The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 14, 2018, 08:32 AM   #1
chris16371

Scope Recommendations

My Sako 85 Finnlight 7mm-08 is finally coming in this week but I still haven't decided what glass I want to put on top. This rifle will be my primary whitetail gun up here in Warren County PA, assuming it's accurate and consistent. The amount of scope manufacturers and models to choose from is nauseating so I've only looked at Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, and Trijicon since I'm familiar with them. I made a list of scopes that caught my eye, almost all from Leupold. Feel free to make recommendations from my list or your own personal recommendation from any manufacturer or both. I would not object an explanation of features you like or why you are recommending that particular scope. I appreciate it, thanks!

Vx-3i 2.5-8x36
Vx-3i 1.75-6x32
Vx-R 1.5-5x33
Vx-R 2-7x33
Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old March 14, 2018, 10:27 AM   #2
TrueBlue711

All great options! I have at least one scope from all those companies minus Trijicon. My favorite two companies are Leupold and Vortex. From your list, the VX-3i's have great glass and I like the VX-R illuminated reticle. If your state's hunting hours run during dusk, I'd get the VX-R. You'd be surprised how much that illuminated reticle helps when it starts to get dark.

Do you have a budget for the optic? Vortex makes a great scope and they're more cost effective than Leupold (and have lifetime warranty as well). Nikon and Bushnell are also more cost effective than Leupold, but I'd go with Vortex between Nikon, Bushnell and Vortex.

Also, if you're law enforcement or military, all of those scope companies give around 40%-45% discount.
Old March 14, 2018, 12:48 PM   #3
burrhead

They're all good. I would pick the 2.5-8X36 only because my old eyes need all the light I can get. The 1.5-5X33 would be a close second. My go-to rifle wears a VX2 3-9X40 that I keep on about 4X out to 200yds and it works well for me at dawn and dusk.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old March 14, 2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Don Fischer

Those are all good choice's and not a lot of difference in any of them! Were I you I'd just go look t all of them I could and see which one I like best!
Old March 16, 2018, 11:06 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

I am really surprised that nobody suggested a 50 mm objective to gather more light at dusk. JMHO
Old March 16, 2018, 02:47 PM   #6
jmr40

Quote:
I am really surprised that nobody suggested a 50 mm objective to gather more light at dusk. JMHO
Scopes don't "gather" light. They transmit light through the scope and there are several factors to consider. The scopes magnification combined with front objective size determine the diameter of a beam of light that comes out the rear and into the eyes of the shooter. A 40mm objective at 8X will allow the same diameter beam of light through as a 50mm Scope set at 10X. Below 8X both let more light through than the human eye can use.

If looking for a scope with only 8x or 9X on the top end a 50mm scope offers no advantage. And for any magnification above 10X you need to go a lot bigger than 50mm.

With most of the OP's choices topping out at 5X or 6x anything bigger than a 30-36mm lense is a waste. The 2.5-8X36 scope will be somewhat handicapped at 8X, but will allow the same amount of light at 7X with a 36mm objective as a 10X scope with a 50mm lense.

A 50mm scope is only an advantage when set on 10X, and only for 2-3 minutes in the morning and evening.

Winston Churchill
Old March 16, 2018, 03:11 PM   #7
chris16371

I appreciate the insight on light transmission!

I'm in between on wanting illuminated reticle and not wanting it. Some info I've read on the VX-R was a lot of mixed opinions of both good and bad where the Vx-3i I haven't seem many complaints. I would be leaning toward the VX-3i 1.75-6 if I decided I don't want an illuminated reticle. Still haven't made up my mind though. I should also probably mention the barrel length is about 20.5" and I do a lot of walking so I'm looking for a scope that won't over due it in weight, size, magnification, and objective diameter. On occasion I do sit up in a stand.

Also I was looking for Talley mounts that the ring is built right into and I couldn't seem to find them for a Sako 85, anyone know if they are made for my rifle?

Old March 16, 2018, 04:40 PM   #8
Capt Rick Hiott

I am a Meopta guy. I have big one on my new 6.5 creedmoor!

Meopta scopes are regarded as one of the best in Europe. (Its like Leupold over here). I have bought two high end scopes from Meopta and like them a LOT!! They are GREAT in low light!

Check out the Daylight Transmission (%) listing.
Most sites that list spec's on there scopes don't even list there daylight transmission %.

Check this out,,,,,,(They have plenty to choose from)

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/sh...rd/ctgRus.html

Last edited by Capt Rick Hiott; March 16, 2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old March 16, 2018, 04:47 PM   #9
std7mag

Leupold is always a good choice.

My Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI is currently wearing a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X42 with BDC. Shot a doe at 413 yards early cloud cover morning.

