The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Evan-0-Matic

Passing on a GREAT deal???

Went to a local gun show today, not lookin' to buy... But of course i just happened to come across a beautiful (new) SIG 226 (rail and E2 grip/ trigger).

Dealer wanted $689... Is this a deal i would be nuts to pass by?

I've thought about getting another 9mm, but never came across anything to justify that 'want' till now, haha. I'm headed back to the gun show tomorrow if need be, so give me your opinions asap!

Thanks guys!
Old September 18, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2
SHNOMIDO

sounds like a wicked deal to me.

Personally, I'd actually be suspicious. In a pawn shop or newspaper, where there might be ignorance or desperation involved, I'd feel like i stumbled upon easy prey.

In a LGS, theres gotta be something up with it. If it looks like it makes the grade, I'd lap it up. If it comes down to it you can sell it for a profit, even after putting 1000 through for fun.

Great price, Id be suspicious.
Old September 18, 2011, 01:12 AM   #3
shootniron

There is not much risk with a new gun as it should come with a warranty.

I recently passed on one in like new condition with 4 mags for $425.00 at my local pawn shop that is owned by my neighbor. He told me that was what he had in it and that it had been in the case for a while so he would let me have it for that price. I am not a fan of the guns so I was not interested in it for myself and I would not take advantage of his willingness to do me a favor just to make a few bucks on the gun. However, it was a great deal for someone that wanted one.

Sounds like the guy offered you a great deal.

Last edited by shootniron; September 18, 2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old September 18, 2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Sparks1957

New? As in new in box? Run, don't walk, and grab that p226. That's a hell of a deal.

Ask the right questions, however, and inspect it carefully of course. It could have a defect, or someone simply may not have understand its value or needed cash badly.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Evan-0-Matic

... Not so sure now.

Hmm... Well, i was looking at some photos of similar, if not the same 226's last night and remembered that the one at the show, the plastic guide rod was protruding from the front of the gun about 1cm or so...

Is that normal? I racked the slide a couple times to see if it was the spring getting hung up, but it just kept sticking out. Also the slide did not seem to have the E2 roll markings (?)

And yeah, the dealer claims it NIB, has the box, 2 mags (dark oliver drab 15rders).
Old September 18, 2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Sparks1957

No, that is not normal at all. The slide wasn't locked back either?

Sounds like the wrong guide rod is in there, which makes me wonder what other parts have been thrown in. NIB means original parts, as shipped out of the factory.

Anyone else have any ideas about that?
Old September 18, 2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Evan-0-Matic

Yeah... that's what i thought :[

The dealer claimed it was because of the 'new' guide rod setup which came in with the whole E2 change-up.
Old September 18, 2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Evan-0-Matic

And nope, it still stuck out no matter what i did.... the slide moved in and out of battery completely.
Old September 18, 2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Sparks1957

I think you may want to pass on this one. You can find some gently-used ones on gunbroker or gunsamerica for that price, or talk to your LGS and see if they can get a CPO for you.

or, if you have the cash, go for a new one. One of my Sigs is an oldie I bought used, and I did buy my p229 new just because I could.

the p226 is a work of art, you owe it to yourself to get a good one.