The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 25, 2018, 12:50 PM   #1
brotherg

My M39 turns out to be a m28

I ran across what I thought was a Mosin m39 in a little mom and pop. Turned out to be an M28. A good example of one, not the ski sling mount, Sig barrel, 12k serial, 1917 Tula receiver, 1928 gun, SY, and SA marked, numbers do not match but in good shape. I did not pay too much. Is this a good thing or bad thing? I still want an m39 though.
Old May 26, 2018, 06:03 AM   #2
Remington74

I found the "Russian Mosin Nagant" website and there is an interesting article on your rifle. It indicated that the M28 is a relatively rare find as many were lost in several of their wars. If you are into Mosins and their history I'd say it's a good find.
Old May 26, 2018, 06:43 AM   #3
44caliberkid

Years ago I bought 4 Mosins at a big gun auction. The collectors there weren't interested in them so I got away for $70 - $75 a piece. At home, I started researching markings and numbers and found I had an M27, one of the rarest Fins, and supposedly worth over $400 at the time. The thing is, how are you going to find the few people, who are Mosin crazy, who might pay up for one like that.
Old May 26, 2018, 06:51 AM   #4
brotherg

Thanks! I had not seen that one. But, I figured the m39 was going to complete my Mosin set. Now, I have to get another one ;-o.
Old May 26, 2018, 07:00 AM   #5
brotherg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Years ago I bought 4 Mosins at a big gun auction. The collectors there weren't interested in them so I got away for $70 - $75 a piece. At home, I started researching markings and numbers and found I had an M27, one of the rarest Fins, and supposedly worth over $400 at the time. The thing is, how are you going to find the few people, who are Mosin crazy, who might pay up for one like that.
True, to most people these are just some ole Mosin. I am not much of seller, have yet to let one go. Value is relative to me. If you have to sell one, you just have to find the right market, true of most things. The price point on these things is amazing when compared to the rarity. To be fair the seller told me what this thing was, I just did not believe him. For the price, I was getting a fin for a good deal, so it seems to have worked out.