I just put a Sightron SI 3-9X40 on a co-workers rifle. Run about $130. Really impressed with the glass for that price point.

Sightron is USA based. Best known for their SIII with the bench rest crowd. Very popular overseas, but for some reason not quite as well known here.

I'm hunting Moshannon State Forest, Elk & Cameron counties.
Old March 16, 2018, 07:16 PM   #10
chris16371

I think I've narrowed it down to 2. Either the Leupold Vx-3i 1.75-6x32 or the Trijicon Accupower 1-8x28. I've never hunted with illuminated reticle so the Trijicon intrigues me and the fact the magnification goes both higher and lower than the Vx-3i. I like my Acogs and Rmrs but I'm wondering how I'll like the objective size of the Accupower, also the price is about the same as what the rifle cost. With the Leupold all I can say it's a Leupold and most of my rifles wear one so Ik I would be happy with it but that's also a reason I may want to try something different.

Old March 16, 2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Troy800

I like Leupolds. I have never used the Trijicon but be sure the illuminated can be adjusted low enough. I dont like the illuminated scopes for deer hunting, they look good in dim light but dont like them at dusk. At least my vortex but that may be due to the thicker illuminations. Trijicon may be finer. Be sure to look at it somewhere dark if possible. They look alot different in daylight than dusk. I do like my leupold fire dot with a green spotlight for coyotes. The contrast of red dot and green light works great.
Old March 16, 2018, 08:16 PM   #12
Coloradohtr

All great scope choices. Get what you like and can afford. Leupold and vortex both have great warranties. I have Leupolds on all my hunting rigs and vortex on all my tactical rifles except for my 300blk SBR that has an EOTech on it. You don't need to drop the money for a Swarvoski, Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss or Lica to have a great hunting scope.
Old March 17, 2018, 02:08 PM   #13
SSA

I used to read all the bs about bigger objectives on scopes not doing any good. Finally bought one for myself to find out.
A 50mm objective lens lets in more than 50% more light than a 40mm, and under some conditions where I have personally tested them, can give you more than 20 minutes more shooting time at sunup and sundown.
Old March 23, 2018, 03:54 PM   #14
BuckBerry

VX-3i

Chris,
I bought my first Leupold about 4 months ago. I went with the VX-3i with 30mm tube, 4.5-14x40 w/ CDS turret. I put it on my X-Bolt in 270 Win. It has quickly made me a believer in Leupold! Yes, it was more than i had ever spent on a scope, but its completely worth it IMO. The custom elevation turret is so sweet, good positive clicks that seem to be completely repeatable. Also, it gives me every single minute of shooting light and then some (30 min after sunset). Simply put, I love it!

Another scope I've been looking at a lot lately, (and have ordered), is the Bushnell Engage, 2.5-10x44. 30mm tube. Also, Bushnell is running a "30 for 30" rebate right now...30% rebate on those scopes for 30 days of March. I plan to put that one on my Savage Model 11 in 243. These are very new still but the reviews that are coming in are very solid. This line from Bushnell would ring in at about half of the price of a Leupold of similar specs. Hopefully that Leupold hasn't completely spoiled me from ever owning a cheaper one...?

Hopefully this was helpful.
Old March 23, 2018, 04:21 PM   #15
603Country

I’m also a Leupold fan, though I have a Vortex or two and a couple of Burris scopes. I’ve always liked the 4.5-14 Leupold VX3 and prior models, but these days, for hog hunting, I want an illuminated dot. To get the combination of features I want, this time i’m going with a VX5HD in 3-15, with the illuminated dot. The light intensity can be varied. I thought i’d have what I wanted with the Vortex Viper and the illuminated reticle, but the reticle, even on minimum intensity, is too bright.

I bought a used fixed 6 Leupold at a gun show in about 1980. Used it on my 270 for maybe 8 years, then sold the gun and scope to a brother. Last year the scope broke (loose glass lens), so I swapped my brother a 6-18 VX2 for it, though I really didn’t need a fixed 6 anymore. I just recently sent the busted 6 power off to Leupold. They couldn’t fix it and don’t make that model anymore, so they have shipped me a new VX2 6 power. Now THAT’S a warranty. Leupold will get more of my business
Old March 24, 2018, 05:48 PM   #16
chris16371

Thanks for the replies everyone! I still haven't decided and started to look at different brands. Has anyone used a Vortex Razor HD LH? I see they have it in a 1.5-8x32 which is right around the magnification and objective size I'm looking at already. I see it costs right around $750, what model in other brands does this scope mostly compare/resemble in regards to glass quality, reticle, light transmission, durability, etc.?

Last edited by chris16371; March 24, 2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old March 26, 2018, 09:50 PM   #17
chris16371

In case I didn't mention it and the information is needed to help answer my questions the rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight 7mm-08 20" barrel.

