The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
LivewireBlanco

Installing a 1911 trigger, first time.

I have a Springfield GI 1911 that I'm about to put an Ed Brown trigger in. This will be my first 1911 trigger install and any advice would be appreciated. I have read a bit and watched some YouTube videos on the subject but other than that I'm going to go slow on the fitting and hope for the best.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
RickB

Since there are a number of areas that might need adjusting, you have to go slowly to make sure you aren't filing or tweaking the wrong area. Usually, I have had to adjust only the height of the trigger shoe, with a small amount fo filing on the top and/or bottom, but sometimes there will be issues with the fit of the bow, both in length and width, so you just have to do adjustments in the correct order.
I've installed Videcki and Greider triggers in fifteen minutes, and I've spent hours trying to fit a Dlask trigger.
Old November 5, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
LivewireBlanco

OK I know about the shoe but when it comes to the bow I may be asking more questions.
Old November 6, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4
RickB

First thing, try to feed the trigger into the frame backwards. It takes the shoe out of the equation if you are trying to find sticking points, and if there is a problem with the bow, trying it both ways can help determine where the problem is. You can also use a magic marker to help locate areas that are heavily rubbing.