The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Kwik2010

CZ SP01 Tactical

Howdy everyone. Friday I picked up a new addition to my small collection. I've only shot a few DA/SA firearms and I'm loving this one. It shoots like a dream compared to every other 9mm I've owned. I took it out yesterday and put it through the paces. I had about 600 rounds with me spread out fairly evenly between WWB 115 grn FMJ, WWB 147 grn JHP, and Federal American Eagle 115 grn FMJ. I burned through all that with only a couple hiccups in the first hundred ish rounds. One did not go fully into battery about the 3rd magazine in (WWB). The second issue was once when I slammed the magazine in it during a reload the slide closed on it's own. Not a big deal as my Glocks do it as well if I smack em hard enough but this one caused the round to nose dive and catch on the feed ramp. I couldn't make it do it again after several attempts. The remaining 400ish rounds went through it without a problem. I then switched to the Hornady CD 135 grn Flex Locks. These ran beautifully. I put 4 boxes of this through it to make sure it would run perfectly and I had no problems. The only thing now is I need to find a holster for it. I tried Alien gear but they don't make a holster that will fit it due to the difference in trigger guard shape. I've got an email in to Simply Rugged to see if he can make a Defcon 3 holster for it. I swear by the Silver Dollar I have for my SP101 so I'm hoping he can. If he can't does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't plan to make this my #1 daily carry but it will definitely end up in the rotation during the winter months after it's proven itself. I've got a few of the 16 round Mec Gar magazines coming so I have some flush fit magazines for carry. Any other suggestions? I've read in a few places that the 18 round magazines from CZ tend to have issues so I plan to slowly build up a stockpile of the MEC GAR mags as time and money allow.

Last edited by Kwik2010; January 5, 2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old February 4, 2018, 12:29 PM   #2
Chui

Nice pistol!

I was thinking of purchasing a Phantom - same pistol only polymer. They both feel phenomenal in the hand.

IF I purchase one I'll send it to Cajun Gun Works for their Pro Grade treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 4, 2018, 01:24 PM   #3
OhioGuy

Welcome to the CZ family

The P-01 is a heckuva good shooter! I think any CZ fits that category

I made a P07 my primary range and carry gun after renting its larger P09 brother and walking out in love. I never meant to switch to DA/SA! It was the price of getting that gun!

I've found that I can shoot DA almost as well as any striker trigger so long as I don't overthink it. If my grip is good and I pull smoothly through the shot, no problem. The instant I start to doubt and try to "clean up my sights," I throw the shot.

Just from feeling in a store, the P-01 seemed to have a smoother pull than the P09 or P07. Stick with it and soon you'll be selling your house to buy more CZs!
Old February 4, 2018, 02:53 PM   #4
GarandTd

I have a 19 round MecGar cz75b mag for my CZ clone that has been trouble free. If those are compatible with the sp01, I recommend them.
Old February 4, 2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Kwik2010

Thank you all for the kind words. I'll look into those mags. This thing is great. I braved the winter storm this morning to give it a few more shots. I may have to get the compact version as well someday.
Old February 4, 2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik2010 View Post
Howdy everyone. Friday I picked up a new addition to my small collection. I've only shot a few DA/SA firearms and I'm loving this one. It shoots like a dream compared to every other 9mm I've owned. I took it out yesterday and put it through the paces. I had about 600 rounds with me spread out fairly evenly between WWB 115 grn FMJ, WWB 147 grn JHP, and Federal American Eagle 115 grn FMJ. I burned through all that with only a couple hiccups in the first hundred ish rounds. One did not go fully into battery about the 3rd magazine in (WWB). The second issue was once when I slammed the magazine in it during a reload the slide closed on it's own. Not a big deal as my Glocks do it as well if I smack em hard enough but this one caused the round to nose dive and catch on the feed ramp. I couldn't make it do it again after several attempts. The remaining 400ish rounds went through it without a problem. I then switched to the Hornady CD 135 grn Flex Locks. These ran beautifully. I put 4 boxes of this through it to make sure it would run perfectly and I had no problems. The only thing now is I need to find a holster for it. I tried Alien gear but they don't make a holster that will fit it due to the difference in trigger guard shape. I've got an email in to Simply Rugged to see if he can make a Defcon 3 holster for it. I swear by the Silver Dollar I have for my SP101 so I'm hoping he can. If he can't does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't plan to make this my #1 daily carry but it will definitely end up in the rotation during the winter months after it's proven itself. I've got a few of the 16 round Mec Gar magazines coming so I have some flush fit magazines for carry. Any other suggestions? I've read in a few places that the 18 round magazines from CZ tend to have issues so I plan to slowly build up a stockpile of the MEC GAR mags as time and money allow.