Does anyone make ring and base that's a solid piece instead of them being there own individual piece for the Sako 85 Finnlight? If I can't get a solid mount I was thinking of just getting Sako Optilock rings and bases but I'm just not sure what height would be ideal, anyone know the ring height I should buy?

Old March 27, 2018, 03:16 AM   #18
NHSHOOTER

You should check Talley rings, they are 1 piece and they do make them for many different rifles. As far as height that would depend on the objective size of the scope you pick.
Old March 27, 2018, 06:08 AM   #19
chris16371

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSHOOTER View Post
You should check Talley rings, they are 1 piece and they do make them for many different rifles. As far as height that would depend on the objective size of the scope you pick.
Most of the scopes I've looked have a 32mm objective but in case I decide on something else and for the sake of not having to ask twice what ring height for objective sizes 28mm, 32mm, 33mm, and 36mm

Old March 27, 2018, 09:12 AM   #20
eastbank

I have two of my deer rifles, rem LH 700 7mm-08 and a rem 700 LH in .308 and have 2.5x8-36 leupold scopes mounted and they are fine for deer hunting. I shot two prong horns out west, one at 280 yards and one at 310 with the 7mm08 with 120gr nosler bt,s at 3000 fps. both one shot kills.
Old March 27, 2018, 01:15 PM   #21
chris16371

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
I have two of my deer rifles, rem LH 700 7mm-08 and a rem 700 LH in .308 and have 2.5x8-36 leupold scopes mounted and they are fine for deer hunting. I shot two prong horns out west, one at 280 yards and one at 310 with the 7mm08 with 120gr nosler bt,s at 3000 fps. both one shot kills.
That's great to hear your success with the 7mm-08 caliber. I've wanted one for awhile now and everything I've read made me feel confident about it's capabilities.

What length barrel is on your 7mm-08? Ik that my rifle is a different manufacturer but what scope ring height are you using with your 36mm objective scope? Right now I'm pretty sure the scope I'm putting on will have an objective of 32mm or 33mm so I'm hoping your ring height will give me a general idea of what height I'll need. For example if you use medium rings I know that I won't need higher then medium, of course there's other things to consider but I need a starting point.

I've always mounted my own scopes unless the rifle came with one mounted but anytime I needed to buy rings I would go into a shop and tell them what rifle/scope and they would give me rings. Unfortunately the place I normally buy my firearm accessories doesn't supply the rings I'm looking for.

This rifle is going to see a lot of time on the range and in the woods so the optic, rings, etc need to be perfect.

Old March 27, 2018, 11:45 PM   #22
Savage99

Those scopes are all light which is the theme of the rifle.

Get a Leu. with an American name.
Old March 29, 2018, 10:54 AM   #23
jackmoser65

Better look again. The Trijicon has a 34mm tube and is 25 ounces. That's a pound heavier than the 1" Leupold and is going to make a big difference in carrying and handling. For a lightweight walkabout rifle, I'd check that one off.

Quote:
Scopes don't "gather" light. They transmit light through the scope and there are several factors to consider. The scopes magnification combined with front objective size determine the diameter of a beam of light that comes out the rear and into the eyes of the shooter. A 40mm objective at 8X will allow the same diameter beam of light through as a 50mm Scope set at 10X. Below 8X both let more light through than the human eye can use.

If looking for a scope with only 8x or 9X on the top end a 50mm scope offers no advantage. And for any magnification above 10X you need to go a lot bigger than 50mm.

With most of the OP's choices topping out at 5X or 6x anything bigger than a 30-36mm lense is a waste. The 2.5-8X36 scope will be somewhat handicapped at 8X, but will allow the same amount of light at 7X with a 36mm objective as a 10X scope with a 50mm lense.

A 50mm scope is only an advantage when set on 10X, and only for 2-3 minutes in the morning and evening.
Quoted for truth.
Old March 29, 2018, 12:08 PM   #24
NHSHOOTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSA View Post
I used to read all the bs about bigger objectives on scopes not doing any good. Finally bought one for myself to find out.
A 50mm objective lens lets in more than 50% more light than a 40mm, and under some conditions where I have personally tested them, can give you more than 20 minutes more shooting time at sunup and sundown.
I will have to agree with SSA on the 50 mm objective argument
Old March 29, 2018, 03:16 PM   #25
chris16371

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmoser65 View Post
Better look again. The Trijicon has a 34mm tube and is 25 ounces. That's a pound heavier than the 1" Leupold and is going to make a big difference in carrying and handling. For a lightweight walkabout rifle, I'd check that one off.

Quoted for truth.
Wow I didn't even look at the weight on the Trijicon, OUCH!!!! I'm glad you pointed that out, I would of been very disappointed if I would of made that purchase.