The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 17, 2015, 08:01 PM   #76
psalm7

What I never use on a firearm is original WD40 it leaves a gummy film behind that after time can stick small parts togeather .
Old January 17, 2015, 08:40 PM   #77
treg

I use three oils for various needs on my guns, AmsOil 80W-90 (heavy lube), Hopps gun oil (medium lube and anti corrosion), ATF (light lube).

In the winter, some parts run dry.

The AmsOil 80W-90 synthetic gear lube goes on revolver cylinder pins and auto loader rails and slides. Have never had a problem with a gummy CF slide even in sub-zero temps.
Old January 17, 2015, 08:57 PM   #78
JimPage

Psalm7 and all: WD40 contains chlorimates I understand. Ed Harris who was QC engineer at Ruger years ago forbad the use of it in the plant because it attacked the nickel in stainless steel. Several revolver barrels cracked where workers lubed the threads of the barrel as they threaded them into revolver frames. The barrels cracked as they were stored in the box from the contaminate. Above all don't use it on nickel plate as it will take the plating off.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Last edited by JimPage; January 17, 2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old February 20, 2018, 12:15 PM   #79
WyrTwister

If you wish to use a light oil , try Automatic Transmission Fluid .

For general purpose gun oil , 5W-30 synthetic that I use in our car .

I also have an oil can with motor oil + ATF + STP I use to lube my press .

Have not purchase gun oil in al long time .

As a teenager , I used the 3 in one oil Mom used on / in her sewing machine .

I use axle grease on the spots / points subject to high speed friction on a Garand or a M1A . Oil on the rest of the metal .

Wyr
God bless
Old February 20, 2018, 01:53 PM   #80
cw308

I'm sure a gun will work fine with what ever lube you use. As long as you clean it after firing. Someone stated in this post to prove to him if the automotive oil would be harmful to use . I guess I took the bait because the burning oil fields in Kuwait popped into my head. Stop the madness just buy a good gun oil. What ever you use , sorry it won't help you shoot any better . Keep it cleaned & lubed. KY an that's not Kentucky.
Old February 20, 2018, 10:34 PM   #81
Evan Thomas

This thread is three years old. I think the OP has probably made a decision by now.

Closed.