BEAUT love it nice HD gun.
Old February 6, 2018, 03:01 PM   #7
fl_rich

I've got one that hosts my MysticX can. Ive got about 1200 rounds down the pipe and other than getting carbon saturated to the point it wont cycle it's a sweet combo! The suppressor loads the slide up with carbon. With the full length slide rails it slows the slide causing fte`s.

Love mine! good lookuck with yours.
Old February 8, 2018, 10:33 AM   #8
Kwik2010

Hopefully I don't have to worry about that. I don't have a suppressor and don't plan to in the future. But thanks for the advice. I do have a question regarding the sights on it though. I noticed the rear sight is staked and also has a set screw. Down the road, if I decide to replace the sights, what's the best way to go about it. I've never had to replace anything that was staked. Do I have to remove the stake mark after pushing the old one out? I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing any metal work to the slide myself. If I need to take it to a gunsmith I will. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 8, 2018, 05:04 PM   #9
Model12Win

There is nothing wrong with that CZ.

Not uncommon to have a bobble or two in the first few boxes of ammo. It's what we refer to in the industry as "the breaking in period". Also, the slide closing issue is NOT an issue. Like you said, Glocks do it and some even consider it a bonus for faster tactical reloads.

Enjoy that gun. The CZs are some of the nicest combat guns in human history, behind the 1911 and Browning Hi-Power of course.
Old February 8, 2018, 05:39 PM   #10
peacefulgary

I really like CZ pistols!
The very first handgun that I bought for myself was a CZ 75B.
And it was extremely accurate!
Old February 9, 2018, 07:32 PM   #11
B.O.F.H.

My CZ SP-01 tactical continued to have feeding issues upwards of 2000 rounds. My experience is that CZ springs are week. I added plus strength springs to my CZ magazines and bought more MecGar. I also polished up the feed ramp, chamber and breech face. Probably overkill, but she feeds everything now, even steel cased.

I am not knocking the gun as it is one of my favorites. Shooting it, especially with a light attached is just too easy. Accuracy is second to none and breaking it in, or sending it off for custom work, leaves one with a really slick action.
Old February 10, 2018, 01:27 PM   #12
uradaisyifudo

Crossbreed makes holsters for the SP 01, i have one AIWB, and like it.
Old February 10, 2018, 02:14 PM   #13
Kwik2010

I'll probably polish mine up a tad as well. I'm still waiting on my Mec Gar mags from Brownell's. Thanks for the cross breed recommendation. If I decide I need one with the large pad I'll look into it. I ended up ordering through Simply Rugged. He offered one for the SP-01. It didn't say tactical in the options so I wasn't sure it would fit or what the difference was. After a little more research I figured out they're the same firearm except for the decocker. I got my order in. I'm sure I'll be waiting a while but them holsters are worth it in my opinion.
Old February 11, 2018, 01:30 AM   #14
armoredman

High Noon Holsters makes some absolutely incredible CZ leather and kydex rigs. Welcome to the addiction!
Old February 19, 2018, 12:43 PM   #15
Kwik2010

I took it out today and got another 200 through it using the Mec Gar magazines. I planned to shoot more but it was 1 degree out so I gave up and went home when my fingers and ears started aching. But I'm happy to say that the new magazines work flawlessly. I had one nose dive again while clambering the first round from the factory 18rd magazines (once again inadvertently released while seating the magazine). It was cleared with a simple tap and rack drill but because I err on the side of caution, they're going to be relegated to range use only. Thank you all for the input. Still waiting for my Simply Rugged holster. I'll update with photos when it comes in.