The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Targa

Skeet shooting options

Hi all, I am looking for a fun skeet shooting option for my wife. 12 gauge is to much for her so I am thinking that a 28 gauge might be the ticket, I have been thinking along the lines of a Stoeger Uplander? Any thoughts are appreciated but I do like the $400 price point. I like the idea of a side by side but am not against the idea of a over under.

Last edited by Targa; August 14, 2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old August 14, 2018, 09:09 PM   #2
FITASC

Personally, I try to stay away from cheap SxS or O/U guns as their barrel regulation and build quality tend to really suck. Add to that that a SxS REALLY needs to fit well in order to shoot well, I would vote against it. A 20 gauge semi might be better.if she truly can't handle a 12. I know women in their 70s that shoot 8# 12 gauge O/Us, but they do that by shooting light 12 gauge loads. No more than 1oz running 1200 in a gun that fits should be the ticket.

Most importantly, let your wife pick out what she wants to shoot; go to a club and see about renting/borrowing as many different guns as possible.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 14, 2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Targa

Yeh, I might see what we can rent and the only shotgun she has shot is my 12 gauge Mossberg Thunder Ranch and 870 Rem so that admittingly amplifies the recoil a bit.
Old August 14, 2018, 09:48 PM   #4
FITASC

And I would bet that neither fit her well, which would thus transmit a lot more felt recoil
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 14, 2018, 10:24 PM   #5
Ricklin

12 ga. Gas gun

Consider a semi shooting 1 oz. Loads or less at no more than 1100 fps.

Her gun MUST fit her. Light loads in a semi are very "friendly" her gun must fit. I repeated myself because of the importance.

A gun that does not fit both amplifies the recoil and increases the difficulty.
Old August 14, 2018, 10:25 PM   #6
Ricklin

12 ga. Gas gun

Consider a semi shooting 1 oz. Loads or less at around 1100 fps.

Her gun MUST fit her. Light loads in a semi are very "friendly" her gun must fit. I repeated myself because of the importance.

A gun that does not fit both amplifies the recoil and increases the difficulty.
Old August 15, 2018, 07:32 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

Find a used Remington 1100 in 12 gauge. Softest shooting 12 gauge made.

And as said get a gun that fits her, makes all the difference in the world.
Old August 15, 2018, 10:09 AM   #8
pete2

A used 1100 gun, 12 or 20 ga should work. My daughter and 2 daughters in law shoot both guns.
Old August 15, 2018, 10:31 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...for my wife..." Take her shopping for a semi-auto. You have no say in any of it. Like FITASC says, the thing has to fit her, not you or anybody else.
Old August 15, 2018, 11:31 AM   #10
AFK

I picked up an older 1100 20 gauge standard which is built on the 12 ga. frame. Super soft shooter and my wife is very sensitive to recoil. She loves it.

I did adjust her LOP by cutting the stock a bit and adding a kickeez pad.

Last edited by AFK; August 15, 2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added info
Old August 15, 2018, 12:11 PM   #11
FITASC

Quote:
I did adjust her LOP by cutting the stock a bit and adding a kickeez pad.
Did you also adjust the cast, pitch and toe? Women, moreso than men, need those better fitted to them due to their "anatomy"
Old August 15, 2018, 12:32 PM   #12
stuckinthe60s

skeet isn't cheap. get use to it. buy her a gun w/o looking at the price tag. when she says.....this is the one....flip the tag over and buy it.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old August 15, 2018, 01:47 PM   #13
AFK

Quote:
Did you also adjust the cast, pitch and toe? Women, moreso than men, need those better fitted to them due to their "anatomy"
No I didn't. We don't get out shooting much with work and kids. When we do, we have fun. In her mind and mine, if she can walk away breaking about 1/2 of the birds on the easy course and not be sore afterward, it was a good day.

Having a gun fit to you for optimal performance is obviously going to increase one's performance on the course. It is also a pricey endeavor. With kids and daycare chewing up the funds, sometimes that's just not practical. I guess it depends on what level you want to get to. If you desire to put in the time and money to improve to your greatest level, then a gun fitting should be at the top of the list. If your desire is to spend time together by doing an occasional shoot, then close enough is good enough for me.
Old August 15, 2018, 02:33 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
skeet isn't cheap. get use to it.
A LOT cheaper than sporting clays though. Most places run ~$40-$50 per 100 targets. Then add in the cost of the ammo; makes golf look cheap.
Old August 15, 2018, 04:54 PM   #15
Targa

I contacted a friend of ours, he is going to let us give his semi auto Beretta a go to see how she likes it and rent a couple of different over unders for her to shoot as well at the club he shoots at.
Old August 15, 2018, 05:01 PM   #16
FITASC

Excellent. If it were me, I'd buy him a few boxes of nice ammo, like Remington STS or Winchester AA as a thank you.
Old August 16, 2018, 07:09 AM   #17
Kvon2

I can unfortunately recommend against the uplander. I have the colander supreme and I sent it back for warranty work due to double fires and the safety engaging between shots. Once I received it back, its now a 50/50 chance on whether or not I'll get a light primer strike.

I do have a pointer semi auto that gets more use and that has been flawless. They gave affordable pumps, semi autos and double barrels.
Old August 16, 2018, 12:27 PM   #18
idek

I have this type of Winchester SX3 in 20 gauge. The stock came with spacers to adjust length of pull and shims where the stock meets the receiver to adjust pitch and cast a bit.

I don't especially like the looks of the stock, but the ability to make some of those "fit" adjustments easily is a nice feature. The included recoil pad is a Pachmyer Decelerator, which is decent. LOP is about 13" when no spacers are used.
Old August 16, 2018, 07:28 PM   #19
stuckinthe60s

anything occasional is cheap.
true skeet will drain your wallet real quick with do-dads and 5 cobblers crawling all over your gun.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner