The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2018, 11:14 PM   #1
Wayneinky

9mm SWC ?

I am just wondering why you don't see a lot of vendors offering SWC bullets for the 9mm like you see for the 45 ACP. Is there something about the SWC that makes it better or worse for one caliber then the other?
Old May 17, 2018, 05:14 AM   #2
Hammerhead

SWC's are traditionally slowfire bullseye loads meant to cut full caliber holes in scoring targets, usually the realm of 1911s in 45 automatic.
9's generally aren't used for that. Feed problems are another issue. Even in 45 auto many guns don't feed SWC's.
Old May 17, 2018, 06:19 AM   #3
springer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneinky View Post
I am just wondering why you don't see a lot of vendors offering SWC bullets for the 9mm like you see for the 45 ACP. Is there something about the SWC that makes it better or worse for one caliber then the other?
Actually, I've used .357 cast LSWC, intended for 38Spl/.357Mag, in both my 9's (SIG938 and Beretta M9) without any problems for years. Also use the same in my 1911 in 38Super. Just taper crimp instead of roll crimping in the groove and fire away.

Pushed at mid-level velocities, they make great, inexpensive, but very accurate loads for me.

FWIW, I've also pushed 148gr. DEWC in a 38Super without any feed problems. IMHO, feed problems with ammo are more likely to be due to a gun or magazine problem.
Old May 17, 2018, 06:34 AM   #4
disseminator

They're out there, whether or not your gun will feed them reliably is another matter.

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-re...product_id=486
Old May 17, 2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Mobuck

Since most 9mm pistols are designed to feed a rounded nose profile, the SWC may cause feeding problems. I've loaded a lot of SWC bullets in 9mm w/o much problem but only for casual shooting.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:48 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

It's primarily a feeding thing. A .45 will feed 'em, but a 9mm won't normally feed 'em well.
"...SWC's are traditionally slow fire bullseye loads..." Depends on the cartridge. WC's are target bullets in most cartridges. SWC's are used in .45's because a WC won't feed. Most current .45 pistols are set up to feed 'em, but that wasn't always true. Doing it is just extending the sides of the feed ramp up the rear edges of the chamber.
The few .38 Special pistols like the Smith 52 and Gold Cups that use WC's exclusively are specially made for 'em. Those pistols won't feed anything but WC's.
Old May 17, 2018, 09:00 PM   #7
jell-dog
Retired Screen Name

I have had great success with MBC’s coated SWC in all my 9mm.
http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...ary=&keywords=
JD
Old May 19, 2018, 05:10 PM   #8
gwpercle

The Lee mould 358-105-SWC , listed as 38 special , 38 S&W 357 mag., has a little note under it " Works great in 9mm Luger" ... and it does.
I have a Walther P38 9mm that loves that little SWC bullet , sized .357 it shoots into one ragged hole groups to the pistols fixed sights! Just make sure your gun has enough throat to accept the bullet and...here's the big and, they feed properly .
In semi auto bullets the truncated cone design is a modified SWC to help with the feeding.
Gary
Old May 19, 2018, 09:07 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

My 9mm's feed 125 LSWC's just fine.

The problem I had with them is leading and accuracy. Both may be corrected by getting a .357" diameter slug (as opposed to .356"). But I just never got around to pursuing it. I don't shoot a lot of 9.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:11 AM   #10
btreanor

I had trouble feeding the Lee 105 SWC in a few of my 9mms. The RN or truncated nose bullet designs have always worked for me, however.
Old May 21, 2018, 03:18 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Original LSWC's and the later H&G 68 profile and some later shorter shapes were designed for target work, but ones designed by Elmer Keith were mainly for their killing power from revolvers. There's some history here. NEI makes a whole slew of SWC .356" bullet molds starting at 115 grains. They also make a .355" full wadcutter mold.

1911's were typically modified to feed SWC's. Other pistols will have differing needs and appetites.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 21, 2018, 07:13 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
and the later H&G 68 profile
The ones I have tried are these: http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...=5&secondary=8

MoBuCo advertises them as an "H&G 68 clone."

When it comes to loading lead slugs for 9mm, my attention span was short.
Old May 22, 2018, 04:32 AM   #13
rc

swc bullets are really sensitive to seating depth. In 40 cal, I seat them just over flush with the case mouth and taper crimp. Any further out and you will hit the rifling before the action closes and any farther in and the case mouth will hang up during feeding. Not a very good choice for 9mm. That's why you see "truncated" designs for semi autos..... but in many guns they will work as has been stated....if you load them to a length that will feed.
Old May 22, 2018, 07:19 AM   #14
David R

Loading LSWC in my 45 ACP, I set the OAL so it headspaces on the bullet, not the case. It makes for good feeding and best accuracy.

Going to try some coated lead SWC in my Springfield RO Champion.

David