The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 17, 2014, 06:21 PM   #201
Hal

Nope - I just know what I like and what I don't like.
I have zip against the L frame.
It's a good gun.

It's just not for me.

I really don't know why people can't accept that?

Would you rather have me lie about it?
Old April 19, 2014, 09:51 AM   #202
LouisianaAviator

What's "best" is pretty subjective. The S&W and Ruger are pretty much equal when it comes to the basic necessities, ie reliability, longevity, durability. The rest is up to the shooter. They both fulfill the same role and do it quite admirably. Things like ergonomics, ease of use, ect. Depend on the shooter's preferences.
Old April 21, 2014, 11:18 PM   #203
BusGunner007

Yes.
Yes, it is.
Old April 22, 2014, 01:18 AM   #204
skidder

Nothing wrong with a GP.

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old October 12, 2017, 05:50 PM   #205
Jeff #111

I own a couple GP100 models (3" & 4" versions), a S&W 686 4", three S&W Model 19s, a S&W Model 65 and a S&W Model 28 4". I like all of them. I'm very diplomatic. Plaid is my favorite color.
Old October 12, 2017, 08:51 PM   #206
ifithitu

I have the Ruger GP 100 .357 Mag. 4.2" MC & S&W 686-6 .357 Mag. 4". For my money they both get's an A+. Just my opinion.
Old October 12, 2017, 09:07 PM   #207
Ghost1958

The security six would handle .357 Mag factory loads and hot reloads with ease.
Mine went shot for shot with my then bro in laws Smith eating his hot reloads. Until the cylinder fell out of his Smith that is.

The Ruger revolvers are biker b of revolvers, while the Smith's are the prom queens.
They aint the prettiest. But they'll be around when it counts long after the prom queen ran for home LOL.
Old October 12, 2017, 09:59 PM   #208
BBarn

It depends on what is most important to the individual. Personally, I think the GP100 is the best overall 6 shot .357 ever made. With the front crane latch it's stronger than the Security Six. It's a good bit smaller than an N frame Smith or a Dan Wesson. If size doesn't matter, then a Redhawk would be tough to beat overall.

But if a superb trigger is of the utmost importance, a Smith or Python would be better. If accuracy is of the utmost importance I'm not sure any other double action revolver can compete with an adjustable barrel Dan Wesson, especially at 100 yards and beyond.
Old October 13, 2017, 01:06 AM   #209
Danoobie

IMO, maybe it can be argued that the GP100 is the best overall value for the money.
But that's because it rates better than most, in most features.

I would have to disagree that it's the outright best. But for the average Joe, with the
average budget and shooting needs, it's hard to do better.
Old October 13, 2017, 04:29 PM   #210
Laz

Of course. (Drop mic and exit). LOL

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old October 13, 2017, 10:52 PM   #211
Dave T

I used to have a saying I passed own the the CCW classes I taught.

When stronger, uglier guns are built Ruger will build them.

I came up with that when Ruger announced the GP-100 and the discontinuation of the Security-Six.

I haven't changed my mind yet. (smile)

Dave
Old October 13, 2017, 11:18 PM   #212
John J. McCarthy, Jr

The greatest of anything is a matter of opinion.

My 4-inch GP100 is one of my two EDC's and I love it.

But that's just my opinion.

http://www.anamericanwithagun.com/
Old October 14, 2017, 06:42 AM   #213

Yes, it is a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that it is the greatest .357 revolver and I came to that conclusion years ago and have been saying that ever since.

I probably own several dozen S&W revolvers including the Model 28, Model 27, Model 19 (x2), Model 66, and a 686. I have shot or owned most of the .357 revolvers out there at one time or another including the Python.

Most of them have some really nice points about them. Some have great triggers and really smooth actions. Maybe I am not a good enough shot, but I never fired one that was remarkably more accurate than the rest. Some are nice and light (for a .357 revolver). Some are much more heavy duty and can take a lot of "abuse".......................

But this isn't about my favorite revolver. When I came to the conclusion that the GP-100 was the best: that means TO ME an all around revolver taking all the goods and the bads into consideration.

I have a 4" GP-100 that I probably bought 20 years ago. It's stainless, it's about as accurate as any other .357 revolver I ever shot. It is very rugged but at the same time, it isn't markedly bigger than average. It feels good in my hand. The action/trigger are average. The sights are average. It has a very solid lock-up. One thing about it that I really like is that you can EASILY completely disassemble it. If you are out in the rain or whatever, it all comes apart EASILY which is definitely not the case with Smith or Colt.

All in all, I believe it IS the best .357 revolver out there.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old October 14, 2017, 11:58 AM   #214
jackmoser65

Quote:
Is the Ruger GP100 the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made?
It's good but not that good.
Old October 14, 2017, 12:42 PM   #215
SA1911

The GP-100 is mediocre at best.

Many handgun aficionados consider the Model 27-2 to be the best revolver ever made; however, Korth is probably a better revolver: http://www.korthusa.com/revolver_en.htm

The Colt Python became a media Icon. However, it did develop problems after continual magnum use.

