The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Micro man

Beretta 92 issue

I recently purchased a Burris Fast Fire 3 to try on my Beretta 92SB. Took it to the range to try out today and had some issues.i was loading 4 rounds in the magazine and after the 4th shot noticed the slide did not lock open. This happened several times in a row, the brass ejected ok but the slide was closed.

I also had 2 instances when the last round in the mag did not chamber fully and jammed the slide. Since I've never had any issues with this gun before I assume the weight of the Fast Fire on the slide is causing the problem.

I was shooing Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ not reloads . I was hoping the members has some suggestions other than removing the Fast Fire. My shooing was better with the red dot, and wanted to continue to use the Beretta as a range gun.
Old February 2, 2018, 06:01 PM   #2
AndyWest

Is the gun or the magazines or anything else new other than the FastFire? If not you could try 9mm NATO loads - they're a touch more expensive but will push the slide a little harder. Or buy a reduced power recoil spring so you could use "normal" ammo.

But of course before committing to long-term changes do lots of testing; different ammo, magazines (and which ones aren't locking open), etc. Then you'll be confident adjusting the gun/ammo to fix it.
Old February 2, 2018, 06:40 PM   #3
Tom-R2

I would try increasing the power of the rounds a little, or change springs and find a combo that works well for you.
Old February 2, 2018, 09:50 PM   #4
Prndll

Blazer Brass 115gr. FMJ works great in lesser guns, but Beretta 92's (IMO) need a diet of no less than 124gr. for proper function.

I've had no issues with the Ruger ARX's but I think my 92A1 really prefers HP's. The 92FS is less finicky.

I can't see myself ever putting any kind of electronic anything on mine. Although there are some True Glow and Trijicon sights that have my attention.
Old February 3, 2018, 12:56 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I was hoping the members has some suggestions other than removing the Fast Fire.
Some things to try.

Try hotter ammo. Although a stock 92 should be ok with light practice ammo (I've never had any trouble with light 115gr loadings in any of the 3 or 4 Beretta 92 pistols I've owned) it is true that adding weight to the slide could conceivably cause problems.

If you haven't done it already, try installing a "D" hammer spring in the pistol.
Old February 3, 2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro man
I recently purchased a Burris Fast Fire 3 to try on my Beretta 92SB. Took it to the range to try out today and had some issues.i was loading 4 rounds in the magazine and after the 4th shot noticed the slide did not lock open. This happened several times in a row, the brass ejected ok but the slide was closed.

I also had 2 instances when the last round in the mag did not chamber fully and jammed the slide. Since I've never had any issues with this gun before I assume the weight of the Fast Fire on the slide is causing the problem.

I was shooing Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ not reloads . I was hoping the members has some suggestions other than removing the Fast Fire. My shooing was better with the red dot, and wanted to continue to use the Beretta as a range gun.
Have you shot the BB 115 factory ammo prior to installing the FF dot ? If yes and the ammo cycled reliably prior, either your 92 needs a good cleaning , or the added weight of the FF is causing excessive inertia on the slide slowing down the slide action speed. I don't have a FF on my 92FS but I do have the Vortex Venom on my FNX45T. I'm thinking the same as others, try some higher pressure ammo to get the slide fully traveling. One comment on adding dot optics to a semi pistol is the issue with my FNX is the fact at how quickly the optic's glass get dirty. The gas exiting the chamber sprays all over my Venom dot and after about 30 shots the dot is getting hazy to see. I also shoot my FNX supressed and that's even worse. May not be an issue with your 92 but just an FYI. I'm actually ready to remove my Venom and go back to fixed sights.
Old February 3, 2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Micro man

Thanks for the helpful info. I have used BB 115 ammo in this gun before without any problems . I plan on giving it a good cleaning and try some 124 gr ammo. If that doesn't work I may replace the "D" spring ( I may do this anyway) . I'll try another mag as well. RC I had not thought about chamber spray on the glass but it makes sense , i was shooting indoors and the lighting was not good at the range.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old February 3, 2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Slamfire

You added weight to the slide and now your pistol short strokes. That is the bottom line.

