The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 14, 2018, 12:07 PM   #26
Metal god

So since reading this thread I've been in and out of my safe many times . In that time I've handled maybe a third of the firearms in the safe . I'm very sad to admit that I don't wipe down my guns as much as I thought I did . I used to much more but recently bought a much bigger safe and it is located outside my gun room . Meaning my guns are no longer in a location where all my cleaning supplies are so that rag I used to us is not close by . This has resulted in me not wiping my guns down every time I handle them .

This will change today , I will now keep that wipe down rag inside the new safe which should allow me to wipe down after each time I handle a firearm . As stated in my earlier post 90% of my firearms are either SS , parkerized , Nitride or have some other anti corrosion coating on them . I have maybe 3-5 blued firearms and they are deep in the safe and don't get handled much at all . I am though getting to the point of my annual wipe down of everything in the safe so all should be gtg here very soon .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 15, 2018, 10:38 PM   #27
mr bolo

I avoid excessive handling and never let others touch / fondle my gun, no dry firing, no racking the slide or dropping the slide on an empty chamber

no touching / fondeling without permission

I also pick it up by the grip and avoiding contact with the metal if possible, then wipe it down with a oiled cloth before putting it away.

always wash hands before handling, never handle a firearm with sweaty hands

Im lucky I have very clean / dry hands, some people have sweating hands all the time.