The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 9, 2013, 10:33 AM   #1
LivewireBlanco

1911 Plunger tube loose...

After installing a new trigger I noticed that my Springfield GI's plunger tube is loose on the back side by the safety. It's not bad, but I imagine it'll only get worse. Is it safe to shoot it a bit until I can take it to the local gun smith or should I fight the urge to try the new trigger until it's fixed?

Also, I saw the tool to fix it on the Brownells website. Would it be worth it to try and fix it myself?
Old November 9, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Roughedge

If you have enough metal left the staking tool will work. This is the tool I use when I build or repair one.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod9489.aspx
Old November 9, 2013, 05:14 PM   #3
polyphemus

Quote:
Is it safe to shoot it a bit
The answer here would be:no.
That part is supposed to be firmly staked for the gun to safely and properly
function,taking chances when you know that something is wrong is not prudent.
Old November 10, 2013, 10:57 AM   #4
LivewireBlanco

I honestly don't know how long its been loose or if it came that way from the factory. It doesn't come off and the grip holds it in place. What would the hazard be if it came off during firing?
Old November 10, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5
polyphemus

Please get that plunger tube secured.
This is the smiths' forum but to answer your question one possible accident
would be if the plunger tube detached during firing released the spring and caused an eye injury.Responsible firearm owners do not take unnecessary risks.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:10 PM   #6
LivewireBlanco

Thank you sir.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:38 PM   #7
HiBC

I have used the tool Brownell's has as the "Gunnrunner" brand.Seems like it might be sold elsewhere as the Strobel brand.It has a support block to go over the plunger tube and a bolt to provide the force.The first one I did,the plunger tube was distorted and would not accept the plungers.Had to ream it.

I might have used 0.5 white knuckle too much on the wrench.

If you look at the Brownell's vise grip based tool,they sell an accessory .It is a two diameter support wire that slips inside the plunger tube with a loop on one end.It works good.

Some use a little Loctite bearing mount for additional security.

For the staking tool,you will spend about$40,the support about $17,plus shipping.LocTite will be $6 or $8.

You get to decide if it is better to find a local gunsmith or tool up.

Unless you plan on building a few,it might be best to just have it done.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:58 PM   #8
LivewireBlanco

Yeah I'm gonna call a gunsmith and see what it will run. I only have 1 1911 so it doesn't seem I would use the too much to justify the expense.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:28 AM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna call a gunsmith and see what it will run. I only have 1 1911 so it doesn't seem I would use the too much to justify the expense.
Just a suggestion on something you may want to consider: But the staking tool, fix your gun, sell the tool on ebay, gunbroker, or offer it for sale on this site as used. Doing such would reduce the net cost considerably.
Old November 11, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
RickB

Proper 1911 grips pin the plunger tube to the frame, and you could shoot for years without knowing that the tube was loose (ask me how I know). I'd never buy a set of grips that didn't cover the plunger tube.
It's amazing how much is forgotten about the 1911, even though it's right there in front of us.
Old November 11, 2013, 01:59 PM   #11
LivewireBlanco

RickB, my grips actually do cover the plunger tube and that's why I have no idea when it became loose. The only reason I ever noticed was because I took it apart to install a new trigger and found it to be loose. It's not loose to where it would fall off, but the post near the safety moves a little bit. This is why I posted the question here.
Old November 11, 2013, 03:19 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

The grips do keep the tube from falling off, but it should be staked on properly. It was intended to be a permanent assembly. Some makers of similar pistols screwed the tube on, and that works OK, as well. Ruger casts it as part of the frame, so those presumably don't come loose without a hacksaw.

Jim
Old November 11, 2013, 07:25 PM   #13
cerberus65

1911s seem to breed - at least they have in my safe. I bought the tool at a point when I had fewer 1911s but could see the handwriting on the wall that I would be buying more.

The one I've had a problem with would back out and stay out. Yours sounds loose and held by the grip panel and so less dangerous and urgent.
Old November 12, 2013, 09:56 PM   #14
LivewireBlanco

Yeah that pretty much somes it up.
Old November 16, 2013, 09:53 AM   #15
tmlynch

Quote:
Just a suggestion on something you may want to consider: But the staking tool, fix your gun, sell the tool on ebay, gunbroker, or offer it for sale on this site as used. Doing such would reduce the net cost considerably.
Or maybe someone on this forum will rent you their tool for like $5-10, taking a deposit via PayPal, which will be refunded when you return the tool. I have rented tools this way via a car forum.

Good luck!
Tom