The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 16, 2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Pathfinder45

.22LR Marlin model 99M1 age?

I recently purchased an older Marlin model 99M1. It was a nostalgia motivated purchase as I bought one new for my first gun back around 1971 when I was 16. According to Numrich, some of the parts, notably the stock, etc., were changed from original model to later models. How can I know whether I have the older version or later version? Clues: This rifle has no serial number. The bolt hold-open mechanism differs from my first rifle in that with this rifle the bolt handle is pushed inward while retracted to hold the bolt open; whereas my first rifle had a small, vertical, spring-loaded plunger pin in the bolt handle that engaged a slot in the receiver to achieve the same results. If anyone can help me with this then I can order the correct parts. Also, the original rear receiver sight is missing and Numrich is sold out of them. Anybody got an original? I'm planning to just make a shooter out of it as Phase-One. Phase-Two will be to restore it to substantially better condition with genuine parts. It's got some rough edges and abused screws but it's not a wreck either. The barrel looks excellent inside and out. Thanks ahead of time for any help. Pathfinder
Old November 17, 2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Scorch

No serial number = pre-1968.
Old November 17, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Bailey Boat

I have an original 99 M1 rear sight in good condition for 40.00 and front sights for 20.00.. PM if interested...
Old December 4, 2011, 07:03 PM   #4
mkk41

I've got it's sister , the 7-shot box mag fed 989-M2. Mine's a pre-'68 too as it has no ser.no.