The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2009, 03:00 PM   #1
ergoman
Registration in progress

powder check die

Any comments on the hornady (visual check) and rcbs (locks up the press) powder check dies? Are there any other types? Read that the rcbs is difficult to set and some people have had problems with consistency. I have a Dillon 550.
thank you
Old January 4, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Tuckerp229

I own and use the Dillon XL 650 with the accessory powder check die system. First because it protects against any type of overcharge and undercharge. Second because it works and third because I hardly notice it is there meaning it does not get in the way of my reloading nor is it difficult to set up.

I wouldn't reload on my progressive without it.
Old January 4, 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
ergoman
Registration in progress

powder check

Do you know if that would fit on a 550? Only saw it listed with the 650 on the website.
thank you
Old January 4, 2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Don H

The Hornady powder cop die is only useful if you look at it each time you pull the handle. The RCBS lock-out die locks itself up and doesn't allow you to complete the stroke. I prefer the RCBS - even then I do a visual check of the powder level as I place the bullet on the case.
Old January 5, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
F. Guffey

Ergoman, I have both, it is either or but not both as the lock out die is used with straight wall cases, the visual is used with bottle neck cases.

F. Guffey
Old January 5, 2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Alleykat

I use the RCBS Lockout Die. Not too complicated to me.
Old January 5, 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
BigJimP

I have a Dillon 650 and use it with the Dillon powder check die 100% of the time.

You cannot put a powder check die on the Dillon 550 or SDB because it needs a tool head - with an extra station in it. Its a big down side to the 550 or the SDB Dillon machines, in my opinion. I'm not saying you can't load safely without a powder check / but it sure gives you a lot of extra security that things are going as planned. But I still follow good basic procedures when loading:

1. I dump the 1st 5 powder drops when I start up press
2. I check first 10 drops with scale
3. when I make sure drops are on target / have 5 drops in a row at target ( and + or minus 0.1 grain is not ok ) - then I run a few.
4. I check every 10th round - for powder drop.
5. then because I'm using a powder check die / I check occasionally, maybe every 25th round or so
6. If I had no powder check die / I would keep checking every 10th round / and shut everything down if I got even 0.1gr variation.