The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 26, 2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Gbnk82

AR500 armor and spall prevention

First let me start right out by saying that body armor isn't high on my list of neccesaties. however I do believe it is good to have. With that said I recently took advatage of a black Friday deal on AR500 on their new veritas carrier with basic lvl 3 plates and some mag pouches for less than 200 bucks. I know the many downfalls of ar500 including being defeated by common xm193 from a 20" barrel and fragmentation. But the deal was just to good to pass imo. Ill eventually upgrade to some decent ceramics but for now I plan to make use with this set up. Ive seen the spall gaurds sold online by a few companies and was just wondering if anyone has any exlerience with these and how well they work? As well as which ones you'd recommend, or any other recommendations to contain spalling. Again I know the many shortcomings of steel plates but its what I have now for temporary use until I can move into something better so I'd like to make the best of them for now and for a future backup pair.
Old November 26, 2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Gbnk82

Also just to throw in. I know someone is going to come along and say to make sure to train in any body armor you use to get use to it. Which I do plan on doing.
Old November 26, 2017, 05:22 PM   #3
GarandTd

Expecting to be shot at?
Old November 26, 2017, 05:34 PM   #4
Gbnk82

Not at all. Working security it would be bice to have around and also just one of those things I feel would be better to have on hand at home.