The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 9, 2019, 08:15 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

New to me 331 in 32 H&R Magnum

First off I want to give a big thank you to HighValleyRanch. I wouldn't have this fine firearm without his help.

If you don't know much about this firearm, it's a very light titanium model. Weighs next to nothing. I got it to replace my 351PD in 22 Magnum. The 22Mag is a great gun, but I wanted slightly more caliber, but still controlable in a 11oz gun. That leaves 32H&R to fill the role.

327 is nice, but the lightest gun is the LCR with 17oz. Charter arms makes a nice one but it's only a 5 shot. This one is 6.

So I just finished slugging the barrel and throats. The barrel is .310 and the throats are .312 although I can't get a .312 bullet to go in by hand.

I spent last weekend casting and sizing bullets to .314. I now have a .311 sizer on order and will have to reduce them once more.

I haven't shot it yet but will soon. If anyone is interested I'll update the thread.

Old July 9, 2019, 09:57 PM   #2
JERRYS.

6 shot centerfire J frame sized gun, awesome. ive been trying to trade into a LCR .327 for my daughter... no dice.
Old July 10, 2019, 07:20 AM   #3
fourbore

The 32H&R is my favorite of all the 32 revolver rounds. That s&w looks like a great revolver. A real step up from 22mag. Ammo has become hard to find and pricey. If anyone has the option the 327mag has an edge for versatility. The 327 is a lot more powerful. A bit of a surprise and for my small game and plinking needs I am shooting my old stash of 32 H&R ammo. The H&R maybe juts about ideal for that weight frame.

Nice!
Old July 10, 2019, 10:17 AM   #4
JERRYS.

I'd want one because its the only modern revolver six shot small frame that can fire .32 S&W Long that my daughter prefers.
Old July 10, 2019, 02:44 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Awesome. I'd like to have one.
Difficult to justify, however.

Quote:
I'd want one because its the only modern revolver six shot small frame that can fire .32 S&W Long that my daughter prefers.
Do you not consider the Ruger LCR .327 Federal to be 'small frame'? Or is it more of a classical preference type of thing, where you don't consider the LCR to be a revolver? (Anti-polymer attitude.) --Not picking on you or trying to start a fight. Just curious.

For that matter, there's the Ruger SP101 .327 Federal, as well.

I own both in .327 Federal.
For carry, they're loaded with .32 H&R to reduce hearing damage. When hunting, they might get the 'real stuff' and be stoked with .327 Federal. Most shooting is done with .32 S&W Long, however.

This past weekend, my son (7) shot the LCR for the first time with some .32 ACP in the cylinder (not recommended and it doesn't work in all Ruger revolvers; but I had it on hand for another handgun).
Old July 10, 2019, 04:38 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

The LCR is 17 oz. while the 331 is 11 oz.
Getting into this category, that is a considerable difference.

I would have bought this little gem, but since I live in the woods, I wanted to keep .357 as my minimum carry. If it had only been SD, then yes, I would have gotten it.

I did quite a bit of research on it trying to decide. Found that this model is quite rare, having sold for high amounts on gunbroker.

Glad that a fellow Firing Line member got it and kept it in the family!
Old July 10, 2019, 09:51 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The LCR is 17 oz. while the 331 is 11 oz.
Getting into this category, that is a considerable difference.
Indeed.
My reply was in regards to JERRYS, however, whom made no mention of weight being a factor.
Old July 11, 2019, 02:04 AM   #8
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Awesome. I'd like to have one.
Difficult to justify, however.

Do you not consider the Ruger LCR .327 Federal to be 'small frame'? Or is it more of a classical preference type of thing, where you don't consider the LCR to be a revolver? (Anti-polymer attitude.) --Not picking on you or trying to start a fight. Just curious.

For that matter, there's the Ruger SP101 .327 Federal, as well.

I own both in .327 Federal.
For carry, they're loaded with .32 H&R to reduce hearing damage. When hunting, they might get the 'real stuff' and be stoked with .327 Federal. Most shooting is done with .32 S&W Long, however.

This past weekend, my son (7) shot the LCR for the first time with some .32 ACP in the cylinder (not recommended and it doesn't work in all Ruger revolvers; but I had it on hand for another handgun).
yeah, I do. see my first post.
Old July 14, 2019, 06:32 PM   #9
Super Sneaky Steve

Just shot this little gun. I was using a Lee 90gr (93gr for me) LSWC over a max charge of Bullseye.

I have to say this gun strikes a perfect balance. The weight matches perfectly with the cartridge. It doesn't hurt to shoot it at all. Recoil is mild yet it hits hard enough to be effective.

My book estimates around 950fps. I haven't measured mine. A .310 hole is the same as an AK-47. I see no reason why this wouldn't work in a self-defense situation.

It's accurate and doesn't make me want to flinch.

I don't know if this would completely replace my 351PD as a gym shorts pocket gun, but it's close. The easier a gun is to carry the more likely you will carry it and this one is just about as easy as it gets.

It would be nice if S&W put these back into production. Don't be shy of the 32. Try one and you'll like it.
Old July 15, 2019, 09:31 AM   #10
reteach

Quote:
... perfect balance ... with the cartridge. Try one and you'll like it.
I absolutely agree. I really enjoy my Single Seven Birdshead and my LCRX. [Not to mention my CZ 83 in .32 ACP.] They're all easy to carry, accurate and comfortable to shoot. I load the LCRX with .32 H&R and I feel fine about the capability of that round if I ever have to defend with it.

I keep telling myself that I'm through buying guns. I have everything I need. More than I need, and I should really be selling some. But I know that when Ruger finally makes the 3" LCRX in .327 Mag, I'll be on that like a duck on a june bug.