The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 7, 2018, 11:31 AM   #1
flyboy015

Has anyone used Browning "BPR" .22lr Ammo?

Hey all. I've been trying to do some research and I've found an interesting mix of reviews. Browning (Actually Winchester) makes three different loads in the 22lr "Browning Performance Rimfire" line, including a 40 gr 1255fps LRN, a 37 gr 1400fps fragmenting hp, and a 40 gr 1400 fps lead hp, which I am most interested in. It seems that load may be very similar to a CCI velocitor, in terms of energy delivered.

Anyone have experience with any of these rounds? I've heard of rampant quality issues, though it seems the dates of those reviews are more than a year old.

A more affordable, more available Velocitor would be awesome! Certainly my favorite 22lr hunting round- though if I do a gel block test on the 37 gr fragmenting bullet, that might change my mind.

I do have some velocitors coming in the mail from Gander Outdoors. Finally found some! In the past, I've been able to get close to 1" groupings of 5 rounds at 50 yards with the velocitors, and IIRC, sometimes 0.75" groups. It would be interesting to see how these BPR rounds compare in the accuracy department.
Old June 7, 2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Areoflyer09

I have a box of the 40gr 1255fps. I haven’t had any major quality issues. It’s more reliable than Golden Bullets for me, but less than Mini Mags. So far I’ve had maybe 15-20 rounds out close to the box of 400 that have had issues that were ammo related. All of them were failure to fire issues.