My Bullseye 1911 has a Ultradot on top. Baer does not recommend any bullets heavier than 200 grain and recommends target loads only. I believe this is because they are concerned about frame peening from the slide. So, I do think that using higher pressure ammunition will cycle your pistol better, but it may have unwelcome side effects. Pressure is never your friend, it will in time reach around and bite you.

So, try different ammunition, or reloads with slower burning powders. Slower powders have a higher pressure at unlock, that will accelerate the slide. You know, try lubricating your ammunition, I do that all the time in Bullseye matches. Put a drop of oil on each, or every other round, in the stack. It is messy as hell, but it will increase cycle reliability as it breaks the friction between case and chamber. One other thing to do, is get a lighter recoil spring. But, with a lighter recoil spring, you risk frame peening if you fire higher pressure ammunition.
Old February 5, 2018, 08:10 AM   #9
Micro man

Slam fire beautiful gun, bet it shoots sweet. Talking about springs, my 92 has probably a 1000 rounds through it but is over 30 years old. That said could the recoil spring be in need of replacement after that length of time.
Old February 5, 2018, 01:53 PM   #10
fourbore

Quote:
You added weight to the slide and now your pistol short strokes. That is the bottom line.
Thank you I was curious and trying to follow this. I am surprised anyone would do this! I have seen optics mounted to the frame with a side mount. this approach is new to me. Problems not a surprise, but; based on feedback provided, others must be doing this with some degree of success. That must be hard on the optic too.
Old February 5, 2018, 09:11 PM   #11
Slamfire

Quote:
Thank you I was curious and trying to follow this. I am surprised anyone would do this! I have seen optics mounted to the frame with a side mount. this approach is new to me. Problems not a surprise, but; based on feedback provided, others must be doing this with some degree of success. That must be hard on the optic too.
Bullseye shooters prefer slide mounted sights as it is easy to grab the sight and rack the slide. As for durability, heck if I know. I have shot well over 5000 rounds through that Les Baer with an Ultradot sight on top, and it works fine. I do expect with time, the sight will loosen up internally. Which is also true of rifle scopes. I am shooting at fifty yards, a 200 LSWC with 4.0 grains Bullseye at 740 fps. At 25 yards, 3.5 grains of Bullseye in hot weather, that load will short stroke in cold weather. Bullseye shooters are shooting the least recoiling round that provides target grade accuracy. But, they shoot thousands of rounds per year.

I installed an Ultradot on top of this 9mm Kimber. These red dot sights are great for aiming for the elderly , just put the dot on the target. No fuzzy posts in the middle of fuzzy rear sights.

Old February 16, 2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Micro man

An update on my Beretta issues. I cleaned and lubed my 92( it was not very dirty) I bought a box of Sig 124 grain ammo to try and took it to the range today. The Beretta ran like a charm, no failure to feed, no stovepipe, no failure to lock open after the last round was fired. I'm convinced it needed the 124 gr ammo to function properly with the Red Dot attached.
Thanks for the suggestions , I did purchase a D spring which I still need to attach and a new recoil spring which I may or may not put in.
Old February 16, 2018, 05:39 PM   #13
DaleA

Nice. Lots of folk here appreciate it when poster comes back to finish the story. Thanks.
Old February 18, 2018, 11:53 AM   #14
Road_Clam

Had the same situation with my 9mm Uzi carbine. Another gun that is very fussy with ammo. Typical commercial 115 gr ammo was just not cycling. Spent like $100 on different brands of ammo, then did some research and low and behold, Uzis definately prefer 124 gr "+p" ammo to fully cycle the heavy robust bolt assembly. I did extensive reload testing and came up with a reliable load and velocities are high respectively to your typical 5" bbl handgun , but it's to be expected when shooting 9mm through a 16" bbl length.
Old February 20, 2018, 12:44 PM   #15
Auriemma

General info, The Burris FF3 RDS is a tiny thing, weighs in .9 oz or 25 grams. That's next to nothing. With an adapter for the rear sight, maybe 2 oz total.
I'd replace the recoil spring and see if that fixes it.
Henry Golden Boy 22LR
Old February 20, 2018, 08:19 PM   #16
marine6680

I would bet that the D spring would allow the use of the other ammo as well.

A slightly less difficult to cock hammer, reduces the overall resistance the slide has to overcome.

Change the recoil spring only as a last resort.