in my boot.

Old March 9, 2018, 10:52 PM   #1871
Armybrat

Where are you guys finding the Birdshead Single 7?
Old March 9, 2018, 11:18 PM   #1872
TruthTellers

I picked up my .327 Henry today. What a rifle, both the guys at the counter at the LGS were in awe of it because they both love the .327 cartridge too (even though neither of them have any .327 chambered guns.) They're a bit far from me, but I may have to drop by and show them some pictures of the groups I get to persuade them to get themselves one.

Anyway, I can't wait to put my spare scope (Mueller APV 4.5x-14) on it after I get a base in. I think with my itinerary to use Trail Boss in .32 H&R Magnum cases with some 85 to 115 grain bullets to keep it subsonic, this rifle is going to be a tack driver at 100 yards. My hope is I'm going to be able to achieve 1 inch at 100 yards with this.

Because I have a stupid fascination with maximizing tubular magazine capacities, I wanted to see how many rounds of .32 ACP would fit. Turns out 15 is the max capacity with flat nose .32 ACP, but the Henry likes to feed two of them at a time. X)

Cycled fine with .32 H&R reloads I have, but I just tried some Magtech .32 S&W Long with 90 grain SJHP and they hung up the first time through and shaved some lead off. That could have been me, I'm not use to lever actions and this is my first lever gun, but if could be that with .32 S&W Long and non round nose bullets there may be feed issues.
Old March 9, 2018, 11:59 PM   #1873
saleen322

Quote:
Cycled fine with .32 H&R reloads I have, but I just tried some Magtech .32 S&W Long with 90 grain SJHP and they hung up the first time through and shaved some lead off.
Check the OAL and make sure it is at least 1.16". The shortest rounds our Henry will handle is 1.16.
Old March 10, 2018, 12:23 AM   #1874
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
Check the OAL and make sure it is at least 1.16". The shortest rounds our Henry will handle is 1.16.
Old March 10, 2018, 12:38 AM   #1875
saleen322

That will feed no problems in ours if it is 1.195"