The GP-100 ranks near the bottom of revolvers. But it does have its utility. No one cares if a copy were to fall from 35k feet.
Old October 14, 2017, 12:50 PM   #216
hammie

@MIKE IRWIN (if you're still here on this thread): Earlier you said that a 4 inch K frame was the best revolver, considering all the characteristics we're discussing. However, you went on to state that a 6 inch barrel on a K frame spoiled its balance.

I actually agree. I have a 4 inch, model 15, and it is a joy to hold and to shoot. Like you said, a 4 inch K frame is the hands down winner. But I also own a 6 inch model 14 (.38 spl), a 6 inch model 17 (.22 LR) and a 6 inch model 48 (.22 WMR). They're all K frames and I never found the balance to be off with the 6 inch barrels, and they're a pleasure to shoot at the range.

So I'm just curious about, and would appreciate your wise and experienced perspective on those 6 inch K frame target revolvers. Thanks ahead of time.
Old October 14, 2017, 02:29 PM   #217
Nathan

I agree that the 4" K frame 357 is the best ever. That said the GP100 is pretty darn good.

Anybody else notice the OP was 2014!

I think this could have come from 1985 though!
Old October 14, 2017, 07:10 PM   #218
ShootistPRS

The GP 100 has strength and durability that far outweigh any of its short-comings. The trigger will never be as light as a Smith but then Ruger fought the government attempt to put safety locks on guns while Smith just folded. Ruger may not have the smoothness of the action that Smith has but when lawsuits were threatened over the use of guns in crimes Ruger fought the case and Smith just paid a settlement out of court. Because some fought we now have legislation where a gun manufacturer can't be held liable for the actions of a third party. We also have Smiths that have locks on them and newer ones that don't.
Ruger not only makes guns they also protect the customers from unwarranted measures by the courts and the government. I have a Ruger, that has been fed ammo that will shake most Smiths apart, for over 45 years and have never had to have the gun tuned or any parts replaced. When you buy a Smith you get a note in the manual that tells you not to use a steady diet of the rounds it is chambered in because it is not strong enough. That note tells me that the Ruger is a better gun. The Ruger also comes from a better manufacturer. When I was shooting competition the guys using Smiths had their guns tuned up after 2-300 rounds. I went through more than 10000 rounds a year and never lost any accuracy in my Ruger. I actually set a record as the first and only person to sweep the Silhouette course twice. I don't put that many rounds through my Rugers now but they still shoot 1" groups from the bench using the same 19.1 grains of H110 under a 140 grain JHP that I have been using since I was shooting hunters pistol silhouette back in the mid 70s.
Is the Ruger GP100 the greatest double action revolver? It is better than my Security-Six and it is at least the toughest DA revolver so I would have to say yes and it is backed by the greatest manufacturer too. Just my considered opinion, yours may be different.
Old October 15, 2017, 12:05 AM   #219
weblance

I started this thread. In 2013, I bought a new production 4" stainless GP100, and a new production 4" 686 Plus. I wanted to compare them, and decide which I preferred. I never warmed up to the jerky 686 DA trigger. The Ruger had a longer, but predictable DA trigger. The accuracy was the same. The 686 had a better SA trigger. The 686 had softer edges, the GP100 had sharp edges, and a razors edge on the hammer spur. The 686 cost $200 more. I shot several thousand rounds from each, and I decided the 686 just didn't have the trigger pull that I liked. I traded it away, on a 6" stainless GP100.

Taking cost, ruggedness, and performance into consideration, I still feel the GP100 is the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinion, and I thank those who took the time to post. I'm glad there are some of you who agree with me.
Old October 15, 2017, 12:29 AM   #220
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...the GP100 had sharp edges, and a razors edge on the hammer spur
Isn't that the truth!

The first time I took mine to the range, I came back with my thumb shredded. Had to dull the checkering with a file before the next trip.
Old October 15, 2017, 06:46 AM   #221
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hammie,

It's a personal preference.

I have K frame revolvers with barrels in 2.5", 4", 5", and 6".

For general use and shooting, I prefer 4". Always have, always will.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 15, 2017, 12:07 PM   #222
jackmoser65

Quote:
The GP-100 is mediocre at best.
I don't think that is a fair assessment either.
Old October 15, 2017, 08:26 PM   #223
Doc Holliday 1950

I'd stake my life on my GP100 & I do everytime that I carry it.

Doc
Old October 15, 2017, 09:02 PM   #224
K_Mac

I don't have enough experience with revolvers to know which one is the best ever. I do know that my 4" GP100 is a joy to shoot, and I shoot it well. It has a very good trigger that has improved over the years. It can handle full house .357 mag loads or powder puff .38 wad cutters equally well. I think it may be the best value in the current market, but that is just my opinion. Your milage may vary.
Old October 15, 2017, 10:54 PM   #225
WyMark

